Decision Time 2016. Crunch Time Now Or Later?

chris49
Posted
Posted

If you do go to Oz, you need to plan soon to take your family with you. If you stay here, you will be with your family. Either way, it is best to be with your family. At your age, 2 years is like 10 years. The world has lost two noted men this past week, both in their 60's, David Bowie and Glen Frey of the Eagles. Going for 6 months would be a waste of time and money. You have to make a decision and stick to it.

the other jp

Not only those, people younger than myself die all the time and it's noticeable.

Right now I'm looking at the humanitarian angle which may allow me more visits back to P.I.

Will update later. But it's end of 2016, even 2017 when I will be going.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is rather complex situation, well seems to be from my understanding but since Chris is already getting a US pension, why cant he claim the Aus pension though the US agreement. There is a US Social Security Administration at

1201 Roxas Blvd
Ermita
0930 Manila
PHILIPPINE

Where the claim can be lodged from my understanding.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

This is rather complex situation, well seems to be from my understanding but since Chris is already getting a US pension, why cant he claim the Aus pension though the US agreement. There is a US Social Security Administration at

1201 Roxas Blvd
Ermita
0930 Manila
PHILIPPINE

Where the claim can be lodged from my understanding.

Right Tom. The International Agreement awards a part pension to those who have segments of time in both countries. Unfortunately you have to be living in the USA to claim that and there are residency checks every 90 days. It is particularly helpful to a person who has spent time in USA/Australia, but did not under normal circumstances qualify for a full pension in either country.

Now in this case one pension or the other is going to be reduced. You cannot reside in a 3rd country. Of course I thought of that also, going to the USA and staying with any one of my 3 kids. But again it doesn't work out. And I would not get the health care benefits I had mentioned in the first post.

Now in my case I am fully qualified in both countries.

Not only that, you are restricted in the time out of the USA and if found eg living in the Philippines, everything would be stopped. Not worth the risk.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Or conversely you could be living in Australia and use the SS Admin (USA) in Manila to claim your US Pension.

NB: There is no US SS service in Australia even at the US Embassy. The Manila Office serves Australia and all Asia.  And I have been there 7-8 times to make claims and occasionally contact them. They are also responsible for making sure you are still living in the Philippines and that you are still alive, which is checked once per year.

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Mistakes I've made a few, to quote Glades Knight and the Pipes. But the biggest mistake I ever made in my life on earth was separating myself from my Children for two years. It's the one regret that hangs over me like a boulder. My children needed me in more ways than just monetary ways. The emotional loss they went through not having Dad around was devastating and our relationship was never as good as it once was. They were young and I was in the military. I volunteered for something I thought would make my career better, I chased some dollars through promotion. In the end I lost a wife and because of her bitterness my children suffered even more. Your in a tuff situation, but you can never nurture your children and love them the way all children deserve from a distance. My two cents. Even now this is hard to talk about, for me and my grown children.

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted

we live on my small US Pension and a fairly generous child allowance. Roughly 60,000 pesos/month. Child allowance runs 17 more years, will stop at that point.  

I am a bit confused on this first part, sorry. Are you saying the amount includes a child allowance that will be removed in 17 years? If so by how much? Or from that amount you are paying for a child and the current deduction goes away in 17 years?

I am 66. Receiving SS. An SS recipient over 62 receives an allowance for each child under 18. If more than one child the allowance is split. I have a daughter 3 years old and a son who is 1 year old. The one year old gets his allowance until age 18. Therefore 17 more years.

Or if I die they still get it, but under a slightly different formula. Survivor's Benefits.

In my case, because I'm on the lower end of SS.....around $570/month...$285 each.

Chris:

Is your wife also getting a little bit from SS? My understanding (and I just spoke to the SS folks last week) is that in addition to your children, the mother (even if not a US citizen) gets something also, with the family max being 180% of your SS retirement allotment. I assume you know of this but thought I would ask.

chris49
Posted
Posted
Is your wife also getting a little bit from SS? My understanding (and I just spoke to the SS folks last week) is that in addition to your children, the mother (even if not a US citizen) gets something also, with the family max being 180% of your SS retirement allotment. I assume you know of this but thought I would ask.

What are you referring to? Survivors Benefits? Which applies at age 60, or 50 if you have a disabled child. Gina is 26.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/survivors/

It's true the wife doesn't have to be a US Citizen but she must fulfill a 4 year residency requirement. She could then be living anywhere and receive Survivor's Benefits. She can't get anything while I am alive. Me too, I have been in touch with them quite frequently.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

What are you referring to? Survivors Benefits? Which applies at age 60, or 50 if you have a disabled child. Gina is 26.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/survivors/

It's true the wife doesn't have to be a US Citizen but she must fulfill a 4 year residency requirement. She could then be living anywhere and receive Survivor's Benefits. She can't get anything while I am alive. Me too, I have been in touch with them quite frequently.

No not survivors benefits. I think the following is the quote from Social Security that refers to it. I called them last week just to confirm about my personal situation but YMMV. Any way you look at it the maximum family benefit is 180%. 

"Even if he or she has never worked under Social Security, your spouse may be able to get benefits if he or she is at least 62 years of age and you are receiving or eligible for retirement or disability benefits. He or she can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

Your husband or wife can also receive a spouse's benefit at any age if he or she is caring for your child who is younger than age 16 or disabled."

"Benefits paid to you as a spouse will not decrease your spouse’s retirement benefit. In fact, the value of the benefits you may receive, added to their benefits, may help your spouse decide if taking benefits sooner may be more advantageous.

Maximum Family Benefits

If one of your spouse's children also qualifies for benefits, there is a limit to the amount we can pay family members.

The total depends on your spouse's benefit amount and the number of family members who also qualify on the same record. The total varies, but generally the total amount the worker (your spouse) and their family members can receive is about 150 to 180 percent of the worker's full retirement benefit."

Edited by davewe

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are already on the family limit.

And my information is that the spouse has to fulfill the residency requirement to get benefits.

Thanks for posting it.

150-180% is the amount for Survivor's. Even if it states that, the amount for dependents is 80%.....eg from $1000 the dependents get $800 split between them.

Edited by chris49

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Chris, I read through the whole thread. Is there any way you could somehow all move to Australia? I know the cost of living there would be huge but there are also benefits 

Asked and answered on the first page  :tiphat:

Our government has a penalty clause for that.  My pension is on single status, a larger amount.   If i sponsor Gina for immigration, the pension reverts to the married rate.Significantly lower.It is assumed that both parties will draw the Age Pension at some point. They do not consider her age and that she's 40 years from pension age.

Haha Dave my memory is....... 

• Like 1