Poverty In Indonesia

mogo51
Posted
Posted

On the back of a previous post about poverty in Philippines   I watched a report on poverty in Indonesia with a

different slant this morning.

It was about Indonesian poor selling their kidneys for money for their families existence.  In a small village

7 young men had sold their kidneys to raise money for their family.

Then an interesting side twist at the end when they interviewed one young donor who related that he sold his kidney and  purchased a TV, X box, mobile phone with the money - they were then stolen a few days later?

I don''t understand the mind think there, but have never been put in his position, so will not be critical..

What a sad state this world is spinning into.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

On the back of a previous post about poverty in Philippines   I watched a report on poverty in Indonesia with a

It was about Indonesian poor selling their kidneys for money for their families existence.  In a small village

Then an interesting side twist at the end when they interviewed one young donor who related that he sold his kidney and  purchased a TV, X box, mobile phone with the money - they were then stolen a few days later?

I don''t understand the mind think there, but have never been put in his position, so will not be critical..

Poverty is everywhere even in Developed Countries, as I asked in the opening of the other Topic "Does it really Affect us"? The Guilt does, to many, (certainly me at times) as it shows that it does for many but and Don't you just love those but's ( or hate as you wish) After 50 at work and then some Health problems I have come to the conclusion that in a lot of Quotes from all over, there has to be a little truth, in even the negative ones.

So I am going to go with this one. post-2148-0-50926600-1455762714_thumb.jp As there is nothing else any of us here can do.

Just a Little Edit to correct something :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
It was about Indonesian poor selling their kidneys for money for their families existence.

There have been stories around for decades about people selling body parts or getting body parts stolen for transplant.  I do not deny that it probably exists but must of the stories are fake, seeking attention or compensation in some way.  When I researched the stories in the past it became obvious that organ transplants are complicated medical procedures and no licensed doctor or hospital is going to use an illegitimate organ.

Thus I would surely look 3 or 4 times at the source of the story in the opening post and then check to see if Indonesian law allows the selling of body organs from a live donor.  Can you give us a link to it?

Here is one of the myth type stories I refer to:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/robbery/kidney.asp

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

Not sure this day, but way back in 2008 kidney selling is also rampant here in the Philippines. commonly in slum places and prisons. in fact PI is one of the top seller. as of today kidney transplant is banned for foreigners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/world/asia/30phils.html?_r=0

jai_ren
Posted
Posted

Indonesia overtook the Philippines n GDP per capita about five years ago.

Malaysia, and Thailand, both of which were poorer than the Philippines 50 years ago, left them for dead decades ago.

Vietnam is next. They are set to overtake the Philippines like Indonesia did 5 years ago in the next couple of years.

once Vietnam pulls away, this will leave the Philippines in the company of such SEAsian nations, as Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Timor-Leste. In fact I wouldn't be surprised in another 50 years, by say 2060, if the Philippines is at the bottom of whole SEAsian heap, instead of at the top, like they were a hundred years before in 1960.

Ynot
Posted
Posted

It is a sad state of affairs when people sell their body parts to make money, but as most people have said, poverty is not restricted to Indonesia, we have poverty here in Perth.  Although there is a social security system where the unemployed and the aged are provided with an unemployment / aged pension benefit on a fortnightly basis.  Many countries do not do that nor can they afford it.  Australia is fast approaching that point where it will not be able to provide a pension to all.  But getting back to the point of poverty, the payment made to the unemployed has not been increased for near on 20 years, so if you are single and unemployed you would find it difficult to get by, but you would be better off than someone in the Philippines or Indonesia in the same predicament.  I've noticed recently that there appear to be more street people in Perth, people sleeping out in the streets even though we there is an unemployment benefit available.  the street people beg for money, and it has been suggested they probably do not collect the unemployment benefits as to collect the payment you need to abide by certain criteria (applying for jobs, being interviewed by Centelink who administer the unemployment benefits etc) so the street people choose to live on the streets to eek out a living.  You dont need to go to Indonesia to see poverty, just look around your own area, I'm sure you will see poverty there.   Associated with this, I gave a street person $5 recently and said it was for food not for booze, he accepted it but then gave it back to me.  At least he had principles / morals that he lived which is good to see, even in his dire situation.

• Like 1