Question About Legal Responsibilities Marrying

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another thing to find out, since divorce is practically non-existent in the Phils is if she is married already. I am still looking for a way to know this for sure myself as I have been given a CENOMAR from a girl and found out later she paid her cousin to get it for her (in this case single with no kids meant separated with one kid).

ALways rt you can get it yourself on your girl just go on the NSO's website fill out the forms and pay the fee

https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

Edited by OldUgly&Cranky
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Another thing to find out, since divorce is practically non-existent in the Phils is if she is married already. I am still looking for a way to know this for sure myself as I have been given a CENOMAR from a girl and found out later she paid her cousin to get it for her (in this case single with no kids meant separated with one kid).

ALways rt you can get it yourself on your girl just go on the NSO's website fill out the forms and pay the fee

Seems like a smart step before considering handing over 'support' payment(s) and/or moving in together.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Also I should probably ask, If we were to down the track get married in the Philippines, would we be able to get a divorce in Australia? or would we have to marry in Australia for that to work.

Yes. You can get a foreign divorce.  If the foreigner initiates the divorce it frees both of you up. If the Filipino initiates the divorce it only frees the foreigner for remarriage.  They have odd laws here ha ha

Being that this is the only country in the world with no divorce I researched it a lot before getting married (the Vatican hardly counts as a country).  Hopefully I will not need it - but I would not get divorced if there was no escape clause.   :tiphat:

Are there foreign divorces that are recognized under Philippine law?

Answer: As a rule, divorce is not recognized in the Philippines as a mode of dissolving marriage. In cases however where a Filipino citizen contracts a marriage with a foreigner, a divorce validly obtained thereafter in a foreign court by the foreigner spouse, i.e. the foreigner spouse initiated the divorce proceedings, such a divorce will be recognized under Philippine law (Article 26, paragraph (2), of the Family Code). The foreign divorce will have the effect of capacitating either the foreigner spouse or the Filipino spouse to remarry under Philippine law.

What if Maria initiates the court proceedings to obtain a divorce?

Answer: The Family Code provides that the foreigner spouse should be the one who will initiate the divorce proceedings. If Maria herself initiated the action to dissolve the marriage, a divorce obtained thereafter will not have any legal effect on her marriage with Pedro. Any subsequent marriage contracted by Maria will be considered null and void under Philippine law.

Source: http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/FAQs/FAQS-legal.htm#4

• Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Seems like a smart step before considering handing over 'support' payment(s) and/or moving in together.

it is and besides if things work out and decide to get married you will need that cenomar when applying for the marriage license anyway so you will already have one step done ! personally i will do that with any future woman i get serious with 

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

it is and besides if things work out and decide to get married you will need that cenomar when applying for the marriage license anyway so you will already have one step done ! personally i will do that with any future woman i get serious with 

So true in my opinion too, but if you get too far ahead of the game getting the CENOMAR, these forms can become dated (like the NBI clearance as well) and you will need to re-order when actually filing..but this CENOMAR YOU are the one who should order and not have HER provide it (too many fixers in the Phl). Delicately ask her the few questions-parent's names place of residence-age-a few more for $25. Let her know it's "suggested" by your country before traveling to the Philippines with this purpose in mind-there's legal consequences if she's married.

I think it's also good to find out as much as possible about the biological father (even if she states it's a closed subject). This prepares you better also (peace of mind).

I bet she's wonderful. It's just--well-saying all this that posters have mentioned....it's the Philippines and it's unique laws unfortunately make all this a vital necessity as Old, Ugly, Cranky, Tim, Always RT eluded.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

HI everyone.

I don't know if this is in the right section or not, but I Have some questions in regards to dating and marrying Filipinas. First things first, I am dating a Filipina and things seem to be going well. Now me being me, I like to think ahead and try to know what I'm getting into before anything becomes serious. So here is the situation.

The Filipina I am girl I am dating has a daughter that is 3 at the moment. I have only known her for a few months and haven't seen her in person yet as things are still early. What I want to know is, should the day come that we end up getting married or even just living together, am I then responsible legally to pay for her child?

I'm not trying to sound like a downer, but I just don't want to be legally responsible for a child that is not mine.

Second of all, I would like to know what the marriage laws say about divorce in the off chance that things go to sh&t after we marry. I'm not saying that it will, but these things  happen and I want to know what I'm getting into before I get into it. Am I able to get a divorce if we marry in the Philippines? If so, will I then be legally forced to pay child support for a child that is not mine?

Any help regarding this would be much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance

Could you clarify please? You are dating a woman you haven't actually met yet? or you haven't met her daughter? If you haven't even met the woman yet I would say to slow your roll.

Good advise in the other posts. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I am confused as well. Have you met this woman? No disrespect to you, I'm not calling you out just curious. Have you visited Philippines?

As far as knowing one way or the other if you would be held financially accountable in some manner is understandable. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

You have got all the  information from the members here.  The best advice came from Chris49, you need to spend the time to find

out if this girl is the one for you and take your time.  Don't rely on just one visit.

All the other regarding the child has been laid out for you here.

• Like 1

Vegeta
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone
Thanks all for the advice. There is a lot to take on board when considering this. All the advise is very helpful. I am not in a hurry to make any decisions, I will be taking it slow and see how things go as that was always the plan. I just like to think ahead and be well informed before I commit to something so I know what I am getting into :)
thanks for all your help

• Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone

Thanks all for the advice. There is a lot to take on board when considering this. All the advise is very helpful. I am not in a hurry to make any decisions, I will be taking it slow and see how things go as that was always the plan. I just like to think ahead and be well informed before I commit to something so I know what I am getting into :)

thanks for all your help

take some advice from somebody who has been threw allot ( me ) be very very very careful of any woman who has a kid or kids , im not trying to sound jaded about single mothers there because every person is different and every situation is different but do your home work dont trust in just words they say , let them prove it in there actions and willingness to do what ever you need to make you trust them ! and if there is hints or asking of money say goodbye because thats a sign of things to come and there will always be something come up, the buffalo is sick and needs a vet or a uncle needs a loan to fix the trike,  or a niece needs school tuition ,take things slow go meet this girl and also make a back up plan to meet others because to be honest there making back up plans with others aswell , and cant blame them they have a family to feed , good luck with your girl , none of wants to make you paranoid about the ladies there but just to advised and be cautious cheers mate 

O-U-C :thumbsup:  

• Like 1