How Well Do You Trust Your Partner

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Certainly not 100%.

I don't trust myself 100%, but, beyond that, K has a habit of telling me what she thinks I might like to hear, and there have been occasions when I have got more than one version of an account of something that happened.

This is not necessarily done with the intention of concealing any real wickedness; it is just that she grew up in the Philippines, and like most Southeast Asians she sometimes thinks that it is better to keep people happy than to tell them the facts.

This is a function of growing up in a society driven by "face" 

I don't check her phone or her FB page or her emails, It may well be that the longer she lives in Britain the more she will grow accustomed to "western" ideas of "truthfulness". I certainly trust her with money, etc.

As a general observation, I grew up in the Middle East and then lived in the Far East. I have found it wise to treat the  Filipinos, particularly those whom I do not know really well, more like the way one treats the Arabs (verify, and lay on the flattery with a trowel!)  than the way one treats the Chinese or the Japanese, but even with the latter is is best to ensure that they never lose face.  

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3