Adapting To The New Culture-Lightly Humorous

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
"Ok, now what's My Price?".............I damn near choked and realized I was in for one heck of a ride  .
That is a classic,one thing do you think we could actually ask for discount,would it be down to the manager of the store?I had to stop my wife from using my chefs knives to open the cans I am still trying to get her to use a mop instead of a rag on her foot to clean the floor.I managed to stop her littering very early on and it is rubbing off on our daughter.

We went to comolec one time and I said do they have your ID and my wife said no it takes 2 years I said just ask no my wife said it takes 2 years.I said who told you that, my friend she said I said was it the same friend who told you how to get your passport yes she said so I asked the lady teller if she had the ID she looked and found it and gave it to my wife. I told my wife your friend does not have a passport and probably has never been to comolec(commission on elections)so don`t listen to her again. She never got her passport from the incorrect information given to her by her friend.She will actually go to the PC for information now.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Was she surprised that there were not shelves and more shelves filled with whitening creams and lotions? 

Was she surprised that there were other choices besides Nestles?

Like you said, I'm sure there are many more surprises. 

I'll be going thru that soon. I'm ready.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Well, whether your wife/SO is moving to or visiting your country for the first time or visa versa whereas you have just landed to live in her country and are getting your gears (some may need to think back a bit), there's always those quirky first time observations and things the newbie in the new country can't seem to quite grasp or understand. When questioning these things to your wife/SO that question may be met with a bit of a chuckle from your partner who sees your confusion as an every day occurrence in their world. By example from my end-when my wife (born and raised in the province-or should I say "A" province) landed here in the US she was wide eyed yet very confused.

example 1-why are all the trees dead (me-they are sleeping sweetie-this is winter) why is the grass yellow here (same answer)

example 2-sweetie-here's how to use a can opener

example 3-amazed at the auto car wash-she wondered if this would be effective with caribous in the dry season

example 4-No honey that's not a "fiso" that's a Ford F150

example 5-why are the driving rules so strict (well, sweetie...lives matter and I hope one day they get stricter in the Philippines too)

example 6-in the grocery store-Where are all the sachets?

example 7-trying to smell the chicken and beef through those sealed packages in the grocery store

There's more-actually. It's fun to see her reaction to many new things in her new environment-although texting is more of a passion to her and her friends still than calling (with unlimited free long distance calling)-old habits die hard-if at all. I'm just as curious on the other end if when you landed in the Philippines if you had any experiences there that was similar. I know in a few years I'm going to be making some folks laugh with (what I think will be) some so called serious questions.

I have been to Phils 5 times and the supermarket experience there is quite different to Thailand.  The Thais follow pretty much the western marketing styples.  In Phils, it is like going back about 40 years or so, how it was back in Oz when the small corner stores were still around. But overall I sort of liked how it was hanging onto that era - maybe I  thought it made me feel younger?

I really haven't spent any time in their wet markets but am looking forward to the experience, having seen a bit on Utube.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I really haven't spent any time in their wet markets but am looking forward to the experience,

Nows my friend that will be an experience! Don't forget the Wellies. post-2148-0-10976400-1456878839_thumb.jp :hystery:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I really haven't spent any time in their wet markets but am looking forward to the experience, having seen a bit on Utube.

Can you see the flies on YouTube videos?  There seems to be electrical wires strung everywhere at a height of 6 feet.  The flies use those as landing fields and parking spots.  If you are over 5 foot 10 you will constantly be ducking down or covered in flies.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Can you see the flies on YouTube videos?  There seems to be electrical wires strung everywhere at a height of 6 feet.  The flies use those as landing fields and parking spots.  If you are over 5 foot 10 you will constantly be ducking down or covered in flies.

What your Youtube visions can't convey is.... how shall I phrase this ????..... you are in for some unique olfactory experiences. Nothing like 'being there', in Oh-so-many-ways. :mocking:

robert k
Posted
Posted

I found some wet markets not too bad, Socorro on Mindoro for example. Some do have quite a pong though. Still safe to eat though if you cook it well done, I never had any problems with the food until I had some chicken curry at Puerto Galera. The service water will get you though. Even when you see it came from a blue purified water jug, where did the ice come from?

• Like 2