Time

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My wife is late most of the time.

You are a very lucky man then. ALL is the Operative word in this HOUSE, I kid you not.

Now Dog Feeding time, that's a different story, they have their noses up at the Door within 5 mins of their normal Feeding times & They are Filipino's Too  :hystery:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You guys we got this all wrong.

This according to my wife........... if a Filipino speaks Spanish words for time it's Filipino not Spanish because "that's how we do it". :rolleyes:

Can't argue with that logic. :no:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This according to my wife........... if a Filipino speaks Spanish words for time it's Filipino not Spanish because "that's how we do it". :rolleyes:

:hystery: post-2148-0-90331000-1456796325_thumb.jp  Nothing else to say on this is there

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted

My 12 year old daughter was reading this thread with me last night before bed and laughing. She told me that time means nothing here because - "The Philippines is the land that time forgot."

Personal note,,,,, I would be inclined to agree with her  :541: ..

Nephi

• Like 3

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

but rarely in Tagalog

It is really just all about the evolution of language. Time is quite simple if we think about it. The natives did not have clocks at the time of the Spanish arrival. So when the Spanish introduced telling time the locals used their words, and natuarally when the Americans came in it just switched to English.

There are a lot of words that originate in Spanish and English, the Filipinos have changed the spelling to match their phonetic understanding.

Another great example is horse. The Spanish brought them and Spanish for horse is Caballo in tagalog it is kabayo.

service in Spanish is servicio in tagalog serbisyo

It all really depends upon when an idea or object was introduced to the populace. English is a great language for stealing words from other languages also. For example:

For us Americans the word "Boondocks" means way out in the countryside. We actually got that word from here in the Philippines. When American soldiers had to go on a long patrol they would ask their native guides where so and so a place was and the guide would say "Oh sir, that is in the Bundok!"  which means remote rural area in Tagolog.

I can just picture how the conversation went. "HEY Sarge, where the heck are we going?" "Well Private, our guide here says we are going to the Bun.. er um...to the Boondock or something like that! Now shut up and put your pack on!"

Languages are fascinating,,,,,Ok, ok,,i know, I need a life :hystery:

Its an interesting thesis you've put forth on Filipino time, which I believe forms some basis to the cause for Filipinos to tell time in either Spanish or English. . Although, my suspicion is that Filipinos in the pre-colonial times did not have a numeric structure of time (equivalent to hours/minutes seconds etc...). In the Visayan pre-colonial times, for instance, they gauged their months based on seasons and events such as the coming of typhoons and the phases of the moon. This was observed by Miguel de Loarca in 1582 (http://pinoy-culture.com/the-visayans-timekeeping-in-pre-colonial-times/). So perhaps a key reason why Filipinos dont tell time in Tagalog is because the division of time in a day might not have been a concept that was understood, and therefore not spoken about in their local vernacular. Instead of telling time by the minute or the hour, they spoke about time in the cloak/context of a major event (eg typhoons) or lunar transitions. So, when the Spaniards colonised the Philippines, they brought with them the Western Calendar and concepts of time spoken in Spanish.

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Time concepts here seem to have the same chaotic mix as the languages. Makes me think of Alice in Wonderland's comment about a word meaning whatever she chooses it to mean at the time of use. Ditto for 'time'.

Employees at some businesses are prompt or they're docked and penalized. In other places, businesses and institutions... its a very slippery time use.

This is obviously not a cuture 'run by time' (e.g. USA, Japan) The walking speeds are slow even in A/C environments and the work speeds are different here in most cases. There's historically valid reasons for it tied to economics and the slow rate of change over to modernity.

I was looking about and found an interesting article on Wikipedia entitled, "Chronemics" that explains the differences between 'monochronic people'/ cultures  and "polychronic people/cultures' on a nice simple table. Seems to apply to the PI as well as South American and other culures.

In X-cultural adaptions, its said after language, dealing with the time culture differences  comes in second for creating difficulties. 

I used to get peeved at my asawa's casual sauntering pace when I had things to buy and places to go. I used to forge ahead and leave her in the dust, knowing full well that she didn't want to meet my pace. She never succumbed and after a while I did rather than cause emotional friction. I now tag along behind or beside and just go with the flow.

I am now 'Time Bi-Polar" (heh-heh, not really) since I live in two very different time cultures in any given year. You have to use two personal OS's if you're bouncing back and forth. Schitzophrenia at its best.   :3_8_14[1]:

• Like 5