Expats Living In Philippines Having Second Thoughts......

RBM
Posted
Posted

Interesting, but very concerning thread...  so do you think you will have the same noise problem if you lived in a high rise condo? or a gated community?

I have found noise seems to travel up.

In Cebu I lived up high in a condo unit, a neighbors dog in a private house almost drove me crazy, non stop. Could only sleep with all windows shut and the noise of the air con blocking the barking.

Also a friend living top floor Citi Lights Condos in Luhug, says the dogs and squatters noise makes regret buying the u it every single day, so high rise is not the answer....

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

This really has made my mind up to rent and never buy, the funny thing is when I have slept over at the family house in marikina I hear no dogs or cocks

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

They just know that complaining won't help.

Tim, you are so right, one of the most frustrating things here is the sense of fatalism. "that's the way it is, so why try and change it?"

Before we build a house we did not live in a gated subdivision, and whenever people got too loud I went over there and asked them to turn it down. For some reason they mostlly did that and the neighbourhood actually got quieter. Other neighbours didn't say anything because that's how this society works. You are not allowed to confront people here, but living with their bullsh&t is actually a lot worse in my mind so I tried and it worked. You have to at least try... You got nothing to loose...

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

When I'm at Chow King I sometimes have thoughts about getting seconds of Sweet and Sour Pork, never do though... Oh, wait, you meant something else lol.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I think we can all expect and acknowledge some noise on a daily basis but when it becomes constant then it is a problem, my dogs can be noisy but for reason, that is why I have dogs, to Alert us of strange happenings. My neighbour complained about them, OK I said to Him now I will tell you why they were Barking last night, 1. Your daughter was saying a lengthy goodnight to her Boyfriend on a Running Motor cycle right outside my gates, There because you have barred his bike from your House. 2. Because she was there so were your Dogs and this again makes my Dogs Bark. My dogs only Bark when they feel the need. maybe you need to think about the consequences of your Actions that put others out just so you can get some sleep. We all need Sleep and on this Occasion and many more the Problem has been caused by you and Your family Not Mine.

Sorted? You bet ya! 

Good on you I remember somebody saying they bought a big speaker and put it outside with music blaring and when the neighbours complained told them nothing wrong with the noise I will not turn it down until you turn yours down and it worked.I was thinking of buying a big music box for here but as I am leaving they can stick it up their jumpers. I will not recommend  an expat to rent this place which is something I would have done 2 years ago. SELERIO APARTMENTS DALAGUETE BEWARE BE VERY AWARE.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

They just know that complaining won't help.

Tim, you are so right, one of the most frustrating things here is the sense of fatalism. "that's the way it is, so why try and change it?"

Before we build a house we did not live in a gated subdivision, and whenever people got too loud I went over there and asked them to turn it down. For some reason they mostlly did that and the neighbourhood actually got quieter. Other neighbours didn't say anything because that's how this society works. You are not allowed to confront people here, but living with their bullsh&t is actually a lot worse in my mind so I tried and it worked. You have to at least try... You got nothing to loose...

Yes nice read and I agree some of the time this can work, normally short term in my experience. After a period of nicely requesting I have found many people develop a mind set, the foreigner is trying control us....

We have a small issue, not uncommon where the maid a few houses from us has radio blaring when the couple are working. I became very friendly with the husband, well educated decent bloke. After explaining that his maid had radio blaring within seconds of him departing for work he flatly denied it. At one time it was so loud we could not even talk, she refused to acknowledge us so called the security guard whom totally agreed with us. A letter was sent to them, now this decent guy does not acknowledge me in any way at all.

If we are at the other side of our house on front Terrace it's OK otherwise at coffee (due to sun) on his side we just play our small speaker.

RBM
Posted
Posted

This really has made my mind up to rent and never buy, the funny thing is when I have slept over at the family house in marikina I hear no dogs or cocks

Steve this is just a part of the big picture when deciding rent or buy. We have to also consider our partner and perhaps kids and her security in life. Although this thread is focusing on the negative factors such as noise there are many positives in home ownership.

Noise is a factor in this country, very few are lucky enough to escape it, certainly not yours truly.

Personally I became very tired of moving place to place due to noise, now just accepted there for me anyway is no escape. We built and had a lot of drama, as do most. Now looking back zero regrets at all. Extremely satisfied we made decision and did it.

No not perfect, no matter what country never be perfect but one I believe must concentrate the over all picture and not be totally consumed by the common noise factor.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89:   I have my Wife at Home Today and so far she has driven me nuts, later I have to go to the NSO (PSA) with her so that will be Fun I am, sure ( She Told me that as I talk with my hands I should keep them in my Pockets :Mad:123 ) Anyway within this Topic I realize that some may be Unhappy being here and telling us all, in a disguised way but I think we should look at things as I do, For every day that people have a second thought about it. Stop and think for a second time about how good life can be because for every day I have had second thoughts, tomorrow is always Different and gives me a new reason not to have those  second thoughts.

Look at Kev (Sonjack) Second thoughts on Dalguete! So the Positive thing is Lets Move Honey? Sorted.

More positive thinking will Rid many of us of those second Thoughts, Those that have really had enough OK! move on, it's Your Life anyway and Best of Luck

Is Life Really That Bad?

That's me Folks, YMMV ( My mileage is always about Happiness)  :thumbs-up-smile:

Jack :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was woken up by noise this morning.

When I moved to this subdivision it was sooooooo quiet.  Then neighbors started moving in, often with 8 people living in a place that is meant for newlyweds and nearly-deads.  They send their kids out onto the street to play at 8 am so the mothers can have a snooze and the kids bang on the door and scream to get back in.  Then the immediate neighbors on both sides have got dogs.  They have recently started barking at each other when they hear the kids starting to scream.

Fortunately, by about 9, the mother lets the kid in, the dogs stfu and I can get a lie in 'till noon.  Life is still good!

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
( She Told me that as I talk with my hands I should keep them in my Pockets :Mad:123 )

Thats so funny, and the best bit i can see you doing it , just like me too

• Like 1