Expats Living In Philippines Having Second Thoughts......

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
What Im likely to do, though, is to spend an extended period of time in the Philippines (1-3 months

:thumbsup:  Great life............JGF should start a sister forum "tourist in the Philippines" :mocking:  :cheersty:

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

What Im likely to do, though, is to spend an extended period of time in the Philippines (1-3 months

:thumbsup:  Great life............JGF should start a sister forum "tourist in the Philippines" :mocking:  :cheersty:

Im sure, sooner or later, the constant movement will tire me out. Hopefully, by then, I've found my piece of paradise and stick put for a loooong time.

Im, also thinking of constructing a health farm, specifically targeted to retirees who like a semi/full retirement living under the care of healthcare professionals. Its been at the back of my mind for the longest time, however, theres a lot of work involved maintaining this kind of business. I had a realisation on the operational challenges of running such place when I stayed at 'The Farm' in San Benito Batangas for 1 week.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Im sure, sooner or later, the constant movement will tire me out. Hopefully, by then, I've found my piece of paradise and stick put for a loooong time.

Im, also thinking of constructing a health farm, specifically targeted to retirees who like a semi/full retirement living under the care of healthcare professionals. Its been at the back of my mind for the longest time, however, theres a lot of work involved maintaining this kind of business. I had a realisation on the operational challenges of running such place when I stayed at 'The Farm' in San Benito Batangas for 1 week.

We have another member who is thinking of starting some type of care center in Philippines. If I understand correctly you are thinking of hosting retirees with care as needed in a hobby farm to tinker about?

• Like 1

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

We have another member who is thinking of starting some type of care center in Philippines. If I understand correctly you are thinking of hosting retirees with care as needed in a hobby farm to tinker about?

Yes something to that effect. Its like 'The Farm' at San Benito + a commune + a very "green hospital" where the focus is on blending Chinese med/ayurveda in the healing process. Importantly, I want it to feel "complete" because in the Philippines,a lot of  the structures there look and feel "unfinished".

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Yes something to that effect. Its like 'The Farm' at San Benito + a commune + a very "green hospital" where the focus is on blending Chinese med/ayurveda in the healing process. Importantly, I want it to feel "complete" because in the Philippines,a lot of  the structures there look and feel "unfinished".

Let's not push this topic into another subject. The subject is, Philippines, having second thoughts not what investment one is going to do.  

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
You may pay more in rent but you save money on electric since you don't need aircon.

The temperature goes down to 8 C or even as low a 6 C. An electric heater uses as much electric as an a/c. Likely one would need wool blankets, jackets, sweaters, toques, mitts, and shoes. The roads require 4WD and a shovel.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You may pay more in rent but you save money on electric since you don't need aircon.

The temperature goes down to 8 C or even as low a 6 C. An electric heater uses as much electric as an a/c. Likely one would need wool blankets, jackets, sweaters, toques, mitts, and shoes. The roads require 4WD and a shovel.

Yeah, I love those clear crisp cool Baguio mornings! Many homes in Baguio have fireplace's. I spent 2 years in Baguio and only felt the need for a heater a few weeks. As far as 4wd and a shovel I for one am not going to go out on the mountain roads when there are heavy rains and risk of landslide.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

Well, we have finally got all of our issues with my five year old daughter under control, and we still want to go back to the US. I bought 4 gallons of milk today at S&R for a cost of P1960 or $42. Milk in the US is about $3 not $5. Just another reason. Yes, you can live cheap here if you eat what the Filipinos eat, but the only thing I can figure out that is cheaper than the US is the price of rent. Food is cheaper, the food that I want to eat anyway. Electricity is cheaper, internet is cheaper. I just can't see how it can cost me more to live in Florida that it does to live here. Even if it does end up costing $500 or a $1000 more per month, at least I will have the things I want, my daughter can have a park with actual playground equipment, good schools, (as long as I do my homework before I buy). I can't wait to leave here. I know that a lot of people love it, but we don't. All of us have US passports so, no hassles there.

I lived in Florida and I liked it. If you aren't getting what you want, you would be crazy to stay where you are in my opinion. I bought chocolate milk about 10 days ago here in Ft. Worth Texas for $1.80 a gallon. There are undeniable benefits to living in a first world country, I am certainly soaking them up and will stock up on tech items to bring some of it back to the Philippines with me when I return.