Teaching English To Koreans In Manila?

Soupdragon1973
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Just wanting to get a little info please. I understand from my girlfriend that many Koreans live in Manila so as to learn English. Therefore is it possible to get a TEFL certificate and teach English to Koreans in the Philippines? I heard I would probably only earn around 10,000 php a month doing that.

Thanks

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Anything is possible. I know there are a small number of Foreigners working as English teachers under the radar. The Philippines government is highly restrictive to do with Foreigners living in Philippines working in a job that a Filipino citizen could do. 

There are large numbers of Korean and a few Chinese that attend English language schools in Manila and Cebu City.

• Like 2

Soupdragon1973
Posted
Posted

Would restrictions still apply after I marry my Filipina gf?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

The fact remains even married to a Filipina you would remain an evil job stealing rich Kano taking food from the mouths of downtrodden proud Filipinos. OK, remove all the drama but the answer is you are a Foreigner and it would be difficult to get a work permit for any job a Filipino could do.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 5

Soupdragon1973
Posted
Posted

Ah I see, "hey Joe"

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The Filipina step daughter of an English friend works teaching English to Koreans in Manila. She has the advantages of an English accent and a good knowledge of literature, courtesy of her stepfather, but her stepfather has never attempted to teach, himself.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Soup. With out knowing a lot of your basic detail anything we as a group can tell you will be very basic.

Yes, your GF is correct. There are hordes of Koreans living here in Manila, basically most come here to learn English (there are some here to provide services to their countrymen, and a bunch of criminals also). We have a large Korean community here in my area. A subdivision called BF Homes (I bet your GF has heard of it). There are almost as many signs in Korean as English there. There are a couple of "schools" in the subdivision to teach English to the Koreans. One of them is run by an Englishman, but "owned" by his wife. They employ nothing but Filipinos. He technically doesn't work but keeps a very low profile. So if you have the capital to invest, I suppose you and your GF could start a "school". 

Getting a job as a English teacher legally IS POSSIBLE and has been done by others before, but the process is long, tedious and most likely expensive.

As always, these are just opinions and observations from living here for awhile. :cheersty:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
She has the advantages of an English accent

Those from midland USA would tend to disagree that about the English accent.  :hystery:  :hystery:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

She has the advantages of an English accent

Those from midland USA would tend to disagree that about the English accent.  :hystery:  :hystery:

Well I'll  be blowed  :hystery:  And there was I thinking we English Didn't have an Accent but all the others Do! Has someone been lying to me all these years? :)

Jack :tiphat:

Morning All :morning1:  

• Like 4

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Just wanting to get a little info please. I understand from my girlfriend that many Koreans live in Manila so as to learn English. Therefore is it possible to get a TEFL certificate and teach English to Koreans in the Philippines? I heard I would probably only earn around 10,000 php a month doing that.

Thanks

Another way to do it, and probably legal is to teach English over the internet. My wife does that part time. She works as little or as often as she likes, and hours to suit. With bonus she gets about $6 US per hour. Actually it's per 45 minutes but she has to do a feedback on each student so each lesson takes an hour of her time. If you are a native English speaker (UK or US etc) they pay more, about $10 US. They are based in Taiwan and teach Chinese and Korean students.

As it is based offshore I don't know if you would need a work permit but I guess not. How would they know anyway?

Ken

• Like 3