End Of Dishonest Taxi Drivers

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
The Manila taxi experience can be terrible

Knock on wood :1 (103): . We don't take a lot of taxi's but I can honestly say that we have never had a bad experience with a Manila cabbie. Some older Cabs yes. Music on the radio not to my taste yes. Aircon not high enough yes. But we have never been cheated, rude to, taken on long fare padding routes. (we have had a couple who have asked it we want to try a short cut to avoid traffic, but always asked before trying) But like anything else here.......YMMV :cheersty:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It will be worth following to see how it plays out in a year or two.  

Never in our life time I am sure of it, You can't stamp out a Generation of Badness in a couple of years.

Ahh Jack, there is that cynacism emerging again.  Everybody know they will read the legislation, go to church and change on the spot.

• Like 1

putidako
Posted
Posted (edited)

I usually take the side of the Manila taxi drivers ...in these situations. I should have the right, to refuse fares. If we are in Malate, you want to go to Pasig and I think I'll make more money around Makati tonight, then I have the right to refuse your custom. I also have the right to ask for fifty pesos on top of the meter if we go to Pasig, which will be convenient for you, the passenger, but won't be convenient for me as a driver.

Edited by putidako

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I usually take the side of the Manila taxi drivers ...in these situations. I should have the right, to refuse fares. If we are in Malate, you want to go to Pasig and I think I'll make more money around Makati tonight, then I have the right to refuse your custom. I also have the right to ask for fifty pesos on top of the meter if we go to Pasig, which will be convenient for you, the passenger, but won't be convenient me as a driver.

Let me see if I have this right.  Would this be the same as if you went into a grocery store on a busy night and they said: "We are very busy and can make more on that guy behind you with the big cart of groceries so you will have to take your business to another store."

What about if you just don't like foreigners, as a taxi driver, or maybe just certain kinds of foreigners, are you saying they should have the right to refuse them or charge more?

I'm just trying to understand your logic as it seems simple to me:  Get job as taxi driver.  Drive people where they want to go.  Charge the legal fee.

But I kind of like your logic when it comes to Ceres busses out of Cebu.  They get so crowded on a Friday afternoon that it would be fantastic if I could say to the conductor:  I'll pay you an extra 50 if you save me a nice seat.  But so far I have not found one willing to risk his job  :bash:

• Like 1

putidako
Posted
Posted

it's not anything do with foreigners - at all. As usual, foreigners are totally irrelevant here, just as they are in every other avenue of life in the Philippines.

your analogy is a false one.

taxi drivers are not like bus or jeepney drivers who drive a fixed route. They should have the right to refuse a fare if they think they can get a better more profitable fare or fares somewhere else. If you as a passengers are in Malate and want to go to Marikina city, the driver may very well not want to go out there and would prefer to stay local, ply his trade around there, make more money, and not waste his time conveying you all the way out there to Marikina at some times of the day, Who are you or anyone else to insist that drivers must convey passengers wherever they want, whenever they want. Not in the provincial cities so much if at all, but in Manila drivers just flat out refuse fares all the time. They don't want you, as a customer because your business is inconvenient at that particular moment. And I think they should continue to have the right to refuse your business on those occasions where they think it necessary.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
They should have the right to refuse a fare
your analogy is a false one.

You suggest my analogy is a false one, with not explanation and you suggest the taxi drivers should have rights (which they do not legally have) with nothing but your own gut feeling to suggest that should be the case.

I suggest your analysis is wrong, with only my gut feeling to back it up but I bet my gut is bigger than yours   :hystery: .

• Like 2

putidako
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm in Manila now. Not someplace like Dumaguete where there are no meter taxis at all. Taxi drivers here flat out refuse to take passengers to out-of-the-way places all the time. They don't do it because they want to rip anybody off - although they may ask a passenger to give them meter plus 50 or even meter plus 100 to compensate. They refuse the long-distance fare to the out-of-the-way place because they know they can make more money in the more local area where they stand a better chance of getting the more lucrative short-distance fares. That should be their decision, to make. 

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Remove harsh accusations, also deleted my own harsh responce

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It all depends on location. The Manila taxi experience can be terrible. But I never had any issues in Baguio. The ride was always by the meter. I expect it all depends on the city and whether the local LRTB office enforces the rules.

Thats how I feel there is no way it would be enforced here. They still don`t wear crash helmets here and that includes the government employees.

I counted the number of people not wearing helmets on motorbikes one day in Baguio. Almost 100% of motorbike riders were wearing helmets. 

putidako
Posted
Posted

Helmet-wearing, is a topic in its own right. Everybody on a motorcycle in Manila wears a helmet. It's not quite, but nearly 100%.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well at least some taxi drivers and departments are taking the job seriously.

In an effort to improve taxi services in the metro, transport regulators kicked off a series of seminars on Saturday (January 23) which aimed to educate cab drivers on traffic rules and customer courtesy.

Rodolfo Jaucian, regional director for the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), said on Sunday (January 24) that the weekly two-day "Taxi-Oriented Drivers' Academy" was free of charge and drivers would receive a certificate after the refresher course. 

For the first weekend, 680 drivers took part and received certificates of completion.

Related: House committee okays bill penalizing dishonest taxi drivers

This developed after the House committee on transportation approved on January 20 a bill establishing the rights of taxi passengers.

The bill aims to protect the commuting public from the discourteous and unprofessional cabbies — setting quality standards for vehicles and fines for violators.

Last January 13, a story about a cab driver who reportedly attacked a passenger with a sword caused a stir among netizens.

The LTFRB encourages taxi operators to send their drivers for the crash course, which will be held every Saturday and Sunday. Slot reservation can be done a week in advance.