Question About Legal Responsibilities Marrying

Vegeta
Posted
Posted

HI everyone.
I don't know if this is in the right section or not, but I Have some questions in regards to dating and marrying Filipinas. First things first, I am dating a Filipina and things seem to be going well. Now me being me, I like to think ahead and try to know what I'm getting into before anything becomes serious. So here is the situation.
The Filipina I am girl I am dating has a daughter that is 3 at the moment. I have only known her for a few months and haven't seen her in person yet as things are still early. What I want to know is, should the day come that we end up getting married or even just living together, am I then responsible legally to pay for her child?

I'm not trying to sound like a downer, but I just don't want to be legally responsible for a child that is not mine.

Second of all, I would like to know what the marriage laws say about divorce in the off chance that things go to sh&t after we marry. I'm not saying that it will, but these things  happen and I want to know what I'm getting into before I get into it. Am I able to get a divorce if we marry in the Philippines? If so, will I then be legally forced to pay child support for a child that is not mine?
Any help regarding this would be much appreciated :)
Thank you in advance

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

No such thing as divorce in the Philippines. annulment which can be expensive and time consuming yes. You can divorce in Australia but as far as I know you will be free but she won't. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
getting married or even just living together, am I then responsible legally to pay for her child?

Well, if you get married you will be the step father, and if you live together you will be the de facto step father (if the child lives with you that is) Legally? probably not, morally IMHO yep.

As Jolly said in the above, divorce is not allowed in the Philippines. There are laws about child support, but I doubt seriously they are enforced with any effectiveness. Right now I would be willing to bet the house that your girl is living with her Mom that is the norm here as the number of single mothers here is astounding.

Stay tuned, I am sure other members will be weighing in soon

Welcome to the forum :cheersty:

• Like 1

Vegeta
Posted
Posted

HI, First of all thanks for the feed back so far.

in response to some of the feedback. I am the type of person who would be willing to provide emotional and financial support for her child should we get serious and start living together and what not. I just want to know where I stand legally speaking. If things don't go well later on down the track and we end up splitting up, I don't want to be in a position that I am paying child support for her daughter. I am more than willing to help out while I am with her.
Also I should probably ask, If we were to down the track get married in the Philippines, would we be able to get a divorce in Australia? or would we have to marry in Australia for that to work.
I am not trying to think negatively about the whole situation. I hope that this is something that will last. But, I just want to know where I stand and what I'm getting into.
Once again, thanks for the feedback. :)

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Also I should probably ask, If we were to down the track get married in the Philippines, would we be able to get a divorce in Australia?

Already answered

I don't want to be in a position that I am paying child support for her daughter. I am more than willing to help out while I am with her.

I don't believe so unless you bring her to Australia. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am not trying to think negatively about the whole situation.

I believe it is wise to plan for the worst while hoping for the best.  In Philippines you could marry a lady without adopting her child, which means you would not be responsible for the future needs of said child.  It also means you may have difficulty bringing the child and mother to Australia because its never going to be your child and the father or his relatives may take issue with that.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Another thing to find out, since divorce is practically non-existent in the Phils is if she is married already. I am still looking for a way to know this for sure myself as I have been given a CENOMAR from a girl and found out later she paid her cousin to get it for her (in this case single with no kids meant separated with one kid).

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

HI everyone.

I don't know if this is in the right section or not, but I Have some questions in regards to dating and marrying Filipinas. First things first, I am dating a Filipina and things seem to be going well. Now me being me, I like to think ahead and try to know what I'm getting into before anything becomes serious. So here is the situation.

The Filipina I am girl I am dating has a daughter that is 3 at the moment. I have only known her for a few months and haven't seen her in person yet as things are still early. What I want to know is, should the day come that we end up getting married or even just living together, am I then responsible legally to pay for her child?

I'm not trying to sound like a downer, but I just don't want to be legally responsible for a child that is not mine.

Second of all, I would like to know what the marriage laws say about divorce in the off chance that things go to sh&t after we marry. I'm not saying that it will, but these things  happen and I want to know what I'm getting into before I get into it. Am I able to get a divorce if we marry in the Philippines? If so, will I then be legally forced to pay child support for a child that is not mine?

Any help regarding this would be much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance

Hello mate. I'm from Melbourne originally.

Quick  summary Part 1: you have not met the girl yet you are considering marriage.

Part 2: You marry the girl, you support the child. What other way is there? The option that might work for you, as it may have in other cases, is for your gf/wife to be, if you are planning to bring her to Australia. She leaves the child, but has the intention of getting a job to send support to her child and maybe her family.

But mate, these are enormous steps and basic immigration is expensive and currently takes 9 months. Now I have heard of cases where a Filipina can bring her child (not your Child) to Australia, but it's complicated and needs the biological father's permission.

I suggest that without a preliminary visit to the Philippines you can't decide any of that. Do that first.

• Like 3

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

make sure you get a cenomar before even thinking about marriage to find out if she was married to the father of her baby ! sometimes they will say there just a single mom but it turns out there whats called " paper married " ( legally married but no longer together ) as its been stated above theres no divorce in the Philippines 

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 3