Expensive Internet At Sipalay Negor Resorts

RBM
Posted
Posted

If this is in the wrong topic please mods move it.

We are just back from an extended motor cycle tour of south and central Negros.

During the trip spent a few days on Sugar beach Sipilay, nice spot. Was totally shocked at the charges by resorts for Internet usage. The cheapest we could find was P100 per hour, and only if we spent money on food and drinks....Most were P200.

They explained the cost of the provider was extremely expensive, find this hard to believe as thought Globe...Smart have fixed plan charges.

Even heard complaints from guests being charged when they were staying in their respective resorts....

Our small resort did not charge how ever unless one was up at 5am it was useless. 

We shall now investigate buying one of these little mobile Wi Modems.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
They explained the cost of the provider was extremely expensive, find this hard to believe as thought Globe...Smart have fixed plan charges.

Likely it just a way to get a few more pesos from you. Some resorts charge entrance fee, parking fee, cabana fee, table fee, pool fee, etc. I am surprised that there is no exit fee and clean up fee.

• Like 5

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

If this is in the wrong topic please mods move it.

We are just back from an extended motor cycle tour of south and central Negros.

During the trip spent a few days on Sugar beach Sipilay, nice spot. Was totally shocked at the charges by resorts for Internet usage. The cheapest we could find was P100 per hour, and only if we spent money on food and drinks....Most were P200.

Even heard complaints from guests being charged when they were staying in their respective resorts....

Our small resort did not charge how ever unless one was up at 5am it was useless. 

We shall now investigate buying one of these little mobile Wi Modems.

Reminds me of Puerto Galera, c.2003. Only one real cybercafe down by the Palangke.... P100/hr.  A few years later there were several near the muelle (landing dock) and other places and the prices dropped to P25.  When they got you by the gajones... they squeeze them, good opportunists that they are.

At resorts W. of IloIlo several years ago, I used  smart and globe sticks, but they were either slow or useless most of the time.

Two weeks ago I was at a 'really nice place' past Guimbal and Miagao (aforementioned resorts) in San Joaquin to give my wife her long overdue vacation. She insisted I take a tablet, since the advertised free Wi-Fi. First two days I didn't bother, although the desk lady confirmed that they had Wi-Fi here at the restaurant/business office area. Last day there my wife insisted that I take the tablet to dinner, which I did. I didn't bother to open it, but as we were about to leave, buying some of their local produced specialty of cacao sugar (low glycemic index), and were chatting with the late hour desk lady, she mentioned that they hadn't had WI-Fi availability for the last two weeks due to 'technical problems". Go figure. 

Gas
Posted
Posted

Not always the case, especially if you live in a area with poor internet signals.  The only plan available to us is Globe Tatoo@Home which has a monthly data allowance. Once you are over it starts get very expensive.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not always the case, especially if you live in a area with poor internet signals.  The only plan available to us is Globe Tatoo@Home which has a monthly data allowance. Once you are over it starts get very expensive.

I found it was cheaper to pay as you go, put regular load on my phone which was my modem. With the Supersurf 50 php plan I could only get 600-800MB before I was throttled. For 50php regular load and pay as you go data I once downloaded 6GB of data in 2.5 hours. I think they don't throttle the pay as you go because you could shut it off any time you felt like it and they would stop making money. That amount of data on my cheap phone plan in the US would have cost me $60 for the data alone. Where I was living I was lucky to get 100 Kb/s most days. I could drive to better signal with my laptop if I had something data intensive to do. Plans could be better if you need a constant supply of data like checking FB, twitter, Friendster or e-mail but I only needed internet 3-4 times a day to check e-mails and kept data turned off otherwise.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted

I found it was cheaper to pay as you go, put regular load on my phone which was my modem. With the Supersurf 50 php plan I could only get 600-800MB before I was throttled. For 50php regular load and pay as you go data I once downloaded 6GB of data in 2.5 hours. I think they don't throttle the pay as you go because you could shut it off any time you felt like it and they would stop making money. That amount of data on my cheap phone plan in the US would have cost me $60 for the data alone. Where I was living I was lucky to get 100 Kb/s most days. I could drive to better signal with my laptop if I had something data intensive to do. Plans could be better if you need a constant supply of data like checking FB, twitter, Friendster or e-mail but I only needed internet 3-4 times a day to check e-mails and kept data turned off otherwise.

Until last year we had the dongle thingy and supersurf. Even with a 30ft aerial on our rooftop, we could only open web pages on certain days. The globe tatoo@home now allows us to have wifi in the houses, however if the kids are home from Uni, i remind them not to download to often,  

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey RBM .... it would be nice if you could do a trip report or perhaps some of the better places you stayed at ..... J and I are looking to spend a day or two away from home now that the weather is better and before school gets out .... we travel around mostly during the week days .... thanks in advance .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hey RBM .... it would be nice if you could do a trip report or perhaps some of the better places you stayed at ..... J and I are looking to spend a day or two away from home now that the weather is better and before school gets out .... we travel around mostly during the week days .... thanks in advance .... :thumbsup:

Hi Mike and thanks, I kinda reframed from this as seems not a lot of interest out there. That is judging from the small interest generated from previous reports.

Later will put together the recently completed report, some times we use the car but prefer to stick to our Tenere, roads traveled are most all OK for a car.

Generally stay pensions around P1000 a night, away from Kareoke if possible and we just love trying different foods.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
judging from the small interest generated from previous reports.

If you go to your 'content' page on your profile and view your topics, you will see that the number of views to each topic you write has hundreds of views.  Over time, many of your topics get over a thousand views.  So don't get discouraged that there is small interest just because people have nothing to add to your thread.  :cheersty:   Keep up the good posting  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike and thanks, I kinda reframed from this as seems not a lot of interest out there. That is judging from the small interest generated from previous reports.

Later will put together the recently completed report, some times we use the car but prefer to stick to our Tenere, roads traveled are most all OK for a car.

Generally stay pensions around P1000 a night, away from Kareoke if possible and we just love trying different foods.

I agree with Dave RBM .... add to that that there are not a whole lot of people living on Negros here on this board .... so I don't suppose they could add anything to your reports ..... just a thought .... :tiphat: