Foreigners Begging...

bdog
Posted
Posted

two strokes it sounds u r a good guy with a big heart,its to bad what,a few losers can do to change your kindness,looks like u cant trust anyone no matter how long u know them there

f3dragonjedi
Posted
Posted

Hey Twostrokes, thanks for sharing your story. It's really too bad that some people are so willing to take advantage. I think you are being a bit too hard on yourself, none of the situations you described were really dumb. Expecting the son of a guy you work with to live up to a deal is pretty reasonable. And worse, was the Aussie really a friend? If so, what can you do? If you've been friends with a person for more than 6 years and they know the situation you are in and would still steal from you, that's just awful. It's not expecting too much to believe someone you've known for 6 years is going to be a stand up guy.Just keep being you, try not to let people like this get to you. You know what they have done will come back to them in some way.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been told by a number of long termers here the worst scammers/ con men are foreigners. It's the same in most big cities unfortunately, new poeple trying to set up afresh seem to trust a fellow expat more than the locals and use that advantage to their own ends. The stories I have heard are numerous.Don't trust anyone you meet by chance, it just ain't worth it and encourages them to find the next target even more.

Edited by johnrxx99

wallyperrier
Posted
Posted

i've had same experience in robinsons manilaforeigner also had story like this, asked me 2000i did not give something to him, i said, i will go with you to your embassy, but then he left me

• Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

For all who responded to my less than wonderful experiences with expats.... Yes, I do realize that all the situations were, or should have been ones I could trust. But, it proves the point that when it comes to money or material things, trust is hard to come by. Hell the first guy I had known since High School, The 2nd I had worked with his dad for about 3 years, and the last, the Aussie that got me, I really did consider a very good friend. I guess his desire to get out of the PI was stronger than his ethics. I did sound rather bitter in my post, and since it is my nature to trust people until they prove a reason to not trust them, I am sure that I will get burned again someday..Actually I have been stiffed a couple times here in the states since those incidents, so guess I am still a slow learner...Or, maybe I refuse to believe all people are assholes. But I do try to be a little more careful.What really burns me more than anything was the last guy. Hell I could have left the truck and bike with my wife's family and let them steal the money. At least it would have gone to family members..haha, which is exactly what would have happened I am sure.Live and Learn....(well sometimes learn).Jim

• 2 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

although this is an "old"posting a few months ago near Binan @ a 7/11 was a man in his late 40's heavy set ( slightly overweight) he gave a "sad" story that his wife or was it his gf had died , needed money for some formula., his eyes was clear/sober asked why he didnt go back to the usa. so at least he can enroll the child on "medicaid" but he seemed he just wanted to stay here,so i did give him about 150 which is enough to buy some "infant" formula. has any one else had any experiences recently.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't give 150 pesos for "infant" formula. My preference is to buy the formula and hand it over. Kuya Lee is correct. Give a beggar some food instead of cash.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
although this is an "old"postinga few months ago near Binan @ a 7/11 was a man in his late 40's heavy set ( slightly overweight) he gave a "sad" story that his wife or was it his gf had died , needed money for some formula., his eyes was clear/sober asked why he didnt go back to the usa. so at least he can enroll the child on "medicaid" but he seemed he just wanted to stay here,so i did give him about 150 which is enough to buy some "infant" formula. has any one else had any experiences recently.
well. it was 930pm i just got off the bus,the "drug" store nearby was already closed.this was my 1st time here in the RP after 12yrs that any one that was Non-native that had "asked "me for assistance, I dont think 7/11 has "formula".I did give him a number of 2 American Organizations here in the Philippines that does help "destitute" Americans,maybe this will help me too.

United Army
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have heard of this, a friend of mine who just moved here was approached by a man in SM mall here in Cebu asking for money, I think he asked him for 100 peso and gave a sad story to my friend. My friend being very new here gave him the money and was shocked that an American was asking for money.