Poverty In The Philippines (How Does It Affect Us?)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Even the call center jobs are better than nothing (and I think better than OFW)

What is the pay at the call centers? Minimum wage for a domestic helper in Hong Kong is about p26,000/mo plus room and board. Mine has been at it a while and is closer to p43,000/mo. Then there are often Christmas, annual, and Chinese New Year bonuses.

I do not mean the pay is better for call center jobs - I mean the job is better for the Philippines.  Having families together is, to me, more important than the pay.  A generation of parents raising their own kids, and working locally, has got to be an improvement. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It does not matter how much they pay for skilled workers in Philippines.  The smart ones will always move to where the money is better.  I know that because we used to have a 'brain drain' in Canada.  Its a great place with great people and great jobs but there was a time when people like nurses could get much better salaries in the US and so that is where the best ones went.  Due to the low value of the Canadian dollar it would surprise me if that was not happening right now.

I can't imaging the smart people in Philippines doing any different.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I see a couple offices here in Iloilo recruiting workers to Canada. My sister in law is a nurse, from Canada.  As soon as she got out of school she went to the US to be a nurse - better pay.  Probably happens everywhere. (This was  along time ago, as she just retired last year, and finally got her citizenship)

chris49
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I see a couple offices here in Iloilo recruiting workers to Canada. My sister in law is a nurse, from Canada.  As soon as she got out of school she went to the US to be a nurse - better pay.  Probably happens everywhere. (This was  along time ago, as she just retired last year, and finally got her citizenship)

As it was then. They are currently asking 3 years experience preferably in a tertiary care hospital with a specialty area. Before processing any application for immigration.

There's about a 2 year waiting list at St Lukes and the OJT is without pay.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah... that no pay bit makes no sense to me... but I have heard it elsewhere too. 

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Yeah... that no pay bit makes no sense to me... but I have heard it elsewhere too. 

I have heard this so many times about un-recompensed (unpaid apprentice) type situations here in education. Could someone please enlighten us re some actual case histories and situations. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Could someone please enlighten us re some actual case histories and situations.

Sure. Have two nieces (now nurses in the states) who graduated from nursing school here in the Phil. Naturally no jobs (and god forbid a city girl actually move to the province, away from family and friends, where they are screaming for nurses). They worked for about a year as unpaid volunteers, padding their resumes. Until they could get work visas in the states.  As a side note, both graduated with honors here, but only were eligible to work as nursing assistance in convalescent hospitals in the states. Until they either took some more classes to meet USA requirements.

that no pay bit makes no sense to me

It make sense Tim if we look at it like an intern program of sorts. Getting work experience until an opening of some sorts comes along,,,if ever.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have heard this so many times about un-recompensed (unpaid apprentice) type situations here in education. Could someone please enlighten us re some actual case histories and situations. 

Yes! my nephew is a registered Nurse here but he needs 2 years OJT Volutary work (On the job Training to Qualify for a paid Position) IF he could find one. It is a requirement. It is a common Bad thing but it is the way Things work, Another nephew was 20 Hours per week OJT for two years before he was taken on as a casual for 3 years before he Got a contractual job.  Jolibee. Mc'Dos all do it. even SM do it and they have to Pay for the Uniforms. It is Crap But then..........................  :1 (103):

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 years OJT Volutary work

There is a certain crab mentality at work here.  The current and senior personnel all think that they had to put in 2 years OJT with no money so it would not be 'fair' if the next generation got paid to do it.  It might cut into their own paycheques.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I do have case histories and anecdotes from my days on the golf course. A good friend told me about his daughter (who is now in USA), waiting a year at St Lukes for an interview, there's a waiting list for that also. And this guy, an engineer working on regional airport renovations, was asked for a 50k peso donation to advance his daughter's application. Even then she waited a 2nd year to get the appointment and her nursing board exam score had to be top 20% he said. she was 20 and it took 5 years, but her visa application via an agency could be processed on that. Her husband was also a nurse so they both went, so it was judged to be well worth it.

The donation thingy was complained about and as I read in the newspaper it is unlawfull for hospitals to do that. But the practice does continue here in the province with a 5-10 k donation and 6 months OJT with appointment after that.

Call Centers don't do that. There is a big demand for college graduate fluent English speaker, so if selected, even with 2 years of college, the appointment is 3 months probationary with pay, before full appointment. I had an earlier gf go through that, and when I belonged to a gym a lot of workers would come to the gym after night shift, so I got to know about it.

You said in education? Different scenario, here in the province. Internship, student teaching is without pay. However appointment in a barangay level school close to candidate's home town is common enough. That is entry level with pay, and the only question mark is where they might be appointed. Within the same province is a given.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2