Delhi To Manila With A Day Stop In Hong Kong Possible?

Bringer
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am from Europe and would like to fly from Delhi to Manila at the end of February.

I was thinking of stopping in Hong Konk for a few hours (arriving early morning, leaving in afternoon) to do some electronic shopping and have lunch with a schoolmate.

My questions:

What is the best and easiest site to book this ticket (I usually use cleartrip)?

Can I leave the airport to go into HK while my luggage stays checked in for the next flight - the itinerary would probably on one ticket though different airlines?

What's the best way to go into Hong Kong and back quickly (probable destination: Golden Computer Centre in Sham Shui Po)?

Thanks for your help.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the first thing to do is type in google,  Delhi to Manila. You then get a list of airlines that fly this route. Then see what flight times are available. Usually cheaper to book direct.

You can leave the airport if you go though customs but you will need to check visa regulations first as you might be required to have a visa. 

Electronic shopping might mean you pay customs duties in the Philippines.

Check with airlines if your luggage will be checked in all the way. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome bringer, never flown that route, but here are some useful hints usually at the top of the page, click the airline banner :thumbsup:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum also, can't help with flight information

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes, you may enter Hong Kong to shop during a layover or a planned stop if you allow enough time. As a Swiss citizen you should have no problem getting a visa stamp at immigration as you exit the international area of the airport. I would plan no less than six hours to do this eight or more hours would be much better.

If the airline will not hold your luggage there is a service inside the airport that securely stores luggage. It is safe and we have used them several times. 

It's not my business what your shopping plans are but you may be better off just making electronic purchases at duty free inside the Hong Kong airport no need for all the running around. The airport is huge and a large area is like a mall with nearly anything you could think of for sale duty free.

If you must go into Hong Kong to buy. There are two choices.

1)Take the airport express light rail from the airport directly to Central and shop in Central. High end everything you want at pacific place mall. 

2)Take MTR, its the regular light rail from the airport to the first stop ( I think?) Lantau Island. There is a huge mall a short walk from the station. In the mall is anything you would need also a great food court with authentic Chinese food or McDonalds if that's what you want. I think this would be your best bet.

I know you are not from US. Having said that prices in Hong Kong are not all that great. Most everything we found in Hong Kong was cheaper at Costco or other discount stores in the States. Again don't know what you are shopping for or what costs are in your home land.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome bringer, never flown that route, but here are some useful hints usually at the top of the page, click the airline banner :thumbsup:

The OP might be seeing different google ads than what you or the next person is seeing. No airline ad showing to me at this point.  :tiphat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What is the best and easiest site to book this ticket

I am not sure exactly what you want, but it seems you are asking about flights from Hong Kong to Manila and return.  You can buy them online at cebupacificair.com at a very fair price and other travel sites will not sell their tickets so you must buy direct to get the cheap prices.  There are other airlines but they are seldom cheaper than Cebu Pacific on flights from Hong Kong, especially is you sign up for their email notifications and buy when on sale.

• Like 2

Bringer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you very much for your replies (for some reasons, I cannot press "Like This").

I really appreciate your tips.

My shopping needs are quite specific: namely a china tablet and or phone (Teclast / Elephone / Umi).

Though I have just seen that Air Asia is much more competitive than any other airline on that route, so instead of saving money on electronics, I may go via Air Asia through KL and save money that way.

On my last trip to HK I also found HK to be more expensive than Europe. When I told them the price in Europe, they said: "Oh we can sell you for that also." - but when I said I am looking to buy at least 20% below that, because I have a long warranty in Europe (and none here) they wouldn't go for that.

However there is the Golden Computer Centre in Sham Shui Po where prices are almost like in China mainland for Chinese electronics.

And thank you very much for your warm welcomes. :)

Edited by scott h
  • Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

However there is the Golden Computer Centre in Sham Shui Po where prices are almost like in China mainland for Chinese electronics.

Take the Airport Express Line (green) towards Central to Tsing Yi Station, transfer to Tung Chung Line (Yellow) towards Central to Lai King Station, transfer (walk straight across the platform) to Tsuen Wan Line (Red) towards Central to Sham Shui Po Station.

Exit D2 puts you at Golden Computer.

You may want to check out the street vendors and shops between exits A2 and C2 to compare prices also.

Bringer
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much - I noted this in my travel file for my next visit to HK.

How long do you think it will take from Airport to to Golden Computer?