Adoption Scenario - What Are The Benefits To The Child?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think some of you have been through the process or are going through the process, with this same adoption scenario.

Scenario:

Me, expat in PH, American citizen

Wife:  Filipino citizen

Wife's 11 year old daughter from annulled marriage:  Potential adoptee by me (and my wife of course)

Will not be living in the USA

We had casually talked about me adopting her over the years.  Recently, her uncle, half jokingly, said he would adopt her and bring her to New Zealand so that she could enjoy and better life and education there.

So it got me thinking.  What are the benefit's to the child in my scenario?  I don't see any near term advantages for her.   She does not get any U.S. benefits, I think.  Could she get my SS benefit? Thoughts?

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Well, there is the psychological benefit of being wanted. Especially if there is no contact with the birth father. Everybody wants to be wanted and adoption would be a strong "I love you. ❤" statement.

We just saw the lawyer about adoption. A major consideration is the birth father giving up all parental rights. Would he agree?

I'm not a lawyer, and the annulled marriage makes your case different. The lawyer I consulted with in Cebu only charged 200 as a fee. I understand it is normally 500, but we are "special"!

SS benefits? I have no clue.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted
So it got me thinking.  What are the benefit's to the child in my scenario?  I don't see any near term advantages for her.   She does not get any U.S. benefits, I think.  Could she get my SS benefit? Thoughts?

Don. As we had been discussing earlier any such benefits are split between the number of kids.  Your new child will get US SS Child Allowance and in theory Survivor's Benefit's, running 18 years, from birth to age 18.  The 11 yp could split of half of that until age 18, but no point in that really.

However, good family man and good provider that you are, without even weighing up the benefits, I would go the adoption route and US Passport. US Passport clearly has long term benefits. And on that offer for the 11 yo to go to NZ.....maybe not now, but how about at college level, if they like to sponsor her. US Passport holder applying for Student Visa to NZ, maybe easier than a Filipino who applies.

I vote yes on the adoption, and  weigh the benefits later.

One scenario in my case with 2 natural kids, US Citizens, eligible for Australian, but we did not apply. A child born outside the USA cannot bestow the citizenship to a partner/spouse unless the child fulfills 4 years of US Residency That goes long term rather than near term, but it's still worth considering.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I was adopted by my 'father' at 14 years of age, he raised me from 6 mths, he is the only 'father' I recognised, that included my 

paternal father who died in his 40's and I never saw him, but did not want to.  

I agree, it is not a mathematical thing, it is about what you and the child want and is in your heart.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the inputs!

I agree, it is not a mathematical thing, it is about what you and the child want and is in your heart.

Yes, I agree, and I should have put it differently.  That emotional part is a given and I am trying to find out what the financial and social benefits are for her.

A major consideration is the birth father giving up all parental rights. Would he agree?

That could be an issue.  By coincidence, she will be seeing her birth father this weekend for the first time in 3 years.  He is an OFW for the past 5 years but has never contributed a dime to her upbringing, except for gifts the few times he has seen her.  Now that you mention it, that is one of the reasons we were discussing the "benefit" to the child.  We would have to convince him that the adoption will benefit her and thus he should agree to it.

I would go the adoption route and US Passport. US Passport clearly has long term benefits. And on that offer for the 11 yo to go to NZ.....maybe not now, but how about at college level, if they like to sponsor her. US Passport holder applying for Student Visa to NZ, maybe easier than a Filipino who applies.

Chris, this part I am not following.  Assuming the adoption goes through, I don't think I can get the adopted 11 year old citizenship and a passport as long as we are living in the Philippines.  Am I wrong?  Same for SS.  Can she be on my SS after the adoption?

NZ for college is definitely a possibility.  Her cousin just moved over on a student visa however that is a a slightly different scenario in that she already graduated university in PH.  I think she is working on an advanced degree until she lands a good job.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
Chris, this part I am not following. Assuming the adoption goes through, I don't think I can get the adopted 11 year old citizenship and a passport as long as we are living in the Philippines. Am I wrong? Same for SS. Can she be on my SS after the adoption?

I had read that she could.  I will take another look or you look at the US Embassy Manila Web Site.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Chris, this part I am not following. Assuming the adoption goes through, I don't think I can get the adopted 11 year old citizenship and a passport as long as we are living in the Philippines. Am I wrong? Same for SS. Can she be on my SS after the adoption?

I had read that she could.  I will take another look or you look at the US Embassy Manila Web Site.

Read the whole thing.  http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwhadop.html

I don't know what provision they would have for a child who is not going to use the Immigrant Visa immediately.

The process is too demanding, having read the requirements, I don't know. The signature of the birth father could be a major problem before you even get started.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I believe it's the same for US as Canada... You can get it for her while in the Philippines...

One thing to be aware of... Adopt her through the US rather than the Philippines court system... If, for any reason you have to go back to the US, the adoption may not hold up if done under Philippines... Or, if it does get recognized, you will still have a headache getting her into the US with you...

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe it's the same for US as Canada... You can get it for her while in the Philippines...

One thing to be aware of... Adopt her through the US rather than the Philippines court system... If, for any reason you have to go back to the US, the adoption may not hold up if done under Philippines... Or, if it does get recognized, you will still have a headache getting her into the US with you...

Actually, it is Philippines adoption we are considering.  U.S. adoption, I have not even thought of.  I would suspect that anything done in the U.S. would be hugely expensive.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Actually, it is Philippines adoption we are considering.  U.S. adoption, I have not even thought of.  I would suspect that anything done in the U.S. would be hugely expensive.

Well here I can add, Expensive is a world wide issue, I am in my 5th year of Adoption application here for our monster. 6 Court Hearings and to date 187.000 peso and nothing in Sight. Where it comes to a "Foreigner" there are so many hurdles, believe me it is not an easy Road. Will it be good for our Daughter? Not as far as the UK is concerned it gives her Nothing of any benefit until I die.( then it is questionable) Other than this she just gets a name. Which will give her some Legality. It is sensitive but i can Expand  (although the real truth of Foreigner adoption can hurt ones Ego)

Sad days but the facts are the facts.

Jack :rolleyes:

• Like 5