Lost In Translation

chris49
Posted
Posted

Jeepney and bus conductors around Manila.

Bow bow bow.....means Cubao.....and they will shout that.

Apo**,,,,apo....apo.....Quiapo...

**Apo....also Iliocano for God,,,,can be confusing as hell.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The dialect around here changes if you go over the bridge going out  of here so itis difficult for anybody to learn a language when that is the case.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Frankly I think "they" must be just messing with you guys.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I can relate to this topic.  My SO has a degree in English and there are times when I do not understand some words she says, but overall

communication between us is excellent and I am amazed how she wants to improve her knowledge of the west.

But hearing problems, that is another thing, I have the same problem, as I know my friend Chris has also.  Am about to get a set of

hearing aids when I go back to Oz in 4 weeks.

My wife insists on talking to me whilst looking the other way frustrating.  I remind her and she is good for at least 10 minutes!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 2 March 2016 at 8:33 AM, mogo51 said:

I can relate to this topic.  My SO has a degree in English and there are times when I do not understand some words she says, but overall

communication between us is excellent and I am amazed how she wants to improve her knowledge of the west.

But hearing problems, that is another thing, I have the same problem, as I know my friend Chris has also.  Am about to get a set of

hearing aids when I go back to Oz in 4 weeks.

My wife insists on talking to me whilst looking the other way frustrating.  I remind her and she is good for at least 10 minutes!!

My problem also. I have slight hearing loss and I know that I need a hearing aid but I refuse. I have no trouble one on one conversation. My problem is the same as yours with spouse. Her accent and pronunciation of words plus turning the other way when speaking to me. I get tired of asking her "WHAT?" 

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

My problem also. I have slight hearing loss and I know that I need a hearing aid but I refuse. I have no trouble one on one conversation. My problem is the same as yours with spouse. Her accent and pronunciation of words plus turning the other way when speaking to me. I get tired of asking her "WHAT?" 

It is still better than some of the conversations I had with previous wives, I know which one I would rather be saying 'what' to.  My life is so much more peaceful with my SO.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 6:07 PM, Old55 said:

Frankly I think "they" must be just messing with you guys.

It goes both ways. I had a friend whose wife had excellent English skills and we started speaking "pig"latin in front if her. That would be Igpay Atinlay.:hystery:

• Like 1