Please Don't Scrub My Clothes To An Early Death.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
But according to my dearly beloved, it doesn't get the whites clean enough. Ergo..... they get put on the board (medieval rack) and tortured until they give up the last hints of soil and stain. (mostly imaginary I think).

Ditto here for the underwear.  She scrubs them so hard that I really don't need to pull them down anymore;  they have holes in all the right places.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have a non-standard model - K  understands and appreciates my very expensive and effectively Filipina-proof Miele washing machine.  But old habits die hard, so her pyjamas and those of small k get washed after a single wearing - the effect is the same in the end...  

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

when we arrived here in 2011 first thing I insisted we buy was a washing Machine ! " dont need a washing Machine " came the reply !

But I insisted and we bought a new LG washing Machine from Bensons ! 

But silly me  ! " We may have brought a new washing machine, but I do not have to use it " she says !! :1 (103):

And yes she sat in the laundry room for 2-3 hours every morning happily scrubbing away !

That is until her poor mother became ill and she finally gave into the washing Machine !

sadly the mother passed away ,and it was back to the scrubbing board and yes my underpants falling down vests becoming like things

the dog found in the road ! I decided to take drastic action ! so me and the brother in law go to the nearest SM

and I buy 10 pairs of underpants and 10 vests and I told the little woman " I will wear i pair a day then burn them same with the vests !

When I explained it would work out cheaper compared to the soap powder she used to wash them etc

Guess what it worked ! all my underwear and vests are washed in the washing machine now !

and they no longer keep falling down and the vests stay in shape. but as we all know sooner or later it will be back to scrubbing them again, so it will be another trip to SM :bash:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I bought a nice washing machine and dryer because I did not like the way my wife washed the clothes. I used to send my clothes out to have them laundered but that was too much trouble. Yes, I agree, she likes to wash by hand still and scrub and she still hangs them out to dry. I will not argue with her,  it would not do any good. I have 2 pair of Levi 501s and some walking shorts, some boxer shorts, 3 pair of socks, some t-shirts and some button shirts. I wash my own towels and the bed sheets from our bed. I wash a couple of times a week and some times 3 times. The dryer works good and I never have to iron any of my clothes. The investment for the washer and dryer pays off. The buzzer lets me know when they're done washing or drying. I'm free to watch tv or go visiting.

One thing I did do. I told her to teach her son to do his own laundry. He is 15 now but he started doing it a few years ago. I insist that he keep his room clean and he has other chores here. He can make his own food (when he has to) and wash his dishes. He keeps the outdoors clean around our house. This is what I did with my 3 sons and I think every child should have chores to do. My wife reluctantly agreed but admits it frees her from doing it herself.

I guess I'm old fashion in many ways but I know what works.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We bought one of those cheap washing machine jobbies a couple of years ago, just so we would have something to use when vacationing there.  It was money wasted as neither one of us wanted to us it again.  Replaced it with a brand spanking new washer-dryer combo, which is actually better than the one we have in Toronto.

No - we prefer to have our garters unstretched and our clothes without tears, so no scrubbers are on the horizon.

• Like 1

Pangit
Posted
Posted

I bought a nice washing machine and dryer because I did not like the way my wife washed the clothes. I used to send my clothes out to have them laundered but that was too much trouble. Yes, I agree, she likes to wash by hand still and scrub and she still hangs them out to dry. I will not argue with her,  it would not do any good. 

I wonder how much of this continued hand washing is due to pride in the "taking care of the house" duties?

I used to like washing the dishes, doing things around the house but was always bundled off to watch tv or told to sit down and relax. 

I eventually worked out that she felt offended if I tried to help out around the house, she took it as an insult, what she was doing was not good enough for me.

Replace me trying to help around the house with buying a washing machine and perhaps the sentiment is the same?

just throwing it out there.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have had this debate and in her defense... although all my underwear is in tatters... never have I worn any as long as I have here.  Since I cannot go out and replace all of my underwear and socks once a year (like I did in the US) I have underwear that I have been wearing for 3 years.  No wonder it is falling apart. 

One of these days I need to go up to a fat Filipino (my size) and politely ask them where they shop for clothes ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We have our SIL come twice a week to do our laundry and yes, she over scrubs, uses too much soap, and too much bleach. We have a new agitator type washing machine but she still does most by hand.

I wait until my 6 color cargo shorts change to 9 color shorts before I put them in the laundry.

Dishes are also washed with too much soap. Instead of using dish soap water in 1/2 of the sink and rinse water in the other, they put soap on a sponge each time they wash each plate or glass and have water running in the other side for rinsing.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I bought a nice washing machine and dryer because I did not like the way my wife washed the clothes. I used to send my clothes out to have them laundered but that was too much trouble. Yes, I agree, she likes to wash by hand still and scrub and she still hangs them out to dry. I will not argue with her,  it would not do any good. 

I wonder how much of this continued hand washing is due to pride in the "taking care of the house" duties?

I used to like washing the dishes, doing things around the house but was always bundled off to watch tv or told to sit down and relax. 

I eventually worked out that she felt offended if I tried to help out around the house, she took it as an insult, what she was doing was not good enough for me.

Replace me trying to help around the house with buying a washing machine and perhaps the sentiment is the same?

just throwing it out there.

You are right. The wife does feel it is her job to do the chores around the house. I let her but I still cook my own food, she washes dishes, I let her. I do my own laundry and she does hers and our 15 year old boy does his.

She somehow feels a need to stay busy.  Always finds something to do, something to clean, something to rearrange. I let her.

Oh, and  a reason she gives for washing her clothes by hand and hanging them to dry is to save water and electricity.  To me, it is time consuming and I would rather be watching tv or listening to music. Oh well. I don't argue with her over it.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Well, I'm down 2 girlfriends now... So I have a temporary live-in yaya... Hehe! She uses as much detergent in 1 wash as I used in a week... And my bar of laundry soap was gone before the first load was even fully wet... But that's ok because all my clothes are like brand new - because they're stiff as can be from all the soap that can't be washed out!

:)

• Like 3