Why Does A Review Have To Cost So Much? Are There Good Alternatives?

Frankenstein
Posted
Posted

Is there someone who could help me with this item : "review" for a board-exam?

Here in my place (Belgium/Germany) we are not familiar with it. Here to get pass the board-exam, you just study in your house or in a library just for free.

Seems that PH have a different system, one which includes a lot of fees/costs.

These reviews are very expensive (i heard some more than 100.000php) and i would like to know, if there is an alternative or some "do's" and "don't do's".

Especially for the reviews for following board-exams : Nurse, Electrical Engineer and Industrial Engineer.

If possible in Bohol.

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Frank, welcome to the forum. Lots of good guys and girls here ready to share what ever experiences they have.

To be honest though, I am unclear to what your referring to. Are you wanting to take an exam? A loved one? Can you be a bit more specific?

Don't worry about your English, heck some of us native English speakers cant understand each other :hystery:

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Is there someone who could help me with this item : "review" for a board-exam? Here in my place (Belgium/Germany) we are not familiar with it. Here to get pass the board-exam, you just study in your house or in a library just for free. Seems that PH have a different system, one which includes a lot of fees/costs. These reviews are very expensive (i heard some more than 100.000php) and i would like to know, if there is an alternative or some "do's" and "don't do's".
Do you mean making exam tests WITHOUT having teacher, just study yourself?

We have such in Sweden. Beside subjects I have studied without bothering to get grades, I have done such myself (Business Economy, Acounting, Society Sience.) I hope my future kids will do similar in Phils,

but it seem there aren't any such in Phils. I have asked some Phil teachers, students and one at a rather high TESDA position (but she is at Elementary school level) and no one of them know of any such direct tests.

Nurse, Electrical Engineer and Industrial Engineer.
I suppouse even less chance there are such direct tests in occupations which need licence.  Nurses even need 1 year (?) unpaid practise after school exam before they get licence.
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I think he means the test to be able to take the exam

• Like 1

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted (edited)
"review" for a board-exam?

Review as in preparing for licensure exam? if it is. as far as I know its optional. there are universities in Philippines that offers free reviews for fresh graduate students who are about to take the exam, but not all. they can study in their own if they prefer it. regarding the price, I'm not sure if it really cost that much. there are review centers that offers 12k- 17k in price for 3-4 months. but 100k seems too much.

Also if you're smart enough. I don't think you need a review center to help you pass the exam.

Edited by frozenmystic28
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Is there someone who could help me with this item : "review" for a board-exam?

Here in my place (Belgium/Germany) we are not familiar with it. Here to get pass the board-exam, you just study in your house or in a library just for free.

Seems that PH have a different system, one which includes a lot of fees/costs.

These reviews are very expensive (i heard some more than 100.000php) and i would like to know, if there is an alternative or some "do's" and "don't do's".

Especially for the reviews for following board-exams : Nurse, Electrical Engineer and Industrial Engineer.

If possible in Bohol.

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

Good morning Frank? (is this what we should call you?)

So Board Reviews and Board Exams. Like Prosecutors, taking a case to court, they will only do it if they are fairly sure of a Conviction.

The Board Exam is a National Exam and of course the Students may come from a big variety of Colleges and the Like so to ensure that time and Exam places are not wasted they have a Review to see if the candidate has a pretty good chance of Passing. No Good wasting a Place and stopping another Student getting a chance. they only allot the Exam to the Top 100 students. ( I guess you can see where I am Going on this?)

Costing on these things is very ambiguous, Most in this Area of the PI are done in Cebu at a central Place to have Control, Even the Uni Students in Dumaguete have to go to Cebu When our nephew did his Nursing Board review and Exam I think from memory they Told him 45.000 peso would be the cost But that was to include his accommodation Travel and Such. We have family there so this was a + the Actual Academic Part was 25.000 piso + Travel and a few piso to spend

So yes, if you have a way to Travel and the candidate likes to have an Extended stay away I can see 100.000 piso being the amount needed

Now this is only 2 years ago and is my own story, as all things your Mileage will vary. The Philippine Authorities have this way of Giving you a Top Figure and up to the family to reduce it any way they can but According to my Nephew, this years board Exam and they only sit once a year, is in the region of 30.000 piso then you would need to add the other things to get your total.

Hope this has helped you a little. :thumbsup:

Jack :)

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Seems that PH have a different system, one which includes a lot of fees/costs. These reviews are very expensive (i heard some more than 100.000php) and i would like to know, if there is an alternative or some "do's" and "don't do's". Especially for the reviews for following board-exams : Nurse, Electrical Engineer and Industrial Engineer. If possible in Bohol.

This is funny as I was just talking to my sister-in-law about this yesterday ..... she is a teacher and has one boy just graduated last year and one girl will graduate this year .... we also have a niece that graduated nursing school 2 years ago ..... her review was 3 months .... and this is what I understand about taking the boards exam .....

Depending on the ranking of the school best to worst ..... top schools may not have to take a 3 to 6 month refresher coarse to take board exam depending on the coarse ..... depending on the students ranking in the class they may not have to take the refresher coarse ..... the better school start preparing for the exam the last 2 months of their schooling ..... my niece (pharmacy student) is doing her prep and review now ..... she graduates in March .....

Yes it is very confusing and in my estimation just a way for the school system to make extra money and supply jobs to more teachers .... when we lived in Cebu the apartment building we lived in was next street over from a review center and we had students staying in some of the apartments .... they were there for 6 months as they were engineering students ..... as soon as one batch left the next group started ..... bad think is if you fail the exam you have to do the refresher all over again ..... as far as cost I really don't know ..... my guess is it would depend on the degree you are going for ..... JMHO ......  :tiphat: 

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I don't understand the why of it but the frustration is generic.

"Y"s college mate of many years has been studying criminology with hopes of becoming a PNP.  After completing college he takes the "board exam" which costs many thousands of pesos and he fails.  His family is not rich and his hopes are shattered.  It will be a long time, if ever, before he can afford to retake the exam.

Is this a way to keep the good jobs in the hands of the wealthy?

Is this a way to ensure that only the smartest students pass?

Is this a way to ensure that candidates from the province are equally as qualified as candidates from Manila?

Is it just a money grab?

I don't know the answer but I have pondered these questions in my sympathies for the failing students.  Well there is always basketball for the boys and foreign men for the girls (tongue in cheek)

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Our nephew did the 4 year criminology course at Bago City College, then the 1 year review at the same college for 9,000p. Then he wrote the board exam in Iloilo. 7,000+ wrote the exam in PI and 700+ passed it with many getting 75%. Then there was a few months of other exams, dental, medical, oath taking, and paper processing in Iloilo. He failed the IQ so he called his backer in Manila and got a pass. He failed the neurological so he called his backer in Manila and got a pass. His salary started at a reduced rate. He was sent to Bacolod, Iloilo, and Manila for crowd control during Apec. Now he is in Guimaras doing 3 months of scout training. Still no PO duty and no gun. His course was in English as was his books and the exams but he cannot speak English except for 1 word interspersed with 3 ums and every so often, he asks someone else how to say it in English. He is about as bright as a bag of hammers but soon he will be a PO1 with a 45.

• Like 3

Frankenstein
Posted
Posted

Frank, welcome to the forum. Lots of good guys and girls here ready to share what ever experiences they have.

To be honest though, I am unclear to what your referring to. Are you wanting to take an exam? A loved one? Can you be a bit more specific?

Don't worry about your English, heck some of us native English speakers cant understand each other :hystery:

..hehe, no i don't need to take any board-exam anymore...

This is for my ex-in-law-siblings. I promised them to support them till they finished their studies, but seems that graduation is not the end yet.

And now i am surprised how much it is for their (so needed) reviews.