First Timers And Your Driver's License

luke
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately, due to the fact there are no licence card blanks, I have a scrappy piece of paper as a licence instead.

That scrappy paper is your OR and has to stay with your "plastic"!

Without the OR the plastic is worthless.

At my last renewal (2015) also no plastic available.

Have to check if it is already available now....

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

But since it had been over 6 months since it had expired I had to do the written and driving exams again.

And we think they do some things here not right in the Phils regarding useless requirements ..... funny how you can forget how to drive after 6 months requiring you to take a written and driving test ..... :rolleyes:

:cheersty:

The difference here in the US was that I didn't have to pay any extra money. The cost for the DL was the same regardless of whether I had to take the exam's again.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, due to the fact there are no licence card blanks, I have a scrappy piece of paper as a licence instead.

That scrappy paper is your OR and has to stay with your "plastic"!

Without the OR the plastic is worthless.

I didn't know that, thanks for posting. Its importance wasn't mentioned at the LTO.

Ken

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
That scrappy paper is your OR and has to stay with your "plastic"! Without the OR the plastic is worthless.

I'm confused.  If this is his first license, he does not have any "plastic", just the slip of paper.  I assume by "plastic" you mean an actual license card.  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

That scrappy paper is your OR and has to stay with your "plastic"! Without the OR the plastic is worthless.

I'm confused.  If this is his first license, he does not have any "plastic", just the slip of paper.  I assume by "plastic" you mean an actual license card.  Am I missing something?

Yes, it's my first Phils licence, based on my UK one. It should be a credit card size plastic one with my photo on it, like the ACR-i card. But due to 'supply' issues the LTO won't have new stock until at least June, I was told. All I got instead was a handwritten slip of paper as a receipt with an official LTO stamp on it.

Ken

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, it's my first Phils licence, based on my UK one. It should be a credit card size plastic one with my photo on it, like the ACR-i card. But due to 'supply' issues the LTO won't have new stock until at least June, I was told. All I got instead was a handwritten slip of paper as a receipt with an official LTO stamp on it.

Ken

OK, that leads to the second part of my question.  I think Luke is saying we need to keep the OR with our plastic license?  I have never been asked for the OR and I have been pulled over 5 or 6 times.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Ken

OK, that leads to the second part of my question.  I think Luke is saying we need to keep the OR with our plastic license?  I have never been asked for the OR and I have been pulled over 5 or 6 times.

I wasn't informed that was the case by the LTO but, as all I got was the piece of paper, perhaps they didn't think it neccessary to tell me. I will just keep the receipt with the vehicles documents, just in case I get asked for it.

Ken

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I wasn't informed that was the case by the LTO

Don't worry.  They will tell you when you get stopped.  :hystery:   Reminds me of the time I separated the receipt from my ECC when leaving the country.  They almost did not let me leave as "Sir, the receipt was stapled to the ECC because it is needed with the ECC.  Why would you separate them?"

• Like 2

luke
Posted
Posted

If you are pulled over for a traffic "violation" they just wanna see if you have a license and then comes the game of how much you gonna "pay" to get going. If you are involved in an accident they most likely will ask for the O.R. (at least in Metro Manila). That is my experience.

Filipinos usually have this small red pouch with driver's license and O.R. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm going for renewal this week

Please report back OMW. It should be useful :thumbsup:

I got my renewal today and I will start a new topic later.  My experience should confirm that the new rules for foreigners are for first time license requests, as Mike put in the original topic heading.  Renewals are simple.

• Like 5