My retirement here is Not what I expected

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

You know, the more I think about this and the more I read some good and even unusual answers.  Lets ask ourselves the Question, What DID we really expect from our Retirement here?

For me, Life is just how I imagined it, same S...t Daily as we still need Money and Ideas to Live but now I have time, to deal with these things. :89: But then, What would we Expect and get, if we all stayed at Home where (Well most) will say I could not afford to Retire at home. So again for me it has to be Tomorrow is another day.

Maybe we should all just be thankful we can get up in the morning and have our daily moan. I know I will.:56da632e94212_1(60): 

Well all i want is to feel the sun on my face chill out and take lots of pictures and thats just the first day, the next day wear a hat and chill out and take more pictures,

Edited by stevewool
wrong spelling
  • Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I do not wish to sound condescending Queenie, but beside this being a good post, the thought came to my

mind that perhaps it is more difficult for you than it is for a male.  I would think your challenges would have

been higher up the scale.  As you infer, men can find a few other guys, go have a few beers and feel better in themselves.

It is pleasing to read viewpoints from another direction and think you are bringing some great information to the forum, thank you.

Hi Mogo51,

Thanks for the kind words about my posts.

Yes I agree with what you're saying that a woman expat's point of view might be different. I have not had the advantages that you fellow expat males have had in being able to discuss and compare notes about how other peoples' experiences have been. Really besides a few local expat guys I have met nearby, none of them could really relate or talk about what I was thinking, or would I expect them too.  I feel grateful for on-line forums like this one and others to read the many opinions and outlooks that people have about living and spending time in this country.

Also, we all come from somewhat different circumstances that could mean different expectations too.  My husband and I had lived in the US for quite a long time before moving back here. Others have married a local woman and live with them here. Others have moved here as a single person possibly looking to settle down or just a person wanting to live a different bachelor lifestyle than before etc.

I think that we all agree that "at the end of the day" we all have to live in our own heads no matter where we settle, and it helps to have a pretty good outlook before we get here, and not look for the Philippines to make us completely happy.

Patience and a good sense of humor are great assets to living here, and it might take others even longer to mellow out and accept some of the ways that are different here, which will add to their happiness and expectations being met.

Money and budgets are something that we all have to consider, so that can have a bearing on ones outlook and expectations too.

Hey--maybe I tend to "over think" things, and I think that as I said a lot of my concerns have gone by the wayside by now:) Self actualization and all (lol)

Whether we expected many things or had simple uncomplicated desires , I can see by the many positive responses, that for the people that are happy here, their expectations have for the most part have been met right away or over time been revamped or changed to meet their needs.

Queenie

3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I do not wish to sound condescending Queenie, but beside this being a good post, the thought came to my

mind that perhaps it is more difficult for you than it is for a male.  I would think your challenges would have

been higher up the scale.  As you infer, men can find a few other guys, go have a few beers and feel better in themselves.

It is pleasing to read viewpoints from another direction and think you are bringing some great information to the forum, thank you.

Hi Mogo51,

I agree that 

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 5 March 2016 at 7:38 PM, Nephi said:

I think that after being single for so long my biggest adjustment was compromise. It was an adjustment but now if I want everything my way only - I just go have a burger at Wendy's at our closest SM mall :crack-up:..

I was single for a long time also. I cannot adjust to Filipino food. I cook my own food and do my own laundry. I will eat some filipino food but not all. So, I suppose I tolerate the little things that I cannot adjust to.

Not retired yet. 

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I must disagree with Queenie, It is difficult to live in my head when I am out of my mind.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:58 AM, Gratefuled said:

I was single for a long time also. I cannot adjust to Filipino food. I cook my own food and do my own laundry. I will eat some filipino food but not all. So, I suppose I tolerate the little things that I cannot adjust to.

Not retired yet. 

Surprising. You are missing a lot.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
On 3/7/2016 at 8:58 PM, Gratefuled said:

Not retired yet. 

I dont mind Filipino food aslong as the main spice they use isn't sugar. Unfortunately sugar seems the be their main choice of spice haha. Took abit, but i have managed to hide the sugar jar in the house while im there eating the food :D.

• Like 2

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted
On 3/6/2016 at 11:23 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Another problem with retirement in Philippines is the difficulty of finding affordable, good, beef.  Its not impossible but the good beef is often imported frozen and sometimes they don't take proper care of it in the shops.

Here's what happened tonight.  My wonderful wife took a steak from the freezer and spent hours thawing, seasoning, cooking it and preparing the gravy. But when I sat to eat, the middle of the steak was a dark grey and it smelled off.  Having a sensitive, old, stomach I could not take the chance so I had to throw it out.  2 points to learn from this for those who have not made the move yet.  First, good beef is hard to find and Second, filipinas really don't know what it should look or smell like so even after teaching her to cook it properly it may still be horrid.

Looks like peanut butter sandwiches tonight.

Hence, the need to cook (or overcook) beef really well. Its only in expensive restaurants where prime grade beef, usually sourced in the US or Australia, can you enjoy a rare steak.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Well, when I retire, it wont be here. I've seen and heard enough. Not that I ever planned to. 

When I retire, I want my friends and relatives to be nearby so I can visit them whenever I want. I can't see myself growing old without my sons and grand children. 

I've lost one dear friend to cancer since I've been here and it pained me not to be close by. We grew up together and lived in the same area when I came here.

I owe it to my friends and relatives to be nearby when I grow old. I don't want to be just a memory.