Expats Living In Philippines Having Second Thoughts......

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Living in the Philippines on a very tight budget with late night drunken karaoke, barking Roosters and any number of curious challenges?

has it all become too much. Wanna just quit? What would you do? Even if you have a "backup plan" can you truly go back? 

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Even if you have a "backup plan" can you truly go back?

I see two choices, 1, move to another part of the island or Philippines

2, return to native Country

Although moving back "Home" might well mean to a lower standard than when you left.......just my two cents.                    

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes, moving back to one's country of origin is an option but after living in da Philippines could you ever be happy there again or is it your darned if you do darned if you don't? Being married to a Filipina or not, money and age are big players in this as well.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm coming back, but in the US right now. I'm not coming back to where I was before though. Being unmarried I didn't have that much in personal posessions, small appliances, furniture, a washing machine and a jeep. Total value about $3k. I just gave it all away. I even paid for a power of attorney because the person I gave the jeep to could sell it for a lot more with good paperwork than if I just left it with them and this allowed me to use the jeep up until a few hours before I left which I may not have been able to do if I sold it. I really miss my view out my front door and after I show people the pictures they ask why I came back. I had acclimatized to the Philippines and I froze my rear off even living in the state of Texas last winter and we had a mild winter. Not looking forward to acclimatizing again when I get back but I will do it.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not there yet, but as John says , move to another part of that vast country, thats one very good reason to rent rather then to buy,

Moving back to the country where you was born is all well and good if you still have a home there

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

Not there yet, but as John says , move to another part of that vast country, thats one very good reason to rent rather then to buy,

Moving back to the country where you was born is all well and good if you still have a home there

Or family who recognize that it is a net gain putting you up for however long.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I cannot truly answer this question,...yet.  Not relocating there until the end of April.  But I think a lot has to do with the persons mind set/attitude.  Like many other things, if you are not happy where you are now, you most likely may not be happy where you move.  Conditions and reasons can change and adaption is always necessary.  Depends on how well you can adapt whether in your new location or returning to your old. jmho

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

We (wife and I and stepson) will be moving to the states eventually. I still have a home there. 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I have adapted, (adjusted) to life here in the PI. However, I still miss my sons and grand children. I miss my relatives and long time friends also. I miss life in California. 

I will not miss the Philippines once we leave but we will probably return from time to time to visit. 

• Like 1