End Of Dishonest Taxi Drivers

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hope the drivers read this  :no:

House committee okays bill penalizing dishonest taxi drivers

The House of Representatives’ transportation committee approved on Wednesday (January 20) a bill that protects taxi passengers from dishonest drivers.

The bill establishes the passengers’ rights, including the right to be brought to their destination regardless of the length of journey or traffic conditions.

Passengers also have the right to direct the route and expect the driver to use the cheapest possible way to the destination, except when there is danger along the way.

The bill also provides that passengers have the right to request a silent atmosphere throughout the trip and decide on the level of air conditioning inside the cab.

Under the bill, fares should be paid based on the meter and passengers should be given the exact amount of change.

Drivers should also issue an official receipt.

Suspension of driver’s license

The bill requires taxi operators to ensure that each unit is equipped with a functioning door lock system, allowing passengers to open doors at any time.

Taxi drivers should also be licensed, properly dressed, courteous, and not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Should the taxi drivers behave otherwise, passengers can file complaints with the transport regulator, and these should be resolved within seven working days.

Drivers found violating provisions of the bill will be penalized. They will have to pay P1,000 for the first offense.

The penalty for the succeeding offenses can reach up to P5,000, with suspension of driver’s license for a year. 

• Like 5

Nephi
Posted
Posted

This would be a blessing to locals and foreigners alike. I have never had issued with drivers but I know that there are many that have in the past.

Main thin here is that for it to work, the law must be enforced over a long enough time that the drivers will learn to comply.

It will be worth following to see how it plays out in a year or two.

Nephi

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Never in our life time I am sure of it, You can't stamp out a Generation of Badness in a couple of years.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Never in our life time I am sure of it, You can't stamp out a Generation of Badness in a couple of years.

I'm not sure about that. If we look at how things are now compared to as in the past. More people through media such as Facebook, online news sites etc are learning their rights where in the past information was not so easy to come by. There's a website out now in the Phils that is for reporting taxis, kick a cab or something. Big Philippines sites like top gear are pointing out bad taxi drivers so once the word is spread about new regulations I think the drivers will have to comply or risk the consequences.  Sure it will take awhile for all to comply and the passengers need to act on their rights to send a message.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Ok, Ok, call it my perverse pessimistic mafia nature, this is what I foresee happening.

Sir/Ma'am your fair is 420 pesos

Wave your fare or I will report your behavior!

But Sir/Ma'am, I raised the Aircon, put on your music channel, told my wife you didn't like me talking to her on my cell while you were in the car, I just started my shift so I am freshly showered and this is a new shirt, Sir/Ma'am what are you going to report me for?

Does it matter? you will have to sacrifice driving time to answer my charges. So what will it be?

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Sure it will take awhile for all to comply and the passengers need to act on their rights to send a message.

A message that is so sadly missed.

Just a point here JGF, have you ever reported anything here in the PI? If you have then you will know, NO one listens, Media Brigade or not.

Its an Appeasement Propaganda issue, lets seem to be doing it right but we all know, it is never going to be done. 

2 years from now, we will still be saying the same thing, Rip off taxis. "You have a Right to be Ripped off" it is the Filipino way! NO? OK we will see. 4 years on from the Start of the Helmet Law and in Southern Negros with Dumaguete in Particular No moves at all So I will certainly not Hold my Breath, Yes I know there are no Taxis of any degree like Cebu and other Cities here but it is the same Philippines under the same Laws. Or is it?

Bolshy? Yep! You could say that but for I one, get so fed up of all these unworkable and not acted on laws.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Its an Appeasement Propaganda issue

Jack, not long ago on CNN Phil, they had one of those expose pieces about the "hot line" numbers you see to LTFB to report things.

Long story short, 3 numbers no answers on any of them, an interview with an LTFB bigwig got the usual, "we will do better"

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It all depends on location. The Manila taxi experience can be terrible. But I never had any issues in Baguio. The ride was always by the meter. I expect it all depends on the city and whether the local LRTB office enforces the rules.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

It all depends on location. The Manila taxi experience can be terrible. But I never had any issues in Baguio. The ride was always by the meter. I expect it all depends on the city and whether the local LRTB office enforces the rules.

Thats how I feel there is no way it would be enforced here. They still don`t wear crash helmets here and that includes the government employees.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It is getting harder and harder to earn a dishonest living.  :tiphat:  

First cup of coffee, devil made me do it. :morning1:

• Like 2