American Beaten To Death In Dumaguete.

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

It is better to keep a low profile when possible. You won't catch me anywhere at 4am but in bed with my wife.

• Like 5

RoMac
Posted
Posted (edited)

The proper response is to call the authorities, not knock him out with a beer bottle and kill him.

He did not deserve to be smashed upside the head with a beer bottle by the staff members who make a living from all the beer they just sold him.

There are some things we will never know in this case.

Definitive details of who did what to who, said what to whom inside the bar leading up to the deadly ambush outside may never come to light. The only certainty is that Phil did not deserve to die; this is not how any soldier ought to die. By most accounts he had been engaged in local humanitarian activities as far back as typhoon Haiyan in 2013 so he obviously harboured no animosity towards Filipinos. As far as known, the assailants were bar staff, gainfully employed, and not some gang members bent on violence. Detach them all away from that booze-permeated session / scene and chances are you would have beheld commonplace folks just trying to get by, such that deadly belligerence would have been furthest from their minds.

Nothing except protecting the life of a loved one is worth loosing your life for .....  anything or everything else can be replaced ....

Nothing could be saner and more rational than the above defined position. But of course we have seen time and again that excessive alcohol use almost always end up jettisoning all of these life-preserving 'dictums' out the window. What I find extremely dismaying is that not one would-be good Samaritan appeared to want to do the right thing and move towards a man in distress, even after the assailants disengaged.

Well, he went down after the initial hit with the bottle and ... ok...at that point Phil was no longer a threat to anyone, so fear (due to his size)  was no longer a motivating factor in continuing to pummel the guy.

This of course is when cowards do their thing, when the threat of imminent injury to themselves is erased. This is also when the distinction between men and beasts disappear (men degraded to a pack of hyenas, a pack of wolves).

I am not so sure that Dumaguete is a good place to be a foreigner.

That is in itself a good reason to cross Dumaguete off a list of places where a foreigner might be reasonably safe.

I don't know, I've never been to Dumaguete, but that seems like an overly broad conclusion to come to based just on this particular incident. The fact that he was a foreigner may or may not have even been the main factor. How many times do things like this happen to locals all over the Philippines, and you just never hear about it.

In any case, he certainly didn't deserve this no matter what, but I'm not sure this incident says anything about the overall safety situation of foreigners in Dumaguete.

I doubt very much that the assault was prompted by the fact Phil was a foreigner. Local would-be felons and regular locals alike I would think avoid trouble with foreigners when they can, as there is a perception that punishment for crime perpetrated against foreigners is more severe, by judicial prerogative if not by extant law.

Booze and egos certainly played their part of yet another senseless death.  Just about everyday Filipinos, even among brothers or cousins, when they get into a drinking session, you might as well throw out all human compassion and sensitivity through the window.

May he rest in peace finally......apparently the world he left in was not at peace, perhaps even within himself.

Respectfully -- Jake 

Senseless death is right . . . of a human being bent on doing some tangible good in this impoverished corner of the world. Jake refers to the destructiveness (and he is again bang on) of unbridled, maniacal drinking that unfortunately no ethnicity in the world is completely immune from – not the measured, classy, civilized manner in which forum members herein wet their whistles (apparently anyway).

I end this with a one-line salute to Phil. May you now be in a better place soldier. Peace out!

Ron M.

Edited by RoMac
  • Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
How many of us know who to call in an emergency?

Why is that not used here? Is it used only in Canada and USA? We have large billboards in at least 3 locations with 5 emergency numbers, police, fire, rescue, etc but not one central number.

• Like 1

chico2663
Posted
Posted

i talked to his girlfriend on facebook and he stood her up for her birthday supper. Shame he didn't follow thru with it.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
i talked to his girlfriend on facebook

At least you can be pretty sure she is single.  :1 (103):

• Like 1

chico2663
Posted
Posted

she works at a bank and is pretty so don't know how long that will be. she just shared a xmas card that he sent to her family

• Like 1

chico2663
Posted
Posted
post-4940-0-79885700-1452483862_thumb.jp

post-4940-0-27553700-1452483912_thumb.jp

• Like 4

chico2663
Posted
Posted

if i overstepped my boundaries I am sorry

i am bob
Posted
Posted

How many of us know who to call in an emergency?

Why is that not used here? Is it used only in Canada and USA? We have large billboards in at least 3 locations with 5 emergency numbers, police, fire, rescue, etc but not one central number.

We have 911 here in Davao...

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
We have 911 here in Davao...

Duterte for president!

That goes to show that it can be done. Universality is not a concept in the PI.

• Like 5