Shopping Online: Amazon, Lazada, Facebook Groups ?

Lost
Posted
Posted

A 100-300% tax,

The DVD's I bought from Amazon, and delivered through Philpost were charged 12.5% VAT.

That's reasonable, but higher ticket items are where you get into trouble. Filipino netizens complain about it all the time, just google it you will find countless pages of ripoff reports. I ordered some medical items from Singapore and customs decided to ignore the invoice, and claim they were worth about 5 times what I paid. In that case I was able to fight it by providing the proof of amount paid. Also ordered jewelry once from amazon and paid more in tax then the item cost.

Just telling OP to be prepared to pay the customs taxes, you never know how much they will be.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

A 100-300% tax,

The DVD's I bought from Amazon, and delivered through Philpost were charged 12.5% VAT.

That's reasonable, but higher ticket items are where you get into trouble. Filipino netizens complain about it all the time, just google it you will find countless pages of ripoff reports. I ordered some medical items from Singapore and customs decided to ignore the invoice, and claim they were worth about 5 times what I paid. In that case I was able to fight it by providing the proof of amount paid. Also ordered jewelry once from amazon and paid more in tax then the item cost.

Just telling OP to be prepared to pay the customs taxes, you never know how much they will be.

I had some trouble with this also. Since I wasn't around to deal with it myself my mother-in-law paid the 5000 peso tax on 2 rings I bought on eBay for 2000 pesos (US $ equivalent). That kind of made the deal worthless to me. Thanks Mom.

I am curious the amount of the tax on the DVDs. Mind sharing? 12.5% of paid price ($5) OR value determined by customs officials ($60)? There is a big difference.

Edited by GregZ

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I am curious the amount of the tax on the DVDs.

Greg if memory serves.

We opened the Amazon cardboard shipping box together (postal guys and myself), we pulled out the Amazon invoice and they took the pretax amount multiplied by 12.5% then by the days exchange rate and that was the tax I paid.

• Like 2