Setting Up Stakes When Moving-Where Do You Recommend

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Chris,

No wonder you have 1300 plus posts, y0u put everything on twice haha!

Good assessment of Vigan, you forgot hotels 2/10 and expensive!

Brand is good there!  Don't forget your favourite Maccas!

We just stayed in Manila, Ron,  2 nights and allowed the full 24 hours, 900 each night, AC, Cable, hot water.  True, there's nothing like that available here, although my other guests did find a place, 3500 with 20% discount, that's plenty expensive. And it was moderate really.

The OP asked about Internet efficiency, the double post is my reply.

Maccas and barber shops are common indicators for comparison here on the forum. I still say Maccas coffee upsize with a free refill is a good as Starbucks. And recently they added the Mc Cafe machine, that's luxury up here.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Forgot to mention internet. Mine is exactly the same as Mike J's. You can get unlimited DSL if you are close to the national highway that goes around the island.

There is crime in Tagbilaran and down around Alona Beach, just not in my neighborhood. There were something like 17 murders in Tag during 2015, but most were drug-related. The newspapers speculate about a war between rival gangs but I wonder if the Mayor may be becoming Duterte Junior.

There is very little nightlife except at Alona Beach. The provincial government is striving to provide a family-friendly tourist experience.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Name of City/province_Carmen/ Catmon Cebu_ rate the following 1-10 (with comments if appl.) local sights8 general mood/outlook of foreigners by locals 9 local Expat community? proximity to malls/stores7 traffic10crime8 hospital5 local foods/restos9 comparable cost of living to the rest of the PhlOn par with Cebu City  level of poverty seen Littlecleanliness of the area 10 beaches 8 internet 9 other to add Clean air and good water supply 

First may I suggest that you keep well away from any family if you intend to settle!

We invested in building a quality home near the relies... all was good, they were terrific until the ever expanding number of hand outs become unbearable and impossible, then we become the villains!

Cheers

Hi Pete, thanks..actually my wife's parents are deceased and a lot of the family has scattered to different places in and out of the Philippines, along with the fact she had lived in Manila for years at a job as a personal assistant (far from her Digos City area of upbringing), so this leaves us wide open with our thoughts to different locations.

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is a good discussion, you have brought it down to a  'mathematical' equasion and I think that leaves out one of the most important

things when making a decision.  Does it 'fit' and how does it 'feel'.  My suggestion is sit down and do some research once you may have had some suggestions here.

I have been doing this now for many months and down to 2 locations which we will visit as soon as possible. to make a choice.

We did travel throughout Nth Luzon and found nothing really that fitted.  Maybe Laoag was very close, a nice town but just not quite there

for me.

Get busy in the research field, that will be your best feelings - it is  you that has to like it, not someone else.

So far as not being near family, that is sound thinking and I doubt your partner will miss that too much, you can always send her off now and again for a trip - probably work out much cheaper.

Point taken, Mogo...it's got to feel right and that's where the X factor comes in when deciding. You know my wife here in the US has built up quite a network of Fil/Am couples here and about 6 of them are seriously considering moving out to the Philippines at some point-some very soon-and they know others with plans to do the same-hense the purpose of this request. I talk to the husbands of these Filipinas who want to move there by phone now and then. One thing I told them was that I would try to get some research here on where to live-not from some flowery ads or isolated You Tube commentaries, etc-but real Expats that say it as it is and don't pull punches-and I thank you (so far about 10 responses from about 150 views)-no worry-I won't squat on your land if it sounds like a place for me-ha ha)-again..thank you all for the information so far-still hopeful on the infrequent folks from provinces and cities not mentioned...hopefully some folks from Palawan, Northern Mindanao, eastern Visayas, more from Northern Luzon, areas around Manila-I don't know-I just thought I'd give this a try-see who's out there-to get a good cross section.

Edited by Hey Steve

chris49
Posted
Posted

Right Steve.

If I had the money and I wanted a very comfortable lifestyle, I would live in a rented condo at Eastwood City. Which is a 42 acre planned development within Quezon City. It would be very similar to living in the USA at a lesser cost. Rents are around 30k and up for a deluxe 2 BR condo with parking. But if I lived there I would not need a car.

I tried similar for 5 years, as an owner of my own townhouse and I thought it was a good lifestyle. Things have changed and I can't do that now, but it would be a good option if you had the money.

• Like 3