Packing For The Move.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing keep us posted on your move. I know you guys must be excited! :dance:

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted

The move is coming soon.  As I have said in the past this has been planed for years.  Although I’m not selling my house because my son and his family will be living in it for at least five years before deciding to sell, I did decide to get rid of a lot of items.  But he will get the furinture and whatever else I decide to leave and he can decide to keep, sell, or dispose of.  I sold most all my woodworking machines and also a milling and lathe.  Keeping much of the tooling and hand tools I want.  This started January 2015.  Sure glad I started when we did.  My wife and I have been sorting, selling, and giving so many things.  At this point I believe we have just over half the stuff packed.  Although I have decided to go with an international mover, most everything has been packed in balikbayan boxes.  I had checked prices several different ways and may have saved a little shipping a different way but feel less stress and maybe a little safer with the international mover.  To give you a little comparison, we will be shipping about 200 cu ft of items.  No weight limit.  That’s equal to about 33 large BB boxes.  The cost is $2200 to our door in Sta Rosa, Laguna.  The shipper will place all the boxes in a build crate and be kept together for the entire trip.  Well, back to packing boxes.

attachicon.gifIMG_2406.JPG

Would you mind sharing the name/contact info for your international shipper. I assumed I would just ship a bunch of BB boxes but this option sounds good. I had previously investigated the notion of a 1/2 shipping container but the cost was too high.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Would you mind sharing the name/contact info for your international shipper. I assumed I would just ship a bunch of BB boxes but this option sounds good. I had previously investigated the notion of a 1/2 shipping container but the cost was too high.

Sure Dave,

The company I'm using is Certified International Movers,  http://cimovers.com/index.html.  I don't know where you are located but this company specializes in moves originating in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC.   I would think if they are out of your area they would be able to recommend someone for you.  I found them by doing a google search for "international moving shippers".  Filled out one of those forms to get quotes from several shippers.  Got some emails and a few calls.  But in the end it was worth it.  Any other questions ask away.  Of course I'll know more sometime in May.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Almost forgot, If you ship this way, meaning not shipping BB, it is best to have a visa.  This way you can apply at the Department of Finance, DOF, for duty/Tax free import of your personal and household goods.  Otherwise, if you can get everything in BB boxes it may be cheaper.

edit for spelling...again :bonk:

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Almost forgot, I you ship this way, meaning not shipping BB, it is best to have a visa.  This way you can apply at the Department of Finance, DOF, for duty/Tax free import of your personal and household goods.  Otherwise, if you can get everything in BB boxes it may be cheaper.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've already spoken to a couple companies. Seems like a viable option if we end up with enough to justify. If we only have 10 boxes worth, the BB option might still be the better way to go. But for 20+ this is sounding very attractive.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted
If we only have 10 boxes worth, the BB option might still be the better way to go. But for 20+ this is sounding very attractive.

For sure 20+ this is the way to go. 

As an update the the packing continues.  My original estimate was for 200 cu. ft. Most of the boxes we are using are BB size 6 cu ft each.  I've decided to send a few more tools than originally planned and my wife has packed more than planned also.  Wants to have plenty of items to give away.  So, now it looks like the shipment has grown to just under 300 cu ft.  It NEEDS to STOP.  Well, it's going to have to.  I don't have much left to box other than large items that we will NOT ship.  I'm now wondering how long will it be before all these boxes will be unpacked and items put into proper place.  I'm thinking  two plus years.  :1 (103):

• Like 2