Question About Legal Responsibilities Marrying

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

You should do a trip to the Phills and check out the Lolly Jar, it is very large and full of many different types and flavours. But one thing I have found is there are not many honest Lollys in the Jar. It is considered a sport in the Phills to remove as much Peso from your Wallet in the shortest time possible, not many look at the long term possibilities, they only live for today.

robert k
Posted
Posted

You should do a trip to the Phills and check out the Lolly Jar, it is very large and full of many different types and flavours. But one thing I have found is there are not many honest Lollys in the Jar. It is considered a sport in the Phills to remove as much Peso from your Wallet in the shortest time possible, not many look at the long term possibilities, they only live for today.

Sad, but I saw a lot of this, attempted. They didn't have much luck though.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have seen a lot of families putting pressure on the girl to empty the wallet.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

No such thing as divorce in the Philippines. annulment which can be expensive and time consuming yes. You can divorce in Australia but as far as I know you will be free but she won't. 

Interesting article about divorce below. I always were under the impression the Filipina was still locked into marriage after the foreigner files for a divorce in the home country but this seems to contradict that. 

Dear PAO,
I’m just wondering if a divorce decree obtained by a former Filipino citizen against his Filipino spouse will be recognized in the Philippines. Does this apply only to marriages between Filipino citizens and foreigners? Please enlighten me. Thanks.
Mr. Co
Dear Mr. Co,
There is no law allowing divorce in the Philippines. It is yet to be enacted. Thus, a divorce decree obtained abroad dissolving the marriage between Filipino citizens shall not be recognized in the Philippines.
But in cases of mixed marriages involving a Filipino citizen and a foreigner, a divorce decree obtained by the latter enabling him/her to remarry in accordance with their law shall be recognized in the Philippines and shall also make the Filipino citizen eligible to remarry. This is according to the 2nd paragraph of Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines, which states:
“ART. 26. xxx
Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law.”
The literal interpretation of the aforesaid provision of the law suggests that the parties to the marriage must only be between a Filipino and a foreigner. Following then this line of interpretation, it does not cover scenarios where the marriage is between Filipino citizens, but later on one of them became a citizen of another country and obtained a divorce decree. But to give life to the meaning, legislative intent and purpose of the law, the Supreme Court in the case of Republic of the Philippines vs. Cipriano Orbecido III (G.R. No. 154380, October 5, 2005) held:
“Thus, taking into consideration the legislative intent and applying the rule of reason, we hold that Paragraph 2 of Article 26 should be interpreted to include cases involving parties who, at the time of the celebration of the marriage were Filipino citizens, but later on, one of them becomes naturalized as a foreign citizen and obtains a divorce decree. The Filipino spouse should likewise be allowed to remarry as if the other party were a foreigner at the time of the solemnization of the marriage. To rule otherwise would be to sanction absurdity and injustice. Where the interpretation of a statute according to its exact and literal import would lead to mischievous results or contravene the clear purpose of the legislature, it should be construed according to its spirit and reason, disregarding as far as necessary the letter of the law. A statute may therefore be extended to cases not within the literal meaning of its terms, so long as they come within its spirit or
xxx
In view of the foregoing, we state the twin elements for the application of Paragraph 2 of Article 26 as follows:
1. There is a valid marriage that has been celebrated between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner; and
2. A valid divorce is obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry.
The reckoning point is not the citizenship of the parties at the time of the celebration of the marriage, but their citizenship at the time a valid divorce is obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating the latter to remarry.”
Based on the above decision of the Supreme Court, divorce dissolving marriages between Filipino citizens, where one of them subsequently became naturalized citizen of another country and a divorce decree was obtained by the latter, shall be recognized in the Philippines.
Again, we find it necessary to mention that this opinion is solely based on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. The opinion may vary when the facts are changed or elaborated.
We hope that we were able to enlighten you on the matter.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well from reading between the Lines and reading the posts I honestly don't know why some people are even thinking of getting Married.

looks and sounds to me as if some are just looking for a problem. Having just celebrated my Wedding Anniversary with some good friends all which are Responsible in their Marriages/Relationships. knowing your intended Partner as well as you can seems to be best (Well it was for me) and looking for the way forward and not as it seems to some, looking for the rot. To me, that is not the responsible way.

If you are looking for a Divorce before you Marry or at least a get out clause, you should not be getting married at all.

That's me though Folks.

Jack :)

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I would say that anyone having experiences like this should change who they associate with. These generalizations do not hold for the people in my life.

I'm not saying I've never met any, just saying that they are a minority and not allowed to stay in my life once identified.

I am offended for the general Filipino population by the generalization in these types of statements (example "... there are not many honest. ...") and extend my apology to my hosts here in the Philippines that may read this.

This is not an attempt to provoke anyone either. I just want the good side pointed out along with the bad. Be aware and be cautious as well as informed, but do not be paranoid.

Opinions are like butts. Everybody has one and everybody else's stinks. Thanks. [emoji12]

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Opinions are like butts. Everybody has one and everybody else's stinks.

copied to Jack's quote of the day  :hystery:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Some foreigners are also dishonest in that they set up meetings with a few with no intentions of a serious relationship. Then those Filipinas learn to play the game and get what they want for a short time. Then they sit around and talk.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Disagree, the statement is too broad and over generalizes. Not sure of you personal experience Alan, but I had a few bad experiences and plenty of good luck too.

It is a widely held view that the Filipina makes for an excellent wife. I admit it's a matter of finding the right one, but it worth a look.

And going back to the original poster. I moved around Manila and QC quite a bit, single. It was unusual for me to meet a woman who did not have a child. Many do have one child and given that and the social mores of this society, it is hard for them to find a suitable husband, Filipino.

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I would say that anyone having experiences like this should change who they associate with. These generalizations do not hold for the people in my life.

I'm not saying I've never met any, just saying that they are a minority and not allowed to stay in my life once identified.

I am offended for the general Filipino population by the generalization in these types of statements (example "... there are not many honest. ...") and extend my apology to my hosts here in the Philippines that may read this.

This is not an attempt to provoke anyone either. I just want the good side pointed out along with the bad. Be aware and be cautious as well as informed, but do not be paranoid.

Opinions are like butts. Everybody has one and everybody else's stinks. Thanks. [emoji12]

I posed this to my wife for her POV-She simply responded in so many words-if the lady senses a man's going to be shallow and the man is showing no potential for a commitment-well-he's playing-so she will play too-but these scenes are usually played out in bar type settings and for the most part folks with more noble intentions that don't hang in these places for shallow purposes will find most women just simply want a loving, faithful partner. If you are single either pick your poison or search in earnest for the "one". She's out there for sure.

• Like 4