First Timers And Your Driver's License

robert k
Posted
Posted

One option would be to get an SRRV visa than cancel it to get back the deposit, and switch to a tourist visa. But this would still cost $1400.

I'm sure something could be worked out for far less than that. Not that I would ever suggest doing anything illegal, except parking. And the parking is just because I knew there were no towtrucks. :thumbsup:

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? I'll be hitting 90 days next month and I really want to buy myself a private trike.

I have a valid US car and motorcycle license, but that's clearly not going to do me much good here. Should I just take a copy of my lease and hope for the best?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? I'll be hitting 90 days next month and I really want to buy myself a private trike.

I have a valid US car and motorcycle license, but that's clearly not going to do me much good here. Should I just take a copy of my lease and hope for the best?

Unfortunately I haven't heard of any work around at this time .... just don't try the fixers hanging around the LTO offices .... there have been quite a few horror stories about those that have and found out later that when stopped .... had an accident or license taken for getting a ticket .... they were caught with a fake license .... even if never caught when you renew each time you will have to get another fake license from another fixer as it definitely won't go through the system ..... remember you are a foreigner and it will deffinately not go well for you ....

Now I know you didn't hint at this but just thought I would warn you in advance .... JMHO .... :tiphat:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately I haven't heard of any work around at this time .... just don't try the fixers hanging around the LTO offices .... there have been quite a few horror stories about those that have and found out later that when stopped .... had an accident or license taken for getting a ticket .... they were caught with a fake license .... even if never caught when you renew each time you will have to get another fake license from another fixer as it definitely won't go through the system ..... remember you are a foreigner and it will deffinately not go well for you ....

Now I know you didn't hint at this but just thought I would warn you in advance .... JMHO .... :tiphat:

Thanks for the heads up. I've never even heard of a fixer. Lol.

I do everything on my own. I don't trust any kind of service when it comes to official documentation.

I do hope we can find a way to do this, though. Riding overpriced taxi trikes is getting old quickly and I like being able to go where I want, when I want.

• Like 3

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the heads up. I've never even heard of a fixer. Lol.

I do everything on my own. I don't trust any kind of service when it comes to official documentation.

I do hope we can find a way to do this, though. Riding overpriced taxi trikes is getting old quickly and I like being able to go where I want, when I

My advice would be. If you don't get any satisfaction from the minions at the LTO. Ask to speak to the director. Perhaps something can be worked out with him/her. Come armed with everything you can think of to show you intend to make the PI your home. Lease, marriage certificate, water bill, electric bill, contract with your internet provider, whatever you have. Be extremely polite and ask WHAT (if anything) you can do to satisfy their requirements. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you fair.

Ron

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Worst case, drive on the license you have now. Nobody ever asked me how long I was in the country and I went through more than 5 PNP checkpoints. License plates are probably a bigger problem.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

From what I gather the "fix" is the same as other things that need to get done here, here are the steps.

Step 1 - take your documentation and apply as normal

Step 2 - go back and see a different attendant/officer/whatever and try again (without mentioning previous attempt)

step 3 - go to a different office, return to step 1

• Like 1

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

From what I gather the "fix" is the same as other things that need to get done here, here are the steps.

Step 1 - take your documentation and apply as normal

Step 2 - go back and see a different attendant/officer/whatever and try again (without mentioning previous attempt)

step 3 - go to a different office, return to step

Been there, done that. Steps 1 thru 3. Didn't work.

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

So, lets just say that the rule stands long term and I drive on my US license while playing the role of dumb blonde American woman at checkpoints. Hey... You use what you've got, right? :hystery:

1) Can I purchase and insure a trike without a PI license and successfully register it?

2) What is the fine if my acting skills aren't up to par and they cite me for not having the PI license that is now seemingly impossible to obtain?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So, lets just say that the rule stands long term and I drive on my US license while playing the role of dumb blonde American woman at checkpoints. Hey... You use what you've got, right? :hystery:

1) Can I purchase and insure a trike without a PI license and successfully register it?

2) What is the fine if my acting skills aren't up to par and they cite me for not having the PI license that is now seemingly impossible to obtain?

:hystery:  Bella I will be quiet as all I can offer is Silly  :rolleyes: