Expats Living In Philippines Having Second Thoughts......

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Speaking from pure ignorance about the vegetarian life style, I would have thought the Philippines would have been a vegetarian paradise with the abundance of fruits and vegetables shipped in daily to the wet markets. But then I have no clue.   Everything here, and I mean just about everything:

The few fruits and vegetables in our wet market are disgusting. I thought that it would be fresh and abundant but certainly not so.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Speaking from pure ignorance about the vegetarian life style, I would have thought the Philippines would have been a vegetarian paradise with the abundance of fruits and vegetables shipped in daily to the wet markets. But then I have no clue.   Everything here, and I mean just about everything:

The few fruits and vegetables in our wet market are disgusting. I thought that it would be fresh and abundant but certainly not so.

I guess it must depend on where you live here. Decent stuff here on Panay, but some of it is premium price if coming from Baguio broccoli, caulifower, maybe the carrots and spuds. Locally grown tropical is reasonable and decent quality. We grow a few things ourselves... tropical vegetables with seeds saved from our best stock, or bought at the store. Our 4 year old papaya tree is prolific and of huuuge girth.... and so very high that I fear for my wife's safety as she climbs up the 12 foot bamboo ladder and stretches from the top step to reach the ripe ones. The growth speed here is amazing to me.

Happy that my wife likes growing things and works at it.

• Like 5

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I could get up from my chair and get on a plane to the US right this minute, I would be gone. I hate how Filipinos treat their animals, how they treat their children, and how they treat ex pats. My wife was at the pharmacy the other day to buy some antibiotics. A furiner was there and asked for antibiotics. He was told they were out of stock. My wife proceeded to buy a box of a 100. I also don't like the corruption. But mainly I don't like the lack of the foods that I want to eat. I am a veggie for 35 years and I really miss the selection in the states. There is nothing here to make that lack tolerable. I don't like the prices of things. P400 for a half gallon of real ice cream that would cost $5 in the states. Olive oil for P1000 that costs $10 in the states. Sure, I pay $175 for a two bedroom two bathroom house with a nice yard that I couldn't touch in the states for that price, but I have a five year old daughter. Where are the parks with playground equipment for her to go to? Where is there a real zoo? She attends a private school that teaches her about jesus, no matter how many times I ask them not to. They tell her, Don't tell your dad about this. Sorry for the rant, but this place is not paradise for me, but I am very glad it is for you. We have been here five years and are looking at another two years before we can leave.

Sounds like we are almost in the same boat, especially with your regard for your daughter.  From schooling, medical care, a toxic culture, lack of morality and a real corruption at all levels....it just makes life hard here if you truly care about your kids.  Always good to see fathers putting their children before themselves.  Hope you make it to a happier place soon   :)

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I know that if we had children i would not be leaving England  to go to the Phils,

I am not saying its bad but only reading what others have said about schooling and worrying about there future i would more then happy stay in England , again we have our own problems here but better the devil you know, as they say

• Like 5

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
Always good to see fathers putting their children before themselves.
   That's pretty much the underlaying explanation, in a nutshell, as to why many cultural and subculture grouprs in all societies are successful and others aren't.

When sufficient heed and concern isn't given to the next generation, things always get worse. This now obviously applies to advanced economic nations as well as the emerging ones. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When sufficient heed and concern isn't given to the next generation, things always get worse.

My next Generation is having 2nd thoughts about getting up Today. It is 10.47am as I write this but my BIL tells me it is Kids Today. :rolleyes: post-2148-0-25582800-1456714148_thumb.jp MY! MY! where are we going wrong?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am very unlikely to retire in the Philippines primarily due to the very high cost of hospital/medical costs. Australia has the Medicare system which means that going to the MD is free (for now). What Im likely to do, though, is to spend an extended period of time in the Philippines (1-3 months), come back to Australia (7 months) and travel the world for the remaining portion of the year.

Great idea

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

I am very unlikely to retire in the Philippines primarily due to the very high cost of hospital/medical costs. Australia has the Medicare system which means that going to the MD is free (for now). What Im likely to do, though, is to spend an extended period of time in the Philippines (1-3 months), come back to Australia (7 months) and travel the world for the remaining portion of the year.

Great idea

Cheers

Well that's the theory, let's see if I can make it to a reality. Im still a fair bit way away from retirement though so things might change :)