What To Bring List

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

For diving get a 1mm full body wetsuit, quality thick soled dive boots along with your BCD regs and all.

If you have large sized feet like me buy a few pair high quality comfortable sandals and lightweight tennis shoes (called Rubber Shoes in Philippines). Also quality breathable sox. 

What others called out if you are tall or big buy some clothing in the States. I am XXL and bring a number of golf breathable polo shirts the breathable moisture-wicking type same with like Nike running shirts the very light weight ones. I find they keep you cooler and look good too. 

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I sent my drinking glasses.  Had them since the early 80's and they are unbreakable :) I would not have left them behind...but they are easy to buy here, and cheap.  Unless you have some special ones.  I sent all my porcelain dishes, and Chantal cookware too.  Why rough it?

What I have noticed on can openers is that first, the ones here are not very good - but, second. (and more importantly) even with a good American can opener, the Filipino made cans don't open well.  The cans do not seem to be made well.  There is virtually no lip, or edge, for the opener to grip.  Foreign cans open fine.

You won't find a huge demand for pocket knives here, although some mall kiosks sell them, as it is mostly against the law to carry a bladed weapon (poorly worded law).

Section 1.  Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows:

"3.  It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct."

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You can have clothes made here if you find the right tailor ..... the one we use is a master tailor and has been in business for 40+ years ..... we just take him a pair of shorts to use for a pattern and he does a very good job in fact he does an excellent job making cargo shorts in a jumbo size .... same thing with tank tops and walking shorts ..... if you want good quality cloth and stuff like Velcro buy them before hand .... we let him get the zippers as it's hard to find them here over 6 in. long and unless you like your crotch up around your chin better to let them find them .... cargo pants cost us p550 to have them cut and sewed .... all stress points are double sewed ....

Very poor choice when it comes to power tools and pretty expensive .... but they are 220v .... if you use specialty hand tools best to bring them ... took me 6 years to find a pair of 9in. spring loaded dividers .... they only use the very basic tools here and if they can't buy them they either make them or improvise ..... 

If you have the time and patience you can find most anything just takes time and lots and lots of searching .... :tiphat:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Honey, jam, treats--available

Tabasco--available

Spices-available (for the most part)

Deodorant--available

Razors--available

Vitamins-available (unless you need something really specialized)

MJ, almost everything on your list is available in one form or another. All depends on how much stuff you have now, how much room you have and if you would rather sell and replace upon arrival or bring stuff and replace as it wears out.

Believe it or not the Philippines is not the outback of Sudan (just kidding). :hystery:

Good luck have fun :cheersty:

What I would do is work out how much it would cost to ship some of the things you have listed and find out how much it would cost to get that item here. It might save you some money and maybe hassle when they are imported.I bought pans for example here in 2011 and they are still in very good condition.Bed linen is best brought from the home countries.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
What To Bring List

:hystery:  After all the stuff on Posts here, best leave a bit of Space to bring yourself. + your wallet and ATM cards as well  :rolleyes:

Really though there is not much you cant get here most of the time, it really does depend on if you want to integrate or not.

Strange as it may seem some of the Things I did bring my wife either can't or won't use them. Some stuff is still in the boxes I brought 3+ years ago. From the US you are OK with Electric Plugs but for us Europeans ( Especially the UK,) it is a swift Plug Change as the pesky Adapters here last about naff all time. 

With the power voltage reductions we can get I am glad I never brought many power things (Tools and such Like)

It is not the best Quality I admit but my shed is nicely stocked now off all I need and a reduced Cost. And I can get things mended. Spare parts for things we bring can be a long time to find.

Sorry if this sounds a little negative but you have to look at both sides of the coin. :thumbsup:

Jack :)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Strange as it may seem some of the Things I did bring my wife either can't or won't use them.

I had to teach my wife how to use a can opener - I don't allow my good Sabatier knives to open cans (regardless of the safety issues).  She won't use the porcelain dishes. She says she is scared of breaking them... but she serves my food on them, and she washes them... so why not use them herself?  ...don't argue  ha ha.  It took her a while to start using my good cookware, but once she got over her fear of hurting them, she realized how nice they are to cook with.  (All my kitchenware is older than she is ha ha)

She did quickly learn to appreciate good sheets - I should have brought more.  She still won't use my good bath towels, though.,  Balikbayan boxes are cheap. I say send it... you can always give stuff away later.  :tiphat:

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Definitely bring your brand of razors and shoes. I brought 5 pair of shoes. I had slippers locally sourced for around the house but I wasn't going anywhere without some shoes protecting my feet. I should have brought more simple canvas deck shoes which breathe and are almost as cool as slippers. You can wear them in the water also. Stepping on sea urchins barefoot is no fun.

I brought a couple of medium quality towels from walmart and I didn't see any better ones while I was there.

I would for certain bring a good set of line wrenches, I saw none available anywhere.

I should have brought a Rigid spud wrench and a really high quality small, Crescent type wrench.

I found a decent hammer but a good Estwing would beat them all, especially a 28oz rip claw framing hammer.

My Easy ACC 6000mah portable phone charger did double duty as my flashlight and would provide over 70 continuous hours of decent light on a single charge and since it was always with me to charge a phone (always GF's) if needed, came in handy when the lights went out at the supermarket where there were no windows and evidently none of the overhead lights had emergency ballasts. Walking at night anywhere it's a good idea to wear light clothing and have a light. In the Philippines, I'd say it was a better than good idea.

Otherwise, bring whatever you think will be worth the trouble of moving, some of it you will be right and some of it you will be wrong. I brought quality socks when someone else said you won't need them. I wore them about half the time. I did still have a a couple of brand new pairs when I met someone who needed bandages for their feet and I gave them the new socks because they were better bandages than anything that I saw locally. just because someone else didn't use it doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a use for it.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

We shipped 6 boxes of soaps, shampoos, razors and anything else the wife got couponing. Most of it she got 85% off,so it paid to ship it.

Looking at the prices here I am so glad we did. We gave a bunch away and still have a 2 year supply. So if you have clearance rack things you like ship away.

We also got linens and towels on sale. Around 50% off the price here and better quality for the most part. ???? It makes my skin happy.

That is what we use for gifting also. Everyone here likes stuff from the _______ (fill blank with your country).

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Thanks all. I would buy thinks like deodorant, but if I already a stash, why not thrown them it. Glad for the confirmation about sheets and towels. I haven't seen any quality stuff in SBMA.

I don't know how shipping BB boxes is priced. I have a pretty good stash of just-in-case food back in Oregon. I can donate this to a food bank or find out what it would cost to send in the boxes.

I have a 38 inch waist, not exactly obese, but in 3 months I haven't found a single belt here I can get around my middle. Also surprised that it's almost impossible to find a decent pocket knife here that isn't of the Chinese Rambo switchblade variety. Happily I have a nice collection Gerber, Swiss Army, etcetera.

I already got rid of the big tools so will just bring the little stuff. The only real challenge is my 1952 Martin D-18.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

As a guitar builder I would be really careful with the D-18 - you won't be able to replace that '52, unless I build you a new one :) I haven't brought a guitar on a plane in many years but intend to do that when I move. You might check with the airlines.

davewe
Posted
Posted

I sent my drinking glasses.  Had them since the early 80's and they are unbreakable :) I would not have left them behind...but they are easy to buy here, and cheap.  Unless you have some special ones.  I sent all my porcelain dishes, and Chantal cookware too.  Why rough it?

What I have noticed on can openers is that first, the ones here are not very good - but, second. (and more importantly) even with a good American can opener, the Filipino made cans don't open well.  The cans do not seem to be made well.  There is virtually no lip, or edge, for the opener to grip.  Foreign cans open fine.

You won't find a huge demand for pocket knives here, although some mall kiosks sell them, as it is mostly against the law to carry a bladed weapon (poorly worded law).

Section 1.  Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows:

"3.  It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct."

This interests me, since I always carry a pocket knife. Doesn't the term "or in pursuit of a lawful activity" make it ok?