Nipa Huts

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any photos, or plans of large sized Nipa huts that they would like to share?

I will be building a "getaway" house and am looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Nipa huts or houses are one of my favorite subjects, having lived in one for over a month and seeing their good and bad points. As for plans, there are plenty on the internet. There are a lot of videos on youtube, don't confine yourself to just Philippines videos, there is more than you will want to watch from all over the world. I like a slab floor, some people will like theirs on pilings and with traditional split bamboo floor. It sure makes it easier to sweep the floor when everything can fall through the cracks. I found the quantity of bugs to be daunting at night because they were attracted to the light and nipa houses aren't usually bug tight. so television, computer or overhead light use would draw them. We would hang a bag under the light to catch them and feed them to the family chickens in the morning. After lights out, the outdoor lights would draw the bugs outside so they weren't too much of a problem, although we still slept under mosquito nets.

No plans but I do have two recommendations. make part of the house/ hut bug tight with screen wire. The other is have a lot of overhang as the more shade around the house will make it cooler. The one I lived in had about 2 meters of overhang but the roof came to about 5 ft. of the ground on the sides and was hazardous walking around the house. The overhang also makes it less likely rain will often directly hit the wall which may make the wall rot. I sleep really well under a tin roof when it rains although sometimes it can make it hard to hold a conversation. I have no experience with the nipa roof, quieter when it rains I'm sure but probably needs maintenance, although if well made I hear they can last quite well.

If I had running water I would use a wet wall design with one point for water with a CR in the corner with the other side of the wall being the kitchen and just outside the laundry area (under the large overhang).

I would definitely build my septic so it was easy to get a truck to for pumping out but that is just common sense.

To keep it simple I would just build it square, whatever size you want and divide the interior any way you want. Simple is good sometimes.

• Like 4

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Robert k,

Thanks for the tips. The bloke I have been talking with about the building of the Nipa has already suggested to go steel frame  and then go traditional on the external, with a slab floor. 

I like your idea of just a square, makes sense.

Thanks,

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Moved topic out of classified ads to correct forum  :)

post-1-0-21040500-1453963527_thumb.jpg

Nephi
Posted
Posted

I had and lived in a two bedroom nipa hut in Masbate province (Ticao Island) about 15 years ago. Wish I could find the photos of it to post here.
The bedrooms were raised on posts about 4 feet off the ground while the living room was next to it at ground level. 

I really enjoyed the years living in one and found that upkeep and repairs were few and quite inexpensive. Have a Look Here at some photos online for building ideas.

Regards

Nephi

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
The bloke I have been talking with about the building of the Nipa has already suggested to go steel frame  and then go traditional on the external, with a slab floor. 

As soon as I get the money est about 100 k including the labour, building one, which will be 8 x 5   meters plus the overhang, probably one metre. Definitely slab with tiles and probably bare cement on the side where we will park the car (we don't yet have the car, but it's planned) And a sort of outdoor tiling on the main portion. Cement and brick columns at the corners and sort of hardwood, they use tree trunks here, in between. Have seen such a structure with gardens on all sides, with openings to access same and I liked it. Gina already has a row of plants and orchids on one side.

We are going with the Labig. traditional Nipa roof. **In my opinion steel frame is an overkill for the roof which with proper care would have a life expectancy of 10-12 years. No need steel in that case, in 10-12 years you will renew the roof or maybe rethink and extend the house, as we might do onto the same area. 

**Using local hard wood treated with Solignum and used motor oil, plus a kind of tree trunk cut from near here, Gina gets them 50 pesos each. My tip is that motor oil permeates the wood and is anti termite if mixed with Solignum. Labig roof is supported with bamboo but hardwood main beams.

Edited by chris49

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Chris49,

The steel frame was a suggestion because we are only a few kilometres from the sea in a typhoon area.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Chris49,

The steel frame was a suggestion because we are only a few kilometres from the sea in a typhoon area.

Alam ko. I understand. With a corrugated tin roof as in Robert K's reply. I would argue that it's no longer a "Nipa Hut" by definition. It's a cement and steel building with bamboo walls. Here up north, houses are constructed similar to that.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I really enjoyed the years living in one and found that upkeep and repairs were few and quite inexpensive. Have a Look Here at some photos online for building ideas.

That is a strange link connected to  LMGTFY.  "Let Me Google That For You" . You are best just to use google image search and paste in the term ,"Photos Of Philippine Nipa Huts"

https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=955&q=Photos+Of+Philippine+Nipa+Huts&oq=Photos+Of+Philippine+Nipa+Huts&gs_l=img.12...103151.103151.0.104826.1.1.0.0.0.0.203.203.2-1.1.0....0...1ac.2.64.img..0.0.0.1bGo6mb0Msc

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Some pics of an 'attic style' nipa roofed bahay, build on hardwood framing. Concrete pilings and beams and then framed, with one side concrete blocked for CR and indoor kitchen... tiled within, etc.

Go to jigidi.com (picture puzzle site) and in the user box type in 'panayjim'.