Adoption Scenario - What Are The Benefits To The Child?

chris49
Posted
Posted

I wonder if they have a provision for a child adopted outside the USA, to have a passport issued through the US Embassy. Per the previous post, it says the child gets an immigrant visa to the USA, which equates to citizenship.

They must have other cases of adoption where the US Citizen is living in the Philippines?

Also Don, I have heard there is an age limit on the party who files the adoption (heard that, but not verified).

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted (edited)

Guys, Guys, Guys what a lot of misinformation. The same kind of stuff I went through before I started my journey. Oy, if I only knew then what I know now. First, you should adopt her and the sooner the better. Second, she can absolutely get SS benefits. Thirdly, adopt her, the sooner the better. We just went through this. We started 9/13/2011 and finally her SS application has been sent for payment. There are lots of things to know and do. Yes, she must have a US adoption. Our RP adoption cost P40K, our US adoption cost $1450. We did this by mail, did not have to go to the US. That also included a name change that our RP attorney was too stupid to get. That got her a US birth certificate.The thing is, if you are drawing SS before you adopt, she has to be adopted in the US before she can draw SS. But if you adopt her in the RP before you start drawing, then she can draw benefits. I would be happy to talk to anyone that wants my input on the quickest cheapest way to do this, just email me at talisay1945@gmail.com.

Edited by Lordblacknail
  • Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
First, you should adopt her and the sooner the better. Second, she can absolutely get SS benefits. Thirdly, adopt her, the sooner the better

I am sure you are correct.

But Don the OP will have 2 kids drawing SS Child Support. Keep in mind the Child Support splits between the no. of children, Don's adopted child is around 12-13. But his newest addition would continue drawing benefits until 18. His adopted child would just draw her 33% of the benefit.

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

I agree Chis, it might not be worth it for the SS benefits alone, but there is the Love factor. Plus, he didn't mention if a wife is drawing child care benefits from SS or not. Not sure if that would be the same or not, or if they are already getting the maximum. But the US passport is beyond any price. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I agree Chis, it might not be worth it for the SS benefits alone, but there is the Love factor. Plus, he didn't mention if a wife is drawing child care benefits from SS or not. Not sure if that would be the same or not, or if they are already getting the maximum. But the US passport is beyond any price. 

A Filipina wife as in my case, must fill that 5 year residency requirement alluded to earlier (I said 4, but it's 5)

A case here locally. A wife of a Phil/AM had 4 kids getting child benefits all along. When her husband died she could not get Survivor's Benefits even though she was over 60, now in her 70's. She had never been to the USA and did not fulfill her residency requirement.

And for interest. Our kids, if marrying a  local Filipino spouse, can't sponsor or petition their immigration to the USA unless they also fulfill the residency requirements.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information!

As mentioned, she spent last weekend with her birth dad and his family. When we picked her up, my wife brought up adoption and they were dead set against it. That would be a big hurdle. Even if we build a strong case of the long term benefits to her (like u.s. citizenship), it does not appear that he would sign.

Regarding. Ss for multiple kids, i think the math works for up to 3 kids before it would be split into smaller chunks per kid. E.g., if the kids can get 150% of your benefit and your benefit is $1000, each kid can get 50%, $500, X 3 = 150%, $1500.

• Like 1