Another Thread About Living Costs

obda
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

I've read through several of the living costs threads, including the how cheap can you live in Phills.

Currently I spend about US$3k (all taxes included) and I have a fairly decent life.

So let's say I live in a one bedroom condo in Cebu, or a small house in a gated community near Cebu, would US$2k (Php 90k) give me a spectacular life? I know some will want to say, "no, US$10k will give you a spectacular life," and this is not my intent. It just seems as most people posting spend around US$1k, and my question is whether doubling that really adds value?

I realize there are a lot of variables that I don't speak to, like how often will you eat out, drink beer or other kinds of entertainment. I am not married to a pinay, and it is unlikely I will. I will likely do the 10k retirement visa as visa runs seem horribly inconvenient.

Any insight is most appreciated.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I realize there are a lot of variables

Obda, the above is an understatement. Like Jack says topics like this go round and round. (but boy are they fun :thumbsup: )

Let me make an example, just internet usage can vary widely. If all a person does is check email you can get connected for about 10USD a month, if your a gamer or need really fast internet it will run about 75 bucks a month.

Food is another variable. Food is pretty cheap here, if a person eats like a local, but if you are a Doritos addict its gonna cost about 3 bucks a bag. If a guys a milk drinker (like a lot of us yanks are) it is going to set you back about 2 bucks a liter. Like a lot of things in life, quantity is usually inexpensive, but if a guy needs quality, he is going to pay for it.

What I did on one of my visits before we made the final decision to move here, was to make a list of the things I absolutely could not live with out. Then walked up and down the supermarket aisles checking on availability and cost.

So with out specifics all we can do is give you a general idea based on our own needs and desires. :cheersty:

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
So let's say I live in a one bedroom condo in Cebu, or a small house in a gated community near Cebu,

That is such a personal decision and the prices are so scattered as to make a budget impossible until you decide your choice of living arrangements.  For example, you may find a small house for rent in a gated community in Consolacion. Cebu for as little as 15K a month (maybe less if you are very lucky) or you can rent a studio condo suite atop the Quest Hotel for 60,000K a month.  Then there are many choices in between.

Edit:  Although a a studio condo suite makes it sound fancy, it is really just a hotel room  :hystery:  that they call a condo.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

You need to give us a little more than that. What does your current accommodation look like and will you want something of similar quality/size? If yes, very expensive in Cebu, I can almost guarantee you will pay more than in the US. Similar size/quality in the condo market they are already at European prices. Now if you don't mind a simpler quality a bit outside downtown prices suddenly go down a lot of course... so again, we need to know what standards you are used to.

The same goes for food, imported food stuff is expensive, quality foreign restaurants aren't too cheap. But go local eat a healthy, vegetable heavy diet and you will hardly spend anything at all. 

But if you want to replicate your US life in the Philippines you will need at least the same budget. If you can adjust to life in the Philippines you can potentially live much cheaper. 

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well said all, as we know this topic has been discussed many times.  It is the same here in Thailand.  If you eat like back in your country home country.

But unless he is excessive 90k pesos a month would be a nice life style from what I have seen of Phils.

Edited by mogo51

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

IMHO your income is adequate... unless you do foolish things or are become self-destructive.

If you steer clear of the Cardinal Sins, Honey Traps and aren't naive or gullible, you'll have to work at spending your income here if you wish to lead a simpler lifestyle. 

As for the visa merry-go-round...... live near a Bureau of Immigration, or in a secondary city with a reputable travel agency that will run the errand for you. I pay about P1K for their visa renewal services, deposit the visa fees and service charge directly into their bank account, and pick up my validated passport when I leave every 6 months. 6-8 years and no problems yet.

God, I hope none of this so-called 'advice' comes back to haunt me. Heh-heh.

Good luck, mate.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Set yourself a target, and try to stick to it, but make sure you have a back up plan too,

Remember you are trying a new life so try new things too like forget the regular food that you have always had , it could work out cheaper and better for you,

We are all different but as some have said before , finding that right person to share you life and your budget with could even save you more of that precious cash ,

Good luck ,

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
So let's say I live in a one bedroom condo in Cebu, or a small house in a gated community near Cebu, would US$2k (Php 90k) give me a spectacular life?

No it would not.

I lived in QC, Quezon City, I had my own house and paid no rent. During that 5 years I was either dating girls or supporting a high maintenance partner. I played golf and belonged to an up market gym. I did not go out much at night, only occasionally. I ate out a lot and usually paid for 2. I did run a car at that time.

My personal spending was about 3000 pesos a day. And that's not including a lot of other things I had to cover.

• Like 2