Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you Papa Carl. I learned a great deal today. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

like ABC365, Talk51, etc etc etc who primarily hire Filipino teachers and pay less but will also hire Expats who have English as a first language and pay a little more. 

I started teaching online for the first time in July, when I was ranked 187th out of 191 English Teachers. Verbling has grown since then and has more teachers. It is competitive but quite easy to join. They also market my profile on pages like Facebook etc. so they find the students for me.

I am currently enjoying what I do and could easily earn between 2,000 and 2,500 usd per month. Although I admit I am not that devoted and am making less than that, but not much less.

How many hours are you averaging a week now? (if you don't mind saying)

What would you guess a Filipina with a TESOL certificate and good enough English I actually wondered if she was western back when we first started messaging. 

I am averaging between 36 and 40 hours per week. My low week was 24 hours and my peak week was 52 hours. I do believe I could teach 45 to 50 hours per week, if I wanted to, but I generally try to restrict my hours per day at 10. I also take Sunday and Monday off, so do not teach any classes other than specific requests sometimes from my regular students.

I know several Filipinos who speak English fluently, (with very few Filipino sounds), and they are working online teaching earning as much as I do. Others are earning less, simply because they are Filipino (and I think this is unfair), but the reason that the expats get as much money as they do is their Neutral Accent, or Accent Reduction, because they have no certificates.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

OK here we go, having lived in the Philippines for the last 9 years I can offer this.

Hope this helps, and hope I have not broken any rules by providing names of companies etc.

Papa Carl

Triple LIKE Papa Carl!  Glad to see on board again.  Stay for awhile, OK?  My oral skills needs drastic improvement.....he, he.

Hi Jake, glad you are back, and I will try to do better at checking in more regularly. I must admit as thing go bad, I tend to stay away, and the reverse appears to be true as well, when things are going well! Just need to find the balance and be more dedicated.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Soupdragon1973
Posted
Posted

PapaCarl, can I pass on my email address to you and could you email me this info please? Am I allowed to post my email address here or not?

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

PapaCarl, can I pass on my email address to you and could you email me this info please? Am I allowed to post my email address here or not?

Have done as requested, let me know if you need more specific information.

Papa Carl