Filipinos Abroad. Coming On Holiday Or Returning Home! ( Finding It Hard To Adapt)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So I would say adaptation over time, with a certain percent that have it in their mind not to adapt and would prefer to live in a western country.

These are in the main the people I am coming across, as Mike said in his post, like some Foreigners coming here and wanting/Expecting it to be just so.( Like at Home)

Many are coming home and it is just not going to suit them but and I love the But's the types I am talking about are shouting and moaning Far more than any of us Foreigners do as we have had to Adapt.So must they if they are to continue a life of Peace.

As Dave said we have a new Breed of OFW's now and they ain't too pretty from what I am seeing. Actually, they are now experiencing some of the Things we endure while we live here, The outcome of that could be they may Understand us a little better which could be a good thing if they could just knock the chip off their Shoulder.

One instance here if I may, A returning OFW was turned down for Credit for a car ( No credit rating as he had been gone 8 years and No Tax paid in the PI nor SSS) Shouting at the Credit company but I am a Filipino! Fine said the manager, Act like one, The next guy in line that heard all this was amazed by this (He got his finance) {A Foreigner} So the moral here is : Every now and Then, where I sometimes say, We (The Foreigner) can be our own, Worst Enemy, it would appear that some of these look down their noses Returning Locals can be their own.[Worst Enemy]

I have the greatest respect for those that want to succeed and do but all should come back to earth and remember where they are coming back to. Family and Friends that maybe were not so lucky.

Jack :unsure:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Family and Friends that maybe were not so lucky.

Some have been given the luck ( to go to college and to work in USA or Canada as RN) but they don't want to adapt to the western living, the opposite of your title.

They don't want to work 9 to 5. They both quit college after 2 years, she because she doesn't like phlegm and he because he likes to drink and drive every day. They get money from her sister and from his aunt. They have sponged off of me and 2 other foreigners until their welcome no longer existed. She had a job offer from a call center but didn't like the hours. She would get tired. "They got all they need. They are in heaven."

the other jp

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Why, it is bad enough with phones and internet with people always asking for money."

So many good points here, just to many to copy/paste to give credit to. I have a few thoughts also

About the above. I also have known many Fil/Ams in the states and when I ask and they refer to what JP references I ask, "when was the last time you were there?" "Oh 15 years ago". I try to tell them that things have changed so much for the better, internet, less frequent brown outs etc, they just don't believe me.

I also thing there is a real "cultural" reason that is not really open to us. What I mean is this: Most of us move here either for budgetary reasons in retirement (we cannot afford to maintain our home country life style on our pensions) or to start over with a lady. Or a combination of both. I know several retired Filipino couples (relatives naturally) who retired in the states, and basically move from child's house to child's house on a rotation basis. 3 months at the son's house 6 at a daughters, 3 at a nephews etc. etc. etc. That is just not in the modern western culture. We have no grown children but I ask those of our members that do. Would your adult children with families of their own really "welcome" you to move in? Would you really be happy being a permanent "guest"? We are just so ingrain with the culture of "MY PLACE".

Just another angle to the discussion.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Not sure how relevant this post is to the OPs intention for this thread, but it is my experience allowing me to see through the eyes of somebody that perhaps this thread was written about.

I Admire the post but as you may suspect, it was not what is seen or felt as a foreigner that was Mooted but the Thoughts, Actions and Reconciliation of a Filipino Coming home that I was alluring to.

However your points are good and I think we can all see how our own thoughts can become the Thoughts of the people of the Philippines that have had Western Experience :thumbsup:

Jack  :)

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
I will always, forever, be considered an outsider in Asia but I feel much more at home here than I will ever in my country of birth.  

I had an American accent or so I was told, from my high school (one year), then my college and working life in the USA. Then as a pure Aussie, when I eventually went home, I was treated as an American tourist. So yes, moving countries can present some unique difficulties.

By the direction of this topic, it seems those who come back after a whole working life away, have the most difficulty.

And as correctly pointed out by Pangit above, we might have difficulty going back home also. In my case I would, after so many years away.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted
Understood Jack. As I am not writer, I guess I was trying to point out that I can certainly empathize with those that have trouble adapting when coming home. Race or Country of origin doesn't matter.

Yes an excellent perspective on the topic. Although as Jack says "off topic", I think it's valid. It throws new light on the difficulty adapting, which is not unique to Filipino's.

• Like 5