The Truth About Naga City, Bicol, Camarines Sur

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Woo Hoo...

The last one to Naga City gets to live with Jake in the reactor room!

Hope you have a lot of spare rooms Ron!

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Woo Hoo...

Hey Earthdome,

You being a nuclear engineer yourself on board a missile submarine with nuclear propulsion, I think your bayag glows more than mine does....he, he.

As far as Master Chief Ron is concern, his deceptive tactics was very successful.  He had me by the balls and now I'm googling all about Naga City in Bicol province.  Well done Ron!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
now I'm googling all about Naga City in Bicol province.  Well done Ron!

That is true.  Well done Ron.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Woo Hoo...

Hey Earthdome,

You being a nuclear engineer yourself on board a missile submarine with nuclear propulsion, I think your bayag glows more than mine does....he, he.

As far as Master Chief Ron is concern, his deceptive tactics was very successful.  He had me by the balls and now I'm googling all about Naga City in Bicol province.  Well done Ron!

All ahead Flank!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Hey, that just makes it easier for the ladies to find them when it is dark.

• Like 1

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

Whoa now! Hold the stampede fellas! It's not all chocolate and roses here in Naga City. For one thing. Although I haven't experienced it myself. I'm told that for the 19 DAYS of the Penafrancia celebration in Sep, the population of this sleepy little hamlet nearly DOUBLES! Nothing like having 200k of your closest buddies over for a 3 week party. Also, one of the comments in my previous post was absolutely true. The price of land here is high by my experience in other parts of the Philippines. The current asking price in town is 8 to 10k pesos per sqm and 6 to 8k per sqm in the surrounding developments and barangays. Rent is OK I suppose. I'm currently paying 10k a month for a very nice 3 bedroom house in a quiet neighborhood. But I got lucky. As I was looking around, 12 to 15k a month was more the norm and was as high as 30 to 35k in some of the more exclusive subdivisions. Also some of the newer subdivisions going up are some distance from town and jeepney service to and from can be sporadic and expensive on a day to day basis. So my "10 min to anywhere" comment does not apply there. Having your own transportation would be advisable if considering one of those communities. Another thing, some of the lower lying areas in and around town can be prone to significant flooding. So it still pays to do your homework. And as always, NOTHING beats boots on the ground experience. My cup of tea may not be yours.

Ron

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Whoa now! Hold the stampede fellas! It's not all chocolate and roses here in Naga City. For one thing. Although I haven't experienced it myself. I'm told that for the 19 DAYS of the Penafrancia celebration in Sep, the population of this sleepy little hamlet nearly DOUBLES! Nothing like having 200k of your closest buddies over for a 3 week party. Also, one of the comments in my previous post was absolutely true. The price of land here is high by my experience in other parts of the Philippines. The current asking price in town is 8 to 10k pesos per sqm and 6 to 8k per sqm in the surrounding developments and barangays. Rent is OK I suppose. I'm currently paying 10k a month for a very nice 3 bedroom house in a quiet neighborhood. But I got lucky. As I was looking around, 12 to 15k a month was more the norm and was as high as 30 to 35k in some of the more exclusive subdivisions. Also some of the newer subdivisions going up are some distance from town and jeepney service to and from can be sporadic and expensive on a day to day basis. So my "10 min to anywhere" comment does not apply there. Having your own transportation would be advisable if considering one of those communities. Another thing, some of the lower lying areas in and around town can be prone to significant flooding. So it still pays to do your homework. And as always, NOTHING beats boots on the ground experience. My cup of tea may not be yours.

Ron

Holy Moly !.......The land prices there are almost beyond my belief.  Aren't you on the Primary Typhoon landfall track?

And here I thought that the asking list prices of the top local subdivisions in our provincial capital were insane at P4K and P5K/sq.m., being 0.5km from the city plaza/malls and the other... on the coastline road w/ resorts and beaches nearby. Outside the subs its now up to P2K/sq.m. 

It sure isn't the locals driving up the land prices.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Ron, I noticed some of what you are talking about in the "The Brit in the Philippines" video at an outlying subdivision of row houses. When I mentioned it in the comments I was Poo Poo'd. The places were mostly empty (I wonder why) and I stated there was not enough there to draw tricycles, you would have to catch one bringing someone back from town. Probably 2km walk to the road where you could wait for a jeepney. The row houses were small, not screened jalousie windows, no shade, no off street parking, no nearby sari store, no street lighting that I noticed. I questioned whether there was good internet and was told it was great. :unsure:  I said that for a cheap place it might be ok temporarily but I would not pay 4k a month to live there as I would rather live in a nipa house. I think those places were somewhat primitive by western standard, flush the toilet with a bucket primitive, which is not bad to me, it cuts down on moving parts and maintenance but a lot of people wouldn't like it. It was never stated how much the places go for but I believe it would probably be in the 6-7k range as any more would be the entire house payment of the landlord as to buy the houses for a National would be 600k to 800k cash. It didn't have a nice view but it looked like a nice view within a Km walk. I would bear in mind that the guy making the videos lives there and has taken it upon himself to promote the area. I watch anyone's videos with an eye towards what is in the background.

I still like the area and I will check it out next time. I want to try Biggs Tower Burger! :thumbsup:

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

Ron

Holy Moly !.......The land prices there are almost beyond my belief.  Aren't you on the Primary Typhoon landfall track?

And here I thought that the asking list prices of the top local subdivisions in our provincial capital were insane at P4K and P5K/sq.m., being 0.5km from the city plaza/malls and the other... on the coastline road w/ resorts and beaches nearby. Outside the subs its now up to P2K/sq.m. 

It sure isn't the locals driving up the land prices.

My understanding is that there are 2 major land owners here within the city. And they are at odds with each other. Going so far as to buy up property at exorbitant prices surrounding the others just to deny access. Couple that with a lot of development in the area and there you go. The high cost here has since spilled over into the surrounding communities. If you get outside of town and the surrounding developments (45 min or so) the prices get significantly lower. I have my eye on a 575 sqm beachfront property on San Miguel Bay going for 125k. That's only about 200p a sqm. But they only have a deed of sale. No title. So I'm very leery. It's within the ancestral village of my wife's mom and more than half the people living there are relatives. The ones that I know and have talked to tell me yes they are the people who own that property. But I'm still cautious. Currently trying to research it with the local authorities.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. I have my eye on a 575 sqm beachfront property on San Miguel Bay going for 125k.

That sounds too good to be true.  Its either a good risk, if you can afford to lose it, or a mountain of problems.  Otherwise it would be an easy sell at many times that amount.  Such is my opinion, having never seen a deal that good anywhere in Philippines.

• Like 1