Packing For The Move.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

When you say visa....Are you referring to the SRRV? Because I believe you will be paying tariff on any other visa.

Not including diplomatic visa, etc. But 9A or 13A.

Edited by robert k

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow, where did you read that?  From the below links I read different.  I am not shipping a car, just personal items and HHG.

http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs%20Docs/Philippines.pdf

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/uploads/pdfs/DutyFreeImportation.pdf

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
, just personal items and HHG.

I know quite a few guys who shipped personal belongings in BB boxes and none of them incurred any import taxes (BB boxes seem to slip through without question) but the 2 guys I know who each brought in a full shipping container got hit with some import duties.  The customs people seem to be the ones to decide the value and if you have a lot of stuff they seem to overvalue it based on the "you must be rich so you can afford to pay" principle.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Wow, where did you read that?  From the below links I read different.  I am not shipping a car, just personal items and HHG.

http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs%20Docs/Philippines.pdf

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/uploads/pdfs/DutyFreeImportation.pdf

Maybe you missed some things, like used household goods may be imported but the TAX and Duty exemption varies according to type of passport and visa.

You can get a full exemption if you Have 13g permanent resident, 9g work visa, investors visa, SRRV etc.

Otherwise you are subject to 30% duty and 12% tax on household goods.

The law does seem to contradict itself. Or maybe it was superceded. I hope you have the letter granting your request for exemption in your pocket. The one that says you pay duty and tax is dated 2012, the one that says you don't have to pay duty or tax doesn't have a date that I saw other than "no later than February 28, 1979". Almost 37 years ago.

I have heard of other people having to pay duty. I wasn't trying to raise your blood pressure, I was expecting you to say SRRV.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

, just personal items and HHG.

I know quite a few guys who shipped personal belongings in BB boxes and none of them incurred any import taxes (BB boxes seem to slip through without question) but the 2 guys I know who each brought in a full shipping container got hit with some import duties.  The customs people seem to be the ones to decide the value and if you have a lot of stuff they seem to overvalue it based on the "you must be rich so you can afford to pay" principle.

I have known people with the same type of experiences .  The only difference were the ones with the shipments who followed the rules

with their visa which states they must apply with the DOF three days before their shipment arrives for the tax/duty free certificate which then must be presented to customs upon claiming their shipment.  Otherwise without the certificate, you will be subject to tax and duty.  Don't misunderstand me, I still am shaking on the inside and concerned I'll get hit with the dutys and tax.  I'll just do what I need and hope and pray for the best.  After it's all done sometime in mid to late May, I'll report back with my experience.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Maybe you missed some things, like used household goods may be imported but the TAX and Duty exemption varies according to type of passport and visa.

I don't think so.  Did you read the last line of the second section- Returning Filipino nationals.   

Spouses of returning nationals with a 13-a visa are entitled to full exemption status.
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Maybe you missed some things, like used household goods may be imported but the TAX and Duty exemption varies according to type of passport and visa.

I don't think so.  Did you read the last line of the second section- Returning Filipino nationals.   

Spouses of returning nationals with a 13-a visa are entitled to full exemption status.

Did you also see where returning Nationals only have a $200 exemption per passport holder? Is $200 a full exemption? My expertise in law is reading oil and gas law. There is language that we call language of art. I would get another opinion. A returning national gets $200 exemption. Is your full exemption going to be more than a returning national's?

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Did you also see where returning Nationals only have a $200 exemption per passport holder? Is $200 a full exemption? My expertise in law is reading oil and gas law. There is language that we call language of art. I would get another opinion. A returning national gets $200 exemption. Is your full exemption going to be more than a returning national's?

Yes Robert I did see that returning Nationals are eligible for tax and duty exemption of 200.00 USD per passport holder.  That sure is nothing!  I'm just hoping everything works out as stated for "spouses with the 13A visa. Also, the way I understand this law/rule, a person only has one chance for this exemption on their visa.  That is one of the reasons I have decided to ship all that I feel necessary.  Any later shipments will be sent BB.   No matter what happens this shipment, whatever they say I will have to comply and fork over the $$$$$.  As I said before,"We shall see!"  Again, whatever happens I will post the results and comments here with the hope it will help others who may consider shipping like this.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I will post the results and comments here with the hope it will help others who may consider shipping like this.

And that is fantastic.  Its how this forum helps other people.

I cannot say how the two other people I know got hit with import duties but I know that neither are stupid men, (well I take that back as one married a women he met on the Internet and she took him for a lot of money :1 (103): )  Bottom line, its great to discuss the anecdotes but none of the members are absolutely sure so lets wait and see.

Good luck with it, Intrepid.   :cheersty:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted

Almost forgot, If you ship this way, meaning not shipping BB, it is best to have a visa.  This way you can apply at the Department of Finance, DOF, for duty/Tax free import of your personal and household goods.  Otherwise, if you can get everything in BB boxes it may be cheaper.

edit for spelling...again :bonk:

Okay, just a short update.  About a week ago after reading several more times the rules/requirements for the duty/tax exemption and talking with my shipper, I decided to make a call to the DOF myself and get it straight from the horses mouth.  As it turns out there is one lady who pretty much is in charge of these applications, Cynthia Delantar, along with assistants.  (phone # 632-526-8458) She is very knowledgeable and helpful in this process and can most likely answer any other questions you may have.  My wife and I talked to her and she made it clear you must have the 13A visa before arriving in the Philippines.  Also, this process is a one in a lifetime exemption.  So she said to make sure to pack and bring whatever you have and want to ship.  I'm glad she also added to make sure not to put the shipment in my wife's name, it must be in my name because I am the one with the visa.  The shipper thought it should be in the wife's name.  Sure glad I got that confirmed!  Needed for the exemption are;The packing list, The bill of lading (provided by the shipper), Copy of marriage contract,

ACR card, or copy of application for ACR card, Passport and 13A visa, Notarized affidavit, Letter to Dept. of Finance requesting the exemption. 

So feeling more confident now we seemed to get carried away with our packing.  It appears our estimate of 200 cu feet has now grown to just under 300 cu ft. weighing in at about 4500 pounds!  Most all in boxes except my tool boxes.  No furniture of appliances.  Other than a 58" flat screen.  Still a little concerned but not near as much after talking to DOF.  I expect to send the shipment in five to six weeks.(mid April)

• Like 2