Walking Around Money?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

NOTE that only certain machines will allow it.  The machined that only give out 1,000 peso notes (nothing smaller) are the ones that will often dispense more on a foreign card.

That's another issue I need to address that I don't worry much about here. Keeping smaller denomination notes on me so I don't run into 'sorry, no change'

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
so I assume that is a new nationwide policy.

There is no nationwide policy on anything, anything, and everything.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I make a point of carrying two debit cards (Barclays, UK - works well with BPI) since Barclays have a habit of stopping their cards if used in the Philippines until I phone their anti fraud number. I agree with the advice to withdraw P9,900 each time and the advice to carry a cheap wallet with ideally a couple of useless credit cards and other stuff (airline mileage card, whatever) that you can afford to lose in it to make it look realistic (Filipino thieves know that foreigners always carry cards!)     

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I do like the idea of P9,900 withdrawals and will probably use that tactic.

Don't think I will get a wallet though, haven't carried one in 25 years. Two reasons, hated sitting on the damn thing all the time, and a money clip in the front pocket is way harder to pick so is more secure.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Don't think I will get a wallet though, haven't carried one in 25 years. Two reasons, hated sitting on the damn thing all the time, and a money clip in the front pocket is way harder to pick so is more secure.

I know what you mean,.It's just a question of having something to throw at the "holdupper". It hasn't happened to me yet.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I know what you mean,.It's just a question of having something to throw at the "holdupper". It hasn't happened to me yet.

I understand. I take the tactic of being aware of my surroundings (maintain situational awareness), don't walk around with bling (even sold my watch, have my phone if I need to know the time), and don't go to areas that look risky (a street crowded with families at 2pm may turn into a dark alley at 2am...). The 'holdupper' will go for the drunk guy with a fancy gold watch and bills half hanging out of his pockets before looking at me twice LOL

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Do you carry ID? 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Do you carry ID? 

Driver's License, VA Card, and wallet size US Passport if your asking about picture ID?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I carry a laminated copy of my passport, my ATM card, my Robinson's card, and no more than p2,000 (usually much less). Ok, I do take p2,500 when we go grocery shopping.  My wallet is worth more than the money in it ha ha :tiphat:

• Like 2