Are You 'on Vacation' Here ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I'm sometimes asked by my wife's relatives, Pinoys I've known at my gym for 3-4 years, et al, "Are you enjoying your vacation (holiday) here?"  

"Yes. Very much. Ako masaya dito ( I happy here ). I graciously reply to their kind inquiry and good manners.

Beat me with a stick for word selection nitpicking and possible misinterpretation their use of English if you must,.....

But what exactly do they mean by 'vacation'?  I'm aware that the term is open to a broad variety of uses, e.g. childrens' out-of-school 'summer vacation, etc..... but I'm here half a year for the last decade and for some reason I don't feel I'm 'vacationing'.

I must be doing something wrong because it sure feels like daily living to me.

But then again.... I don't shop, cook, do laundary, WORK, or anything truly productive. They must have me figured out better than I do myself. :morning1:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You sir are indeed living in da Philippines so you are........... VACATION FULL TIME! :hystery:  :cheersty: 

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The looks I get when I say this is now my home...  And then the "I have a daughter/niece/neighbour who would love Canada" starts...  i guess they are trying to get rid of me...!

:mocking:

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Not here. I am on vacation when I am in Canada for 6 months. For the 6 months here, there is always something broken, something to fix or change, someone is sick, one crisis after another, someone dies, forms to fill out, papers to process, always something needs something, something to buy, etc. We just got a puppy so that keeps us busy. Today, granny is sick so she needs to see a doctor.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I tell them I am not on vacation, I have retired here full time.  Many seem to just assume we are vacationers.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Not here. I am on vacation when I am in Canada for 6 months. For the 6 months here, there is always something broken, something to fix or change, someone is sick, one crisis after another, someone dies, forms to fill out, papers to process, always something needs something, something to buy, etc. We just got a puppy so that keeps us busy. Today, granny is sick so she needs to see a doctor.

I know exactly what you mean. Also some people have asked the question of how they will keep occupied? They will learn how long it takes to do anything.