Packing For The Move.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I don't remember exactly. But we came on BB Visas and shipped a container. I know it was customs inspected in the states (which we paid an inspection fee for) and there was a customs inspection here in the Philippines (which we paid for). We were tax exempt because as was mentioned before we put all the stuff in my wife's name. So we did not pay "taxes" per say, but we did pay for portage and fuel and all that junk. Silly I know, you pay taxes for government services then have to pay for those services.

Here is the 500 pound gorilla in the room though. If for some reason a person is charged a fee and they contest it (Hey! I am on a BB or 13A visa, I am exempt!! I am not going to pay!!). You can bet your bottom peso that a person is going to be charged dock storage fee while the dispute is figured out. Sometimes, just sometimes its better to go with the flow and not fight the system.

Just food for thought :cheersty:

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted

UPDATE.

We arrived in the Philippines 30th April this 2016.  Following the procedures of our shipper and receiver here in the Philippines, we got the required documents together for applying to the DOF for the tax/duty exemption.  Documents included, my passport with the 13A visa, TIN(tax id number) issued here in the Philippines, marriage contract, ACR-I card, and letter requesting the tax/duty exemption.  After getting it all together and waiting I finally got the news today.  For those not following, I had paid the shipper in the US almost $4000.00 and ended up being a 20' container

Dear Mr. Intrepid,

Here are the charges that you will pay as per agent excluded from the door to door quote.

Shipping line charges                      - PhP11,337.70
Storage charges from June
19-23                                                     -           2,695.00
Demurrage charges from
June 18-23                                          -          4,300.00
                                                                ------------------
                                                                 PhP18,332.70
                                                                vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

We will clear shipment tomorrow night and should be there
in Laguna on morning of June 24.
 Thanks,
 Helen R. Pangilinan

I did also get an email yesterday from them saying the customs examiner was asking "why I have so many tools?"  I didn't think it was so many:89: Although about half of the 70 boxes were tools, there are still more I wish I would have shipped.  The problem was I wasn't sure I would have the storage space until we get our home built.  From what I can tell so far, no boxes were opened including the container itself! I'll follow-up sometime after Friday with a final statement after seeing the condition of the boxes.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 2/29/2016 at 10:32 AM, scott h said:

I don't remember exactly. But we came on BB Visas and shipped a container. I know it was customs inspected in the states (which we paid an inspection fee for) and there was a customs inspection here in the Philippines (which we paid for). We were tax exempt because as was mentioned before we put all the stuff in my wife's name. So we did not pay "taxes" per say, but we did pay for portage and fuel and all that junk. Silly I know, you pay taxes for government services then have to pay for those services.

Here is the 500 pound gorilla in the room though. If for some reason a person is charged a fee and they contest it (Hey! I am on a BB or 13A visa, I am exempt!! I am not going to pay!!). You can bet your bottom peso that a person is going to be charged dock storage fee while the dispute is figured out. Sometimes, just sometimes its better to go with the flow and not fight the system.

Just food for thought :cheersty:

I know a Dutch Australian who contested the import fees for his MCs so the customs looked deeper into the container and found a boat engine and other things so instead of paying 50,000 he had to pay 100,000. Sometimes it is best just to go with the flow they will charge you a fee one way or another.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, intrepid said:

Here are the charges that you will pay as per agent excluded from the door to door quote.

I thought the idea of getting a quote is to be given the exact price and sticking to it.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I'm not always that good of a writer. . . .  They could not include them in the shipping quote because every port and shipping line has fees that are fluid

Au contraire.  I love the colorful way you describe how the 'fees' are different for each individual.

If you went to their office wearing a Rolex and gold jewelry do you think the fees would more?  or less? 'fluid' :popcorn:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, intrepid said:

.......That's why I shared all this.  But I'm not always that good of a writer.  In this case I neglected to share that when getting my quote from the shipper in the US, he did advise me there would be additional charges I would incur once my shipment would arrive in Manila. Such as port fees, unloading fees, storage fees, and maybe even customs fees.  They could not include them in the shipping quote because every port and shipping line has fees that are fluid and can also depend on the length of time waiting to unload and customs.  

I felt he was being fair and now I feel sure the receiver here in Manila is being fair.  We are excited to see the container and boxes in the morning.  Got the rooms emptied out and ready.

On the contrary Officer Danny, we really appreciate your field report as you finally head for home plate.  If I remember correctly, Judy and I paid several hundred pesos, plus my watch as we waited patiently for the release of our household effects at Manila (1992).  

Good luck finding storage for your tools and keeping them under lock and key.  Perhaps taking photos of your personal property in case they grow some legs?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I found it informative, as I will be going up that road next year myself.  We will not have as many boxes, plus coming from Thailand, should be far less I would expect.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good information, I'm curious to know details once done. Good luck!