Fuel Stabilizer

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Talking about power washers on another thread reminded me of this.

In the hot Florida climate, you need to add fuel stabilizer to gasoline if it is to be stored for any length of time.  I have never heard of it here.  Is it available?

This is especially important for engines used infrequently like generators or power washers.  I found that out the hard way with my generator in Florida.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Since I know nothing about the subject, I had a consult with Mr Google.  It seems there was an article about this in the Manila Times a while back where they suggest:

" two new products, Fuel Med RX and Engine Med RX, have metal corrosion inhibitors that help protect engines from the effects of using fuels with ethanol. Both are sold at Yamaha dealerships nationwide."

You can read the article at  http://www.manilatimes.net/ethanol-blended-fuel-and-your-engine/47608/

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Either use gas w/o ethanol or keep the tank drained after use. I do this for my generator and lawnmower if not used in a month.  

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Carbs used to gum up with residual varnishes long ago as the fuel partially evaporated over time. The metering valve could stick, and the jets could clog. I don't know what modern fuels use for inhibitors or stabilizers, but better safe than sorry. Its easier to go the extra mile early than deal with big problems later. 

If your engines are exposed to salty air, better take extra care.

When I'd put my outboards into winter storage, I would drain most of the carburaetor bowl fuel, and run the engine briefly while spraying an oil/lube fogging compound into the air intake to coat the cycliner, rings, etc that was designed specifically for that purpose by OMC. This was to prevent corrosion and piston/bearing seizure during extended periods of non-use.

When we were poor, we'd just cut some oil with a little gas and pour it into the plug hole and turn over the cylinder a few times and then leave the plug fully inserted, but not tightened down.

Its always wise to drain or stabilze the fuel since its an ounce of prevention. Also good to put a long term lube on surfaces that are subject ot oxidization over time. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I always took care of my engines as best I could and sought out advice from all the guys I knew who were.

"Be good to..... the gentlemen, Fancy (substit: your engines, boys).... and they'll be good to you." 

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

I used to be able to get it at the Concorde store on the 2nd level of Harbor Point mall. The last two times I tried to get some they were out of stock. If you find some would you mind picking up a bottle for me too? I also in the past have been able to buy it at the Motorcycle supply store in Angeles at the Marquee Mall (2nd level next to the Ace Hardware)...

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Sorry if I might sound a bit stupid here. What if you just run the tank dry if you are not using the engine for a few months. If there is no fuel in the system, what is there to gum up?

Ken

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I used to be able to get it at the Concorde store on the 2nd level of Harbor Point mall. The last two times I tried to get some they were out of stock. If you find some would you mind picking up a bottle for me too? I also in the past have been able to buy it at the Motorcycle supply store in Angeles at the Marquee Mall (2nd level next to the Ace Hardware)...

Jon, I will take a look.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Sorry if I might sound a bit stupid here. What if you just run the tank dry if you are not using the engine for a few months. If there is no fuel in the system, what is there to gum up?

Ken

Sometimes that might not be so easy.  E.G., on my big generator in Florida I had a shut off valve.  I would turn that off and run the engine dry, but the big tank might have a lot of fuel left and was not easy to drain.  The guy who fixed it for me when it got gunked up told me to keep stabilizer in all my fuels.

After my first year in Florida when we had 3 hurricanes come through (and no gasoline for a week one time), I always kept 30 gallons of gasoline on hand during storm season, and kept stabilizer in it too.  After storm season I would use it up in my car.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

With all the OFWs here, coming and going, one would think, that is, if they choose to look after their vehicles, there would be a demand for fuel stabilizer.

I use it in my car in Canada when I am here and I used it in my I/O boats before. I mistakenly brought a bottle with me last trip as somehow it got mixed in the 'To Go" boxes with the chocolates.

Diesel needs stabilizer more than gas does, I was told by the bike mechanic that I gave my stabilizer to.

In the north, it is better to keep the tank full with stabilizer than it is to empty the tank (due to condensation.)

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

With all the OFWs here, coming and going, one would think, that is, if they choose to look after their vehicles, there would be a demand for fuel stabilizer.

I use it in my car in Canada when I am here and I used it in my I/O boats before. I mistakenly brought a bottle with me last trip as somehow it got mixed in the 'To Go" boxes with the chocolates.

Diesel needs stabilizer more than gas does, I was told by the bike mechanic that I gave my stabilizer to.

In the north, it is better to keep the tank full with stabilizer than it is to empty the tank (due to condensation.)

I can understand the condensation issue in countries with extreme temperature/humidity values, such as North America or northern Europe but I have never noticed condensation here, exept on my ice cold San Mig bottle! So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I just run the tank dry before any prolonged period of storage. So far I haven't had any issues with anything 'gumming' up the works. But I will take the precaution of keeping my fingers crossed in future.

Ken

• Like 1