First Timers And Your Driver's License

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
  That is how a dummy does it.

fantastic.gif

Thanks for sharing.  That's good info and I am wondering why Ron Henk had such difficulty renewing his. ( http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/24400-first-timers-and-your-drivers-license/?view=findpost&p=172082) Perhaps he needs to go to the office you went to.

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Well I'll find out Thursday of this next week. I'm going to try and get mine. I'll be here 90 days on Balik Bayan stamp. I'll keep you posted. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Dave, are you sure Ron's was a renewal or first time?  I reread his posts and I am not sure.  He may have been here a long time but never applied for a license before.  Ron?

I printed out the list I gave the link to, just in case, and took it with me.  If I had to, I would have shown them the list that says renewal requires only license, med cert, and application.

• Like 3

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

Dave, are you sure Ron's was a renewal or first time?  I reread his posts and I am not sure.  He may have been here a long time but never applied for a license before.  Ron?

I printed out the list I gave the link to, just in case, and took it with me.  If I had to, I would have shown them the list that says renewal requires only license, med cert, and application.

Mine is a first timer guys. Still searching for a cheap roundtrip ticket to get a new Balikbayan.

• Like 2

luke
Posted
Posted

Mine is a first timer guys. Still searching for a cheap roundtrip ticket to get a new Balikbayan.

You can continue your stay on a tourist visa for another 36 months...

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

But you need 1 year on your Visa to get a license. Not 'x' amount of extensions available that you could be here a year. 

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

If I read the direction correctly: http://www.lto.gov.ph/images/Home/Advisory/AVT_2015_031.pdf

Ill. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS

A. Qualifications:

1. Must be at least eighteen (18) years old;

2. Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle;

3. Must be able to read and write Filipino, English or the applicable local dialect;

4. Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application; and

5. In addition, for foreigners. the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one {1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one {1) year from date of application.

A balikbayan visa in my opinion is not proof you will stay in the country for 1 year; you can leave anytime. And you would have to go immediately on arrival to the LTO office to apply or risk a laps of a day....

Either you have to present a work contract or some sort of proof you will live in the country for 1 year.

Perhaps a rental agreement or maybe a certificate of registration at the Embassy for those who live here already for more than one year. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

The round trip ticket for two plus lodging for a couple days can be cheaper than for 9A visa extensions for one year. There are other benefits like not having to report every time you move if you are not permanently settled yet. No reporting. I would gladly pay more than the 9A visa costs to get the benefits of Balikbayan! :999:

Of course you could land in another country, get the stamp at immigration and come straight back on the next plane as all you need is your passport stamped someplace else and to re-enter the Philippines.

The BB converts automatically to tourist visa after 1 year. I would probably extend twice for 59 days each time and then get out before BI starts tacking on all the (for them) goodies, acri card, biometrics, exit clearance certification. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If I read the direction correctly: http://www.lto.gov.ph/images/Home/Advisory/AVT_2015_031.pdf

Ill. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS

A. Qualifications:

1. Must be at least eighteen (18) years old;

2. Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle;

3. Must be able to read and write Filipino, English or the applicable local dialect;

4. Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application; and

5. In addition, for foreigners. the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one {1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one {1) year from date of application.

A balikbayan visa in my opinion is not proof you will stay in the country for 1 year; you can leave anytime. And you would have to go immediately on arrival to the LTO office to apply or risk a laps of a day....

Either you have to present a work contract or some sort of proof you will live in the country for 1 year.

Perhaps a rental agreement or maybe a certificate of registration at the Embassy for those who live here already for more than one year. 

On number 4 what is an sp?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On number 4 what is an sp?

Student Permit.