Termites!

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Not sure how it happened or from where they came, but I've recently discovered that our entire attic is over run with termites.  They are obviously the dry wood variety as their mud trails lead down from the attic and it's all a concrete jungle around here anyway  It's just a rental house and the landlord has advised us to "buy some stuff at the store and get rid of them".  The cost will come out of the rent, but I have no idea how to treat this on the cheap.  

If it was my house, I would definitely be interested in a fumigation (either pro or DYI) to preserve my investment.  And, not unlike this country as a whole, I probably care more about this house than the owners do.  I'm curious to hear from anyone who has battled these pesky insects...win, lose, or draw.   :)

• Like 1

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted
I'm curious to hear from anyone who has battled these pesky insects...win, lose, or draw. :)

We hired pro's to do it. so far so good. it's been almost a year and still no sign of termites or any pest. so i think its ''win''. can't recommend the company since its local and the business is already close.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I offer sympathies but little knowledge.  A rental house I lived in for years had the critters in the door jamb but they hid so well that I had no idea until the door hinge detached from the rotten jamb. The only time I have won the battle against some kind of wood eating critter is when they attacked my bamboo bed and I sprayed the sh&t out of it with baygon once a week for a month and then once a month for 6 months.  Nothing scientific about it, I just got mad and sprayed.  But to spray and entire attic like that would be cost prohibitive.

I think thats why wood is such an unpopular building material here.  Those I know who build with any kind of wood suggest painting it with solignum.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We hired a pro also, they gave a warranty and quarterly re-inspection. Good thing too, little beggers keep coming over from the neighbors, they have been back twice since at no charge. So depends on how long you plan to live there on how much you want to invest IMO

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We hired a pro as well. Two, in fact. The 1st one over charged us compared to the 2nd one who did a better job as we have none at the moment but when neighbors on both sides do nothing yet have meter high mounds of termites, it will be futile. He dug a trench all around our property and poured in sacks of salt.

Don't do it yourself as the chemicals are hazardous without the proper mask. We get regular inspections. Any renovating that I do is without wood.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Unless he gets it done properly, there will be no attic  left, surely he understands that?  Let him know there is no 'cheap' way for these infestations.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Not sure how it happened or from where they came, but I've recently discovered that our entire attic is over run with termites.  They are obviously the dry wood variety as their mud trails lead down from the attic and it's all a concrete jungle around here anyway  It's just a rental house and the landlord has advised us to "buy some stuff at the store and get rid of them".  The cost will come out of the rent, but I have no idea how to treat this on the cheap.  

If it was my house, I would definitely be interested in a fumigation (either pro or DYI) to preserve my investment.  And, not unlike this country as a whole, I probably care more about this house than the owners do.  I'm curious to hear from anyone who has battled these pesky insects...win, lose, or draw.   :)

Not sure if termites already inside the wood.

We used Solignum on the main roof. And we got a tip to mix it with used motor oil and go heavy on the cut ends and joints. So much so that now, 2 years later we can see that the motor oil has soaked deeply into the wood, by the staining.

We did the same on the extension, but that's only recent.

No termites, but still early. A wooden frame roof with corrugated will not get you more than 20 years, so we consider that also.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have the same situation.  The landlord does not understand that the house will be eaten away if she does not do something.  I will be moving in a few months.

they hid so well that I had no idea until the door hinge detached from the rotten jamb.

We noted a similar problem when we moved in.  The landlord had her "carpenter" treat it, and he brought over some of that stuff they sell at ACE and poured it into the hollow trim boards.  Terrible smell even two years later.  I should have read the bottle before the idiot did this.  The product is for outdoor use only, to create a barrier.  I taped up the trim as best as I could to contain it.

The pros around here install small "pipes" in the ground to create a barrier, and replenish them every so often.  Seems to keep them away, after spot treating any problem areas.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The apartment I stayed in before I got married had termites. There was a tree that had limbs hanging over the roof. That is how I suspect they entered. I was on the 2nd floor. I told the owner and moved out but not before I had very bad experiences with them. They would come out at night and fly around the lights. Every room that I had a light on they would fly around it. The apartment was very nice and one would not suspect termites but termites have no respect.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Unless he gets it done properly, there will be no attic  left, surely he understands that?  Let him know there is no 'cheap' way for these infestations.

I agree, but like most issues with the locals, they really don't seem to care.  The landlord is cousin of my wife and we have a good relationship with them, but this is another one of those moments when you wonder what is going on in their heads. 

Thanks for the advice and sympathy (lol), everyone.  I'm going to invite the landlord over today to have a little chat and view the termites.  Hopefully i can convince her to exterminate these pests in the professional manner.  :)