Spmc Stabbing

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://mindanaodailymirror.com/spmc-stabbing-blamed-to-attitude-personnel-lack-10409/

Oh well... can't blame the father.

City Health Officer Josephine Villafuerte yesterday blamed attitude and lack of personnel to have triggered the stabbing of a doctor and nurse inside the emergency room of the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC), Tuesday afternoon.

“It could have been prevented if there were more personnel or if they showed a better attitude,” Villafuerte said at the i-Speak Forum at City Hall yesterday.

On Tuesday, Jesus Dayondon Manalo, laborer from Matina Gravahan stabbed Donna Jean Subaldo, a mecidal doctor of Emergency room Trauma Surgery Department and Lea Elica, auxiliary nurse of the ER, after he got frustrated with the alleged lack of concern for his son, who was suffering from an injury caused by a vehicle accident. He got angry after the medical personnel of SPMC failed to immediately attend to his son.

“Those in need are more sensitive so the attitude of the personnel matters,” Villafuerte said.

Villafuerte said SPMC is a good hospital and it has a very good program, complete facilities and capable doctors and nurses. However, she said, the lack of personnel resulted to many problems.

“Napakalaking halaga ang nilalagay natin sa (We have poured huge money in) SPMC every year,” she said. As an example, she said, the city pays for all Lingap patients at the SPMC and the coverage includes medicine, diagnostic, laboratory and in-patient services.

In 2014, SPMC was awarded by the TUV-SUD-PSB an internationally accredited certification body, with an ISO 9001:2008 certification which affirms the high quality health care services being provided by the hospital, at par with best hospitals in the world.

TUV-SUD-PSB is known for its expertise in auditing and certifying a wide range of internationally recognized management systems related to health, safety and environment among others.

“We are now given a status of an institution that provides standard of care that is at par with the best hospitals in the world,” Chief of Hospital Leopoldo Vega said when the certification was given two years ago. However, he admitted that the hospital is faced with the challenge of how to maintain its world class standard as a requirement.

The SPMC has undertaken an estimated P75 million modernization and expansion project during that time and now equipped with modern facilities.

Vega said they have slowly renovated the hospital for the past six years and has improved its operating rooms, diagnostic machines, and health services.

Originally named as Davao Public Hospital with 25 beds along San Pedro St., it has remarkably grown to 1,200 beds, transferred to J.P. Laurel and through Republic Act 1859 was renamed Davao Regional Medical and Training Center.

However, through Republic Act 09792, enacted in November 19, 2009, the hospital’s name was again changed to Southern Philippines Medical Center. Lovely A. Carillo
Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If they had a complaints procedure here which worked maybe we wouldn`t hear about so much violence here.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I hate to dissolution these folks but p75,000,000 is only  $1,630,644 and a drop in the bucket when it comes to healthcare purchases ..... but it sounds impressive ..... besides after seeing the episode on the news that ER is appalling .... beds strewn everywhere and family .... visitors and patients so intermingled it was hard to distinguish who from who ..... as far as being on the same page as the best hospitals in the world that is a bunch or horse sh*t ..... CDC and JCHO would have a field day with the ER alone ..... but it is nice to dream .....

As an after thought I have NEVER seen or heard of a parent or relative that didn't think their loved one was not being treated as promptly as they should in a hospital ER .... but I see prioritizing patients doesn't work here ..... just pick up a needle and stab someone ..... well he will have a long time in jail to think about what he did .... maybe .....  :mocking: 

:cheersty:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My wife is a retired RN and she told me about this today. The SPMC operates on a very small budget. Understaffed and over booked with patients who cannot afford a private hospital.

The hospital has a very high mortality rate. In other words, you get what you pay for. Still, no excuse to leave a syringe on a patient's bed by an attending nurse. Besides being short handed, most RNs at SPMC lack experience and probably work long hours with very little rest during their shift.

I requested my wife to retire and become a full time wife and a full time mother. My step son and I are happy for this.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Understaffed and over booked with patients who cannot afford a private hospital.

Just as a side note, even the private hospitals are overbooked.  I was visiting a friend in Silliman Medical Center yesterday and they had more beds in the hall than I had seen in a long time.  Some were surrounded by curtains as often seen in the ER which leads me to believe this is a semi permanent situation.

It boggles the mid because they can pretty much charge what they want for private rooms and the demand exceeds the supply so why not build more rooms and make some money and alleviate the overbooking?  (Almost every time someone asks for a private room in SMC they have to spend a night or three in the ward while waiting for a room to come available.)

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

They are all underpaid also, as they say 'pay peanuts, get monkeys' but they are not even getting the peanuts.  Same applies over most of the world.