Expats Living In Philippines Having Second Thoughts......

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Shes the one that hardly eats any (except for french fries). Filipinos and me have a different understanding of vegetables. I dont consider tree leaves vegetables like they do :D.

Yeah, I call those "yard clippings" ha ha.  I eat them but they hardly count as a vegetable.   ...well except for the time we had squash growing in the tree... it was a vine growing from the ground into the tree.    :tiphat:

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I have had a " yard clipping " called Alugbati...bit like spinach. Goes well with the old favourite of pork, mung beans and squash. Goes well in my Indian mutton curry as well. 

Saluyot is the one I can't abide...that slimy texture is gross!

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

While here in NZ am freezing my butt off. This alone is one reason to return and enjoy the climate. Sure the current heat is not for everyone how ever for me it sure beats the cold.

The politically correct mentality that prevails here makes me squirm.  Seems one cannot do anything before ensuring no harm will come from it.

As for expenses, well for the cost of a couple here to dine out without drinks in a mid class restaurant one could find similar in say in Bacolod for 1/4 the cost. Further no pressure on one like here.

Many more pluses for me in Philippines, to many to go into. 

• Like 3

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

Life is made up of endless small compromises. To many the home turf is their set 100 on the index and any other place adds or removes from it.

Strangely, that index 100 stay frozen trough the years, and when we foe one reason or another return to home turf, we realise nothing, absolutely nothing, is as before. The index 100 has turned into a memory of a past life.

My point is, most of us understand that this will happen, even if we word it differently. The place back where we left from will evolve, as will we. This is scary, and probably a big reason for why the second thought occurs. We are unaccustomed to the new place while we worry that our old place will be gone before we can return.

If we fight this urge of running back to base, we will later find we have grown as persons, and we become able in taking changes in a more relaxed way.

I am on my 27:th year away from home turf, no returning back any longer :)

• Like 5

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Yeah, I call those "yard clippings" ha ha.  I eat them but they hardly count as a vegetable.   ...well except for the time we had squash growing in the tree... it was a vine growing from the ground into the tree.    :tiphat:

They say its healthy. I dont see how it can be healthy when it grows 10meters from the road that has a 5+ jeepnys drive by per minute during the day. Oh well :D.

• Like 1

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, RBM said:

While here in NZ am freezing my butt off. This alone is one reason to return and enjoy the climate. Sure the current heat is not for everyone how ever for me it sure beats the cold.

The politically correct mentality that prevails here makes me squirm.  Seems one cannot do anything before ensuring no harm will come from it.

As for expenses, well for the cost of a couple here to dine out without drinks in a mid class restaurant one could find similar in say in Bacolod for 1/4 the cost. Further no pressure on one like here.

Many more pluses for me in Philippines, to many to go into. 

Its warmer in NZ this year for May than for many years, wait till we get a cold snap, then you will be crying.  While in Gisborne 3 nights ago i had to put the aircon on in the Hotel i was staying. 

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kiwi-Alan said:

Its warmer in NZ this year for May than for many years, wait till we get a cold snap, then you will be crying.  While in Gisborne 3 nights ago i had to put the aircon on in the Hotel i was staying. 

Winter isnt that bad in NZ, most of the country doesn't even hit -10. Christchurch in the winter was a constant -1 to -3 in the night and +10 during the day when i was there a few years ago (and its in the middle of south island). Try northern european -30 in the night and still -15 to -20 winter days :D. 

Give me -20 anyday over this 35+ humid temp. You can allways add clothing, but theres a limit on how much you can take it off. For some reason i turn into a night beast here.. Been going to sleep 11am and wake up at 8pm for the past few days.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Winter isnt that bad in NZ, most of the country doesn't even hit -10. Christchurch in the winter was a constant -1 to -3 in the night and +10 during the day when i was there a few years ago (and its in the middle of south island). Try northern european -30 in the night and still -15 to -20 winter days :D. 

Give me -20 anyday over this 35+ humid temp. You can allways add clothing, but theres a limit on how much you can take it off. For some reason i turn into a night beast here.. Been going to sleep 11am and wake up at 8pm for the past few days.

Yes this is true how ever one must factor in wind chill. I spend several years in Germany and really did not have to many problems in winter. NZ or rather Christchurch receives bitterly cold southerlies and Easterlies which go right through one. As an example presently can sit in the sun during the day in a sheltered spot and enjoy in a T shirt. One step into the wind and its an another world.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2016 at 8:48 AM, Sander Martin said:

Shes the one that hardly eats any (except for french fries). Filipinos and me have a different understanding of vegetables. I dont consider tree leaves vegetables like they do :D.

Ok Now I have got it.

• Like 1