Hyundai Rotem To Build Subway Line In Philippines

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

Somehow a tunnel in Metro Manila does not seem feasible to me?? Manila is already at sea level and very soft ground almost silt. Maybe an aerial train system would be better?

You mean like LRT Jon? Imelda Marcos started that ball rolling in the 80`s..They are still talking about the extension to Dasmarinas...Lots of talk..No action!! Lol.

In regards the tunnels though,they have been saying that Manila should brace itself for The big earthquake they say is due.. Last place I would want to be is in a sub way if that ever happened!

Edited by fred

Markham
Posted
Posted

Somehow a tunnel in Metro Manila does not seem feasible to me?? Manila is already at sea level and very soft ground almost silt. Maybe an aerial train system would be better?

Not forgetting the fact that a major seismic fault line runs through NCR ...

luke
Posted
Posted

A tunnel will turn into an underground sewer during a passing typhoon near/over Manila.  :rolleyes:

It will be the same as the existing 3 lines; elevated track & stations.

To accomplish the project is not the problem. To maintain the line is another thing.

MRT3 (along EDSA) is in a dilapidated state and waiting for another accident to happen like the one where the train became uncontrollable and crashed through barriers out on the street (Rotonda). LRT1 is saturated and new rolling stock is needed. 

Urban planning is something unknown here.

:cheersty:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I find it interesting that we can KNOW that the Japanese built a tunnel below sea level in Cebu that works fine

Cebu-Subway.jpg

But we cannot believe that the Koreans can accomplish similar in Manila.  Very interesting.  Personally, I think they can do it.  LA is always talking about The Big One too but they have a subway.

luke
Posted
Posted

MRT3 flooding:

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/94149/mrt-3-operations-halted-again---thanks-to-flooded-tracks

Ayala av. in Makati has a few underpasses; 

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=ayala+underpass+flooded&espv=2&biw=1465&bih=905&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjn-sD81dPKAhUC2hoKHd5KDgQQ_AUIBigB

Unless the local governments rethink urban development drastically, not a good idea to have long tunnels underground here.

It is also a lot cheaper and faster to build above the ground. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dave the new tunnel is indeed working well so far and I hope that continues. I don't want to be a "I Hate Philippines" but for the most part money is not wisely spent on maintenance. Maybe that is changing for the better now I hope so.