Manila Expats Groups???

luke
Posted
Posted

I remember a few (other)  "forum" hangouts years ago. Don't know if still ongoing.

A popular place was Handle bar http://handlebar.com.ph/#

Or Heckle & Jeckle, just a few steps down. https://www.facebook.com/HjSportsBarAndRestaurantMakati/

There are always expats around in these places.

The area may be the-red-light-zone (Burgos street), it doesn't mean all establishments employ hookers.

No need to make a meeting arrangement here, just venture out and you might just bump into each other....

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
With all due respect. If it has been discussed before, how come its never gone any further than discussion? Is there just no interest, are people fearful of meeting others off a forum? Sure it can be a lot of work in coordinating a meet, but not impossible.   Honestly. Probably the best way to meet or communicate with other foreigners is via PM here and when ready to take it 1 step further then text message and so on. People have to have mutual interests outside of the English Language and the fact they live in Philippines.   I think I've said it before, I'm not interested in bars and KTV bars and the like. If people want to talk to me, i want to give them my undivided attention and having excessive noise can be very distracting.

This topic is sort of going in different directions. It started off as where are expats groups that meet up but now your idea is of personal one on one rather than a group which is fine but as it's been said, logistics is the problem for many,even one on one meetups but more so for groups as everyone has different lives, this time suits you but not the next guy, would have come but pay week's next week etc so getting the numbers for a group meet is hard.

We have had forum meets before in Cebu but all bar one was when I was there and to get a reasonable turn out still comes down to all of above.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
JerryNRea
Posted
Posted
On 2/16/2016 at 2:59 PM, rainart222 said:

Unfortunately I am along edsa. Crap. So many people and a lonely world. Hanging out with the girls is okay but sometimes I need to be around fluent English speakers too. The locals just don't get the jokes and topics I'm into. Drives me nuts.

You have expressed my feeling exactly   I need to be around other American Speaking people. I also need to be around others that understand our culture, to share jokes and news bits with .  I bought the movie, 'Forrest Gump' and watched it with Rea. I had to explain every scene to her. My soon to be step sons love watching Larry The Cable Guy but don't have a clue what he is saying. hahahahaha

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Forrest Gump, my all time favourite movie.  A big Tom Hanks fan.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
JerryNRea
Posted
Posted

I am in Marikina and prefer to not travel through this traffic to Makati. I met a lot of Expats here while shopping but no one knows of any formal groups that we can get together and exchange information. It would be great if we could have small, 'cell' groups that meet monthly, like at a mall for snacks and discuss various topics. An example would be a, ' Marikina Expats' group that would meet monthly at the SM Malls nearby and share information and plan activities. Same would be true for the 'Makati', 'Quezon City' , "Pasig' expats groups. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, JerryNRea said:

I am in Marikina

I live in Paranaque, I also see expats when we go shopping and none has mentioned any formal group. A lot are just visiting their wives relatives.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JerryNRea said:

met a lot of Expats here while shopping but no one knows of any formal groups that we can get together and exchange information. It would be great if we could have small, 'cell' groups that meet monthly, like at a mall for snacks and discuss various topics. An example would be a, ' Marikina Expats' group that would meet monthly at the SM Malls nearby and share information and plan activities.

Might sound silly but they can join the forum to exchange the same info. Getting people together at the same time is not an easy task. 

• Like 1

JerryNRea
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Might sound silly but they can join the forum to exchange the same info. Getting people together at the same time is not an easy task. 

Yes, this is a beginning, slow but sure.  I graduated from high school in Stavanger, Norway, in 1974. We were a community with-in a community and had support from other, 'foreigners'  living there.  It is not available here and I'd love for it to be. Thanks for this site, it helps a lot.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

I have been here 3.5 years and have spent 15 years in Asia, in general I really don't like the expat scene from a group perspective. Have met some good guys in bars such as Mulligans or howzat, the former I much prefer to the latter. didn't know a soul when i arrived here, but lucky to now have a great network.

Tried internations and had a very bad experience, occasionally go to Ancham and BCCP events.

One thing I can suggest is the Cheese Club, mixture of locals and expats, I was introduced to this fairly early into my time in Makati. As soon as I could I became a remember and thoroughly enjoy the monthly session at the Polo Club. Review on this site, link below:

https://expat.com.ph/cheese-anyone/

PM me if you want to know more or need an invite. 

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

I have been here 3.5 years and have spent 15 years in Asia, in general I really don't like the expat scene from a group perspective. Have met some good guys in bars such as Mulligans or howzat, the former I much prefer to the latter. didn't know a soul when i arrived here, but lucky to now have a great network.

Tried internations and had a very bad experience, occasionally go to Ancham and BCCP events.

One thing I can suggest is the Cheese Club, mixture of locals and expats, I was introduced to this fairly early into my time in Makati. As soon as I could I became a remember and thoroughly enjoy the monthly session at the Polo Club. Review on this site, link below:

https://expat.com.ph/cheese-anyone/

PM me if you want to know more or need an invite. 

Surprised they let Leeds fans in, haha just joking.

Looks good, too posh for me though:ohmy:

• Haha 1