First Timers And Your Driver's License

RonHenk
Posted
Posted
It will be interesting to see how this is enforced

They are aggressively enforcing it. I've been to two LTO here in and around Naga City Bicol and both were adamant about the requirement. I'm at my wits end on trying to get a license here.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Thankfully I don't have a dog in this hunt, I got my DL renewed in October.

Has anyone asked (sorry if this was asked and answered and I missed it) what documentary proof the LTO will accept? I mean face to face with a supervisor at LTO and asked him/her?

Seems to me unless you have a 13A visa the only thing that would show you "might" stay for a year is a Balikbayan visa. Or maybe a lease agreement for a year? Prepaid phone contract?

• Like 1

RonHenk
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thankfully I don't have a dog in this hunt, I got my DL renewed in October.

Has anyone asked (sorry if this was asked and answered and I missed it) what documentary proof the LTO will accept? I mean face to face with a supervisor at LTO and asked him/her?

Seems to me unless you have a 13A visa the only thing that would show you "might" stay for a year is a Balikbayan visa. Or maybe a lease agreement for a year? Prepaid phone contract?

I was face to face with the Director of an LTO here and he couldn't (wouldn't?) answer that question. He simply stated that he didn't know WHAT I could provide to prove the requirement. I am Balikbayan, but only have 7 months left. I asked if I was to leave the country and return with a new Balikbayan visa and then go straight to him on the very same day I arrived would that be sufficient? He said yes that would show my intent on staying in the country for one year, however I still would not qualify because I had not been in country for 30 days. It's a Catch 22 for me. Talk about frustration.

He informed me that this requirement was being pushed from the highest levels of the LTO and was being strictly enforced and that he risked loosing his job if he was to issue me a license. Don't know what I'm going to do. I just bought a new motorcycle and I can't even drive it.

Edited by RonHenk
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

OK so I can see the problem with a BB Stamp but all others, I ask what WTF is this for?post-2148-0-38083600-1452905667_thumb.jp if not to to Prove we are here for more than a Year?

Seems once again the Agencies are just not working Together, We are Forced to have it yet, is not going to be Accepted.? 

Just my bit for this Morning :)

Jack :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
It's a Catch 22 for me

Exactly what I was thinking Ron (Great book by the way :thumbsup: , if members haven't read it,,,,,order it, hilarious)

The more I think about this the more I scratch my head. Even if you apply now days for a 13A visa, you first get a 1 year probationary card (until it changes again) so to take my case, I enter on a balikbayan visa, (cant get a DL because of what you said in above post.) can't really apply for 13A because you have to be in country for 6 months before you can apply (NBI clearance). Once you get your 13a probationary which is only for 1 year by the time you get to LTO you are at 364 days, so you have to wait a year before you get your permanent 13a.

Yep, not to well thought out. Unless it is designed to reduce the number of cars on the road. Or drunk tourists off the road.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Which makes me wonder if I can drive on a Philippine license when I go back to Canada.

Only jeepneys and sidecar tricycles.

Using their logic, the one year thing might be that your passport is valid for 1 year.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

With all the new regulations, I am wondering that when I arrive from Australia do I have to get an international drivers license, or can I just get around on my Aussie license?

Thanks,

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4. Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application;

What is SP?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I went to get my driving licence today, having had a previous abortive attempt last month. Thanks to the heads-up received on this thread about the new regulations, I went forarmed with a copy of the lease of my house. It was accepted without question. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, due to the fact there are no licence card blanks, I have a scrappy piece of paper as a licence instead.

Ken

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

With all the new regulations, I am wondering that when I arrive from Australia do I have to get an international drivers license, or can I just get around on my Aussie license?

Thanks,

You have 90 days from arrival to use your current license.

• Like 1