The Prisoner! ( Well A Filipino Under House Arrest) Is It Legal Do You Think?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89:  A question I doubt anyone of us mere Foreigners can Answer but...........

Over the Years we talk about Drugs, Dependency & affects on family but do we ever talk about Rehabilitation?

I think as far as the Authorities go, certainly here in Dumaguete they have tried. We have a DRU (Drug Reliability Unit)  Attached to the City Jail down by the main LTO. I have spoken before about a nephew that has been in and out of this DRU for over 4 years now at a great Cost. Initial rehab is about 35.000 then at 16.000 per month.There is no limit on stay so it can become a Hotel for druggies. If they can get the money.

About a year ago I stopped supporting this nephew as it was clear he just did not want to stop his Habit. As soon as he was out he was stealing and up to no good for money. It was doing him No Good and costing a Fortune for his little Holidays as he called them.  So I go to "Mamas" House for a Dinner not long ago and was Horrified at what I found next Door at the SIL's house. A man 22 locked in Bedroom all caged like a Dog. OK he has his own CR and a Shower head to use but that's it apart from a bed a chair and a small table,

This guy is  to me, a Prisoner albeit at home. The family just Can't/Won't pay for anymore Rehabs, so this is the result.

Is this Legal? but then, What else can you do with a guy that just is not getting off the habit and seems there is nowhere to go  Unless you have Plenty of Dough to throw around.  

Jack :(

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It may not be legal, but it may be better than the alternative and it may be that the authorities look the other way.  What alternative?  Let me elaborate.

I commented to "Y" about the number of shootings in Dumaguete and she laughed. She said:  "You think it is bad now?  When Duterte get elected you will need earplugs."  The general consensus among her peers is that Duterte will be another Marcos and will "clean up this country".

So back to the guy in the cage, he has a few months to get clean before the election or he may become one of the "examples", or so some locals believe.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

In the US, it would be considered "False Imprisonment". In the PI, it's a "Family Matter".

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another story about a prisoner.  This one told to me by my spouse.

When "Y" was 17 she was left to deal with her dying Grandfather and no money.  The man was apparently senile and could not stand, but he would try.  Then he would fall down, hit his head, bleed profusely and pass out.  "Y", who is very tiny, would have extreme difficulty getting him back onto the bed, and when he awoke he would do the same thing again.  There was no medicine.  There was no doctor.  Her Grandmother had passed the year before. There was little food and all the other family members stayed away, lest they be asked to help.  Her only recourse was to tie him to the bed so he stopped hurting himself.

A couple of weeks later he passed on.  Then all the other family members showed up to tell her how heartless she was and how she needed to get out now because, although the Grandparents had raised her from an infant, she was not a 'daughter' so she could not inherit and needed to get out so those who were entitled to the place could take it over.

Welcome to the Philippines, its more fun here.  

Edit:  turns out the staff at the hospital ICU was tying down my buddy so he would stop trying to pull the tubes out of his throat.  Prisoners everywhere in this country  :bash:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Jack, that is absolutely barbaric to confine someone like that, which I would never do!

I would instead leg shackle them, length and weight of chain to be decided by the family member they pissed off most.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I would instead leg shackle them, length and weight of chain to be decided by the family member they pissed off most.

That would be me! :hystery: